PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Hi-Fi VHS players for audio !

nat8808
03-03-2013, 01:42
Hi all, not posted in the AV section before I don't think.... lucky you.

I'm having a clearout and realised a VHS player i found works (had assumed I'd tried it and it was broken..).

It's a Panasonic NV-F70B, has nice jog wheel, nicely made etc. Am listening to a Madonna live video (I found it too, honest! Like a Virgin going into MJ's Billy Jean and back...) on headphones without a screen connected - sounds good.

So, I'm wondering what top of the line models there are out there from yesterday that will hopefully be cheap now (so discounts anything too speciallised and collectable - saw a NV800B sell for £300 for example).

I feel there's a vast wealth of music videos and concerts out there on VHS waiting to be tapped (not taped..) for cheap. Oh, the number of tape collections I've seen thrown out on the streets and just walked past.. "Must..not..stop..and..pick..up..rubbish..."

Can anyone recommend any? Or do you think that this NV F70B is not going to be far from the best audio-wise anyway?

UV101
03-03-2013, 07:26
I used to use a Philips specifically for audio. Used in "HiFi" mode it's was very good indeed. Can't remember the model number. At the time believe it or not, Nokia made TV and VCRs! Their top of the line video was also very good. I'm sure I have some hifi tapes kicking around too ;)

synsei
03-03-2013, 07:33
I owned a Marantz HiFi VCR which not only sounded amazing on music play back but was built like a piece of top end hifi. Again I forget the model but being Marantz there's a good chance that it probably contained the same mech as the one in Ian's Philips.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDxdnGDigJnSj0mxkEVhKTqXlYhYC-3JAhElzMsiJUosw_JV7u

The design aesthetic of the unit was similar to that of the equipment above although the VCR was a 1990's model. Mine was branded Granada but on the rear panel there was a Manaufactured by Marantz sticker.

Thing Fish
03-03-2013, 08:02
I still use a Panasonic NVHS 900 in my second back room system for music playback only.

SVHS tapes can be picked up cheap now - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUJI-SVHS-TAPES-S-VHS-TAPE-MASTER-QUALITY-VHS-BOX-OF-10-/140915138828?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item20cf32610c

The sound is fantastic and it's great for parties as I can make extra long mix tapes just like when I was a teenager...:eek:

Gazjam
03-03-2013, 08:51
Gawd that takes me back :)

Had a Sony "hifi" VCR that sounded fab through its analogue outs into my A400 and Mission 760's!

Great wee system that was too, my Brothers got it now still doing the business.

Ali Tait
03-03-2013, 09:15
I owned a Marantz HiFi VCR which not only sounded amazing on music play back but was built like a piece of top end hifi. Again I forget the model but being Marantz there's a good chance that it probably contained the same mech as the one in Ian's Philips.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDxdnGDigJnSj0mxkEVhKTqXlYhYC-3JAhElzMsiJUosw_JV7u

The design aesthetic of the unit was similar to that of the equipment above although the VCR was a 1990's model. Mine was branded Granada but on the rear panel there was a Manaufactured by Marantz sticker.

Loving that avatar Dave! :lol:

greenhomeelectronics
03-03-2013, 09:23
I have a Panasonic VF-FS88HQ if that's any good for you? It is a 4 head super VHS with NICAM. Nicam is the allimportant bit for decent audio reproduction. Just in case you don't know it stands for near instantaneous companded audio multiplex. standard VHS uses a very thin strip of te slow moving tape for the audio track so standard quality is very poor. Nicam uses the helical scanning heads to use a much larger tape area and therefore a hugely improved sound quality. I would have to test it as it has not been used for a while. How does £60 plus post sound?
Regards,
Dave.

Macca
03-03-2013, 09:24
The old Mitsubishi Diamond series were awesome - always wanted one but they were silly money - of course I am going back almost a quarter of a century. You've piqued my interest, might have a look on eBay.

synsei
03-03-2013, 10:20
Loving that avatar Dave! :lol:

Cheers Ali :D

Mr Kipling
03-03-2013, 11:22
And get this, Nat - 370757330333. AWESOME! But that's just my opinion. The Blueray's only £10 from the US but don't know what the sound quality is like . The dvd is disappointing.

