PDA

View Full Version : I know what I saw, or do you?

synsei
27-02-2013, 07:43
It must be pretty obvious to you all by now that I run a UFO forum, and no, we are not tin foil hat wearing, excitable types who misidentify Jumbo jets as alien motherships. We are a group of curious people, some of whom have had some very odd experiences, who just want to get to the bottom of some of the stranger things that have been reported over the years and continue to be reported by many respectable people, and maybe add to our knowledge of our own experiences.

Some people find it impossible to be objective about this subject and prefer instead to hide behind the churlish tabloid attitudes that are brought into play whenever something unusual is reported. Perhaps the ramifications of the subject frightens them, after all, if it is true that we are being visited by other alien civilisations it would have a huge influence on human affairs at every level.

Whilst it is absolutely true that 95% of all UFO sightings can be explained away as known phenomena or objects, that still leaves around 5% which bear further investigation. Considering some of the stranger scientific research projects which have attracted funding over the years, such as why Bananas are curved for example, then it seems strange that there has never been a serious, independent scientific study into the UFO phenomenon. Doesn't this seem a little odd to you, perhaps even stranger than the subject itself? What government would not want to address the possibility of unidentified craft traversing their airspace with impunity? It would seem that if you were to fly your own aircraft through certain well protected patches of sky throughout the world you could expect a rather stern response from whichever government happened to control it, however swap your aircraft for something a little more exotic and it may be reasonable to expect no reaction at all, except for vehement and active denials that your craft was ever there and in fact never existed in the first place.

Forget Roswell! A bold statement that, but hear me out. Whatever happened on that fateful summer evening in 1947, the story has been so tarnished by lies, misdirection and time that it may as well have never happened. That won't be a popular attitude for those who believe at any cost, but there it is, or was. There are far more deserving and better reported incidents that might vie for our attention, one of the most disturbing of which occurred in Westall, Melbourne, Australia on the 6th of April 1966 and which involved over 200 students, teachers and local residents in a daylight sighting of two, silver, flying disks which alighted in a paddock behind the school and adjacent to an area known locally as The Grange at around 11am that morning. Why disturbing? It is disturbing because of the lengths that the Australian authorities, supported by US interests, went to to silence all the witnesses, and the concerted efforts employed to bury all reported information regarding the incident. Below is an intriguing documentary into this incident and the subsequent attempts to cover it up.

bTqE805dhOE

I will post more interesting stuff when time allows and I promise you that I am only interested in the truth, whatever that may be, even if that truth should point to there not being any visiting spacecraft from far off civilisations.

In the meantime, lets hear about anything unusual you guys might have experienced, even if it turned out to be something quite mundane in the end :)

electric beach
27-02-2013, 09:50
We seem to get a lot of 'erratic movement lights' sightings here, east of London. With all the air traffic in the area it must surely be well monitored.

A few months ago there were three 'lights' moving in formation at quite a steady speed and quite close, which then shot off into the distance on different paths and at incredible speed. My son-in-law took a phone video and still shots, viewed many times with friends that evening. Many people saw the event; people stopped at the roadside to watch.

The next morning all the photographic 'evidence' had disappeared. :doh: :scratch:

My strapline seems quite pertinent here.

Macca
27-02-2013, 13:08
I'm at work but will have a look at the documentary later. Of all the documented encounters I think the Rendalsham Forest incident is probbaly one of the most convincing as far as being genuinley unexplained. I love the 'ancient astronaut' theories as well. Conventional historians scoff at the idea that aliens might have seeded civilisation and indeed humanity but if true it would explain an awful lot of things that are currently baffling to history and science.

hoopsontoast
27-02-2013, 13:31
Were there any credible UFO sightings before WW2 and the emergence of Sci-Fi Films/TV in the 50's?
Or are they all inspired by early sci-fi novels like War of the Worlds etc?

Ali Tait
27-02-2013, 15:14
I am a life long sci fi fan, but I can't help thinking, it's an awful long way to come and not announce yourself to the world.

Covenant
27-02-2013, 15:34
That's the way I think about it Ali. If they have the technology to travel between star systems they wouldn't be afraid to announce their arrival. Not with our primitive ways.

johnwhit
27-02-2013, 15:41
Depends on their motive and intentions:scratch:

John

synsei
27-02-2013, 15:56
Were there any credible UFO sightings before WW2 and the emergence of Sci-Fi Films/TV in the 50's?