UV101
07-03-2013, 20:42
I'm not 100% sure but I think when you use HiFi mode, it uses additional heads on the drum as opposed to the std audio track which is a small linear section at the base of the tape. It means you are using the majority of the tape width scanned very quickly diagonally. That's I believe why the audio is so good. It's a bit like using 2" wide tape!

I'm scanning eBay as we speak ;)

nat8808
08-03-2013, 06:59
Thanks for the recommendations, people.

Because I already have this NV F70B, if I looked into getting another one, it would have to be something better than what I already have.

Is there much difference between them all or is quality limited essentially to the tape and methods?

I don't have a TV - life's too short - hence why I was listening to it with out picture, but I found a Techwood 17" widescreen LCD tv/monitor the other day missing a PSU. Tidying up, I found I already had a suitable supply! Hoarding does work out sometimes! So will have to check out it's video quality..

nat8808
08-03-2013, 07:00
I have a Panasonic VF-FS88HQ if that's any good for you? It is a 4 head super VHS with NICAM. Nicam is the allimportant bit for decent audio reproduction. Just in case you don't know it stands for near instantaneous companded audio multiplex. standard VHS uses a very thin strip of te slow moving tape for the audio track so standard quality is very poor. Nicam uses the helical scanning heads to use a much larger tape area and therefore a hugely improved sound quality. I would have to test it as it has not been used for a while. How does £60 plus post sound?
Regards,
Dave.

Thanks for the offer. I already have the NV-F70B so would have to try to work out how much better it would be.

walpurgis
08-03-2013, 12:09
Just think of the fun. All those tapes that tangle in the machine, the jammed cassettes, the noise from old tapes that have transposed layer to layer. Goody!

nat8808
08-03-2013, 13:58
Never had that happen before. Though I've had scratched CDs, DVDs, hard drives crash, amps go to smoke, styli break... ! Arrgh. Who'd have any equipment, ever? Then strings break, trumpet valves stick, throats get sore aargh, who'd have music at all !

Because of the striped recording method, the imprint wouldn't be obvious in a normal way, not like some "remastered from original master tape" CDs I have where you can clearly hear the imprint from the master tapes.

Can't sound any worse than a sctrached record. (Have I covered all formats yet?)

walpurgis
08-03-2013, 18:21
Never had that happen before. Though I've had scratched CDs, DVDs, hard drives crash, amps go to smoke, styli break... ! Arrgh. Who'd have any equipment, ever? Then strings break, trumpet valves stick, throats get sore aargh, who'd have music at all !

Because of the striped recording method, the imprint wouldn't be obvious in a normal way, not like some "remastered from original master tape" CDs I have where you can clearly hear the imprint from the master tapes.

Can't sound any worse than a sctrached record. (Have I covered all formats yet?)

You missed out Minidisc, DAT, Elcassette, Laserdisc!

Thing Fish
08-03-2013, 19:19
A good SVHS recording played on the right player through a half decent amp gives surprisingly good results. If you have one already knocking about it's well worth checking out.

DSJR
08-03-2013, 20:37
The Panny F70 was a stunning machine and if service kits, especially a new pressure roller, are availabe, it should go on for many many years.

Most old VHS machines need regular pressure roller checks if mangled tapes are to be avoided. Some of the guides are set to put slight pressure on the edges of the tape, and a worn or excessivey contaminated pressure roller can cause the tape to buckle further beyond the point of no return. Been there, done that at the time and this is irrespective of maker...

Ali Tait
08-03-2013, 21:04
I have read articles on the web stating that SVHS machines can sound as good or better than R to R when recording audio.

Back in the day I had a top of the range Sony jobbie that sounded fantastic.

DSJR
09-03-2013, 10:48
The heads on the drum had to be properly matched for levels if a low level buzz was to be avoided. I think the general public were confused about using a video medium as an audio only source though, although the Pro based Betamax PCM-F1 was and I think remains (to those that remember them), a very good recording device and rather better in playback than the eary domestic CD players around at the time.

Marvan
09-03-2013, 13:26
Gents
I anyone wants my Nicam VHS Player they can have it for the cost of the postage or for nothing if they want to collect it
I do not have the original box, but it would be wrapped within an inch of its life!
Cheers
Marvan