During the latter stages of the war both sides documented sightings of glowing orbs (known colloquially as Foo Fighters) which followed aircraft for hundreds of miles. In the main the phenomena harmlessly kept formation with the aircraft, but there are a few reports which document more sinister encounters where aircraft were buzzed and where electrical systems and engines were affected to the point of failure. The somewhat humorous irony is that both sides assumed they were a secret weapon belonging to the other :)

sq225917
27-02-2013, 17:47
I once spent the night flying a black, ten foot, Flexifoil stacker kite with a light stick attached to it. Due to the aspect of the field and the wind direction I could choose to hover the kite out of site, literally below ground level (off the edge of the field which ends in a cliff) and then whip it back into the sky instantly.

Of course from the road you couldn't see me, or the kite, just the light stick, which was moving erratically at warp speed then dissapeared instantly. Yeh we made the local radio that night and the Sheffield Star the next morning- UFO seen at Burbage, unexplained lights seen over farm land. lol.

Spectral Morn
27-02-2013, 18:47

Yes Phantom Airship sightings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship The phenomena seems to be interpreted in the light of the current technology, culture and folklore of those witnessing the phenomena. Some Ufologists have moved away from nuts and bolts tech explanations such as Jacques Vallée to a more spiritual explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Vall%C3%A9e

I personally think we are dealing with a natural as yet unidentified effect and not technology except in the case of experimental air-plane misidentification.

The Hessdalen lights I think strongly suggest this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessdalen_light Link to Project Hessdalen http://www.hessdalen.org/

Regards Neil

synsei
27-02-2013, 19:26
The Hessdalen Lights are an interesting phenomenon although there has been little activity in the region for quite a few years Neil. I agree with you that whatever phenomenon or phenomena have been witnessed in different periods, on the whole they reflect that periods technological standing. This begs an interesting question, if there is intelligence behind what is happening are the instances being specifically tailored to suit the whole, or perhaps even the individual? It is curious how scriptures from the various religions around the world have many things in common, recounting the same stories and even mentioning the same people. Have we, as a people, been 'managed' throughout our history perhaps?

archiesdad
27-02-2013, 19:31
A whole lotta stars and so solar systems, so why shouldn't there be life out there? and looking at our world and our ways, would you stop and say hallo?

hoopsontoast
27-02-2013, 19:59
A whole lotta stars and so solar systems, so why shouldn't there be life out there? and looking at our world and our ways, would you stop and say hallo?

I am a firm believer that there is life, of some sort out there but not in our observable universe and almost certainly not in the same form we see life down on earth.

If these sightings were an extra terestrial life form, there would be more than a few odd one off sightings, of such varied forms.

synsei
27-02-2013, 20:25
Our 'observable' universe now stretches back to within just a few million years from the Big Bang ;)

There are trillions of stars in our galaxy and astrophysicists now agree that life is more likely to form than not on a planet within a stars Goldilocks zone if conditions are favourable. They estimate that there could be at worst, hundreds of thousands of planets just within our galaxy that may support life of some kind or another. It is in its nature for life to evolve therefore there is far from a cat in hells chance that sentient life might exist on a few of those planets too. I am confident enough in this to state that we are most probably not alone.

SteveW
27-02-2013, 22:16
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/9662DAA2-51C5-4846-85A1-D15F3322EBC4-1997-000002336EBDBD05_zps9df04579.jpg

Can't explain this one.. Can only describe what we saw.
Between 1997 and 2002 we lived in Mumbai and the pic above shows the view from our first flat. Overlooked Back Bay, looking towards the Oberoi hotel (one of the ones attacked by terrorist a couple of years ago).
So one night my wife was looking out the bedroom window and said to me 'what do you think that is?'
It was late evening and 'floating' above the bay was 3 glowing lights, just stationary .. and situated half way across the bay. I had no idea what we were looking at, but we watched for several minutes until they just all moved in unison, climbing higher at around 45 degrees and away out to sea.
My wife simply said 'did you see that?'
I had.. But to this day I have no idea what we saw.

At the time I looked up some UFO sites, and even reported it on one, but never read about anyone else seeing what we had.

I am a natural cynic, and don't believe in ufo's, alien sightings etc
However, I can't rationalise what we saw.

synsei
27-02-2013, 22:23
Your reaction to your experience is typical to that of 99% of people who see strange stuff in the sky Steve. Most of us chug along in our daily lives expecting the ground to be solid, grass to be green and the sky to be full of stuff we can instantly identify, and then one day... WHAM!!!... something comes along which does not fit into our neat and tidy classification system and it makes us feel uncomfortable and just a little bit silly. What you and your partner saw might have a perfectly reasonable explanation, but as it stands, and strictly adhering to the definition, you witnessed an unidentified flying object. Of course that does not mean it was a spaceship... ;)

SteveW
27-02-2013, 22:40
:)D
Your reaction to your experience is typical to that of 99% of people who see strange stuff in the sky Steve. Most of us chug along in our daily lives expecting the ground to be solid, grass to be green and the sky to be full of stuff we can instantly identify, and then one day... WHAM!!!... something comes along which does not fit into our neat and tidy classification system and it makes us feel uncomfortable and just a little bit silly. What you and your partner saw might have a perfectly reasonable explanation, but as it stands, and strictly adhering to the definition, you witnessed an unidentified flying object. Of course that does not mean it was a spaceship... ;)

Exactly.
I've naturally puzzled over it.
Especially as the three lights remained in a cluster and maintained their relationship to each other as they moved. And the rapid speed as they went.
I like to think we witnessed an I credibly high spec 'drone' or something.
But I have no idea.

Sonority
27-02-2013, 22:56
I doubt we are alone in the universe.
I am happy to accept that.
What I really struggle with is the science involved.
Unless the other life forms have instigated travel at faster than the speed of light, then they have travelled 10's of millions of years to get here?
I assume they have a barber on board if you get my drift?
Unexplained - yes. Lifeforms on board? Thats where I really struggle.

MartinT
28-02-2013, 08:38
Stephen has just voiced my similar feelings. I believe that statistics alone suggest that there is very probably life out there on other worlds, perhaps quite a lot. However, the limitations of speed of travel, the ultimate limit of the speed of light and the fantastical distances involved in just getting to the nearest star very likely isolate each life sustaining world from ever visiting any other. It is extremely unlikely, even given the age of the universe, that any aliens will have developed the ability to travel such that they could visit us. We are also hidden from most of them by the expanding bubble of only 100 years of radio broadcasts still touching only a tiny fraction of other worlds (within 100 light years).

Macca
28-02-2013, 08:42
They could be from other dimensions, alternate earths if you like. Just because we have not got to the point where we can even hypothesise about traveling through space/time or dimensions does not mean that other beings have not mastered this. It is a big universe and a civilisation that has been progressing for hundreds of millions of years (as opposed to our couple of thousand years) might have found a way. In fact if there are infinite parallel dimensions then the odds would be very slim that they have not managed it yet.

synsei
28-02-2013, 08:46
All salient points Martin but based on mankind's very limited perception and understanding of how the universe works. Theories are all well and good but they are never cast in stone ;)

The Grand Wazoo
28-02-2013, 09:03
Do you think hi-fi gear is cheaper in a parallel universe?

synsei
28-02-2013, 09:04
Dunno, could always ask a friendly alien? :lol:

MartinT
28-02-2013, 09:11
All salient points Martin but based on mankind's very limited perception and understanding of how the universe works. Theories are all well and good but they are never cast in stone ;)

Totally agree, the beauty of science is that theories can and do change according to what we learn. As opposed to the rigidity of religion that already knows everything.

synsei
28-02-2013, 09:15
Tru dat :)

I do speculate occasionally that religion and the UFO phenomenon might be two sides of the same coin. That is a drastic oversimplification but I think you get my drift.

walpurgis
28-02-2013, 21:06
I've seen a UFO, but I sure as hell don't believe in visits from (non-existent) extra terrestrials. Every sighting has a logical explanation, even the as yet unexplained ones.

southall-1998
28-02-2013, 21:08
I once saw a UFO in the sky shaped like a piece of dog shit!

Probably came from Geoff's dog? :)

walpurgis
28-02-2013, 21:09
I once saw a UFO in the sky shaped like a piece of dog shit!

Probably came from Geoff's dog? :)

That's crap Shane!

synsei
28-02-2013, 21:22
They travel in pairs you know... :cool:

southall-1998
28-02-2013, 21:39
Next time I see a UFO, I'm just gonna say ''shit'' in the sky.

Mr Kipling
28-02-2013, 23:28
I used to be quite interested but lost interest in the late '90s. I remenber hearing Timothy Good on Nicky Cambell's radio show and what he had to say was quite riveting.

Never bothered looking anything up on the 'net until last October after watching War of the Worlds and found President Eisenhower's alleged meetings with aliens was covered by the national press in Feb. Apparently he was said to have had three meetings with them and a treaty was said to have been signed with the effect that we got access to their technology and in return the aliens could collect blood samples and perform certain experiments. Eisenhower was said to stipulate that no harm had to come to any humans.

That was then though (1954) and things have said to have changed somewhat. . .

synsei
01-03-2013, 05:19
The deeper one digs into the subject the weirder it gets Stephen. For example, various administrations from all over the world have been busy telling citizens for years that there is nothing in it. In which case, why have they spent so much time, effort and cash destroying evidence, burying reports and discrediting witnesses, some of whom have served the self same administrations? Something doesn't add up.

Talking of Timothy Good, I can highly recommend his book Beyond Top Secret, which is an updated version of his best seller, Above Top Secret. Good offers a particularly grounded viewpoint on the subject and the entire work is very well researched and contains much official documentation to back up his points. Another well crafted and thoughtful book is Leslie Kean's, UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record. Kean is a well respected investigative reporter who stumbled into the subject almost by accident after speaking to a friend. The more she looked into it the more intrigued she became. Her particular interest was for those sightings which had a connection with the authorities in some way, such as the military. She undertook ten years of painstaking research and this book is the culmination of it.

goraman
01-03-2013, 06:20
The deeper one digs into the subject the weirder it gets Stephen. For example, various administrations from all over the world have been busy telling citizens for years that there is nothing in it. In which case, why have they spent so much time, effort and cash destroying evidence, burying reports and discrediting witnesses, some of whom have served the self same administrations? Something doesn't add up.

Talking of Timothy Good, I can highly recommend his book Beyond Top Secret, which is an updated version of his best seller, Above Top Secret. Good offers a particularly grounded viewpoint on the subject and the entire work is very well researched and contains much official documentation to back up his points. Another well crafted and thoughtful book is Leslie Kean's, UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record. Kean is a well respected investigative reporter who stumbled into the subject almost by accident after speaking to a friend. The more she looked into it the more intrigued she became. Her particular interest was for those sightings which had a connection with the authorities in some way, such as the military. She undertook ten years of painstaking research and this book is the culmination of it.

It gets even darker, Keep digging and you will get to the truth.
So meany UFO researchers end up finding answers that scare the crap out of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paEfn_f1dI

And Yes, I have seen something I can't really explain.

Macca
01-03-2013, 08:31
I'd recommend talking to some pilots, both military and civilian. Their experiences are quite alarming but they very rarely go on the record with them.

synsei
01-03-2013, 08:36
That is what Leslie Kean did Martin and some were willing to go on the record, which is why she wrote her book ;)

Macca
01-03-2013, 08:41
That is what Leslie Kean did Martin and some were willing to go on the record, which is why she wrote her book ;)

You got a title or a link to that Dave? Anyway from chatting to such people personally I know they are in no doubt that there are very high technology 'craft' flying about in our airspace, they have all seen them on multiple occasions. However what they are or where they come from is not something they are prepared to speculate on.

synsei
01-03-2013, 08:46
There you go Martin: httphttp://www.amazon.co.uk/UFOs-Generals-Pilots-Government-Officials/dp/0307717089://

Macca
01-03-2013, 08:47
Cheers dude

synsei
01-03-2013, 08:54
Pilots in the US are actively discouraged from reporting anomalous aerial phenomena by their employers at risk of their careers incidentally. United Airlines made all their employees sign a confidentiality agreement after the O'Hare Airport incident in 2006 to stop them from talking to the press. The FAA also refused to investigate the case, which is unforgivable seeing as it is their duty to investigate any incident that poses a potential hazard to air traffic, and despite the fact that the object was seen hovering just a few hundred feet above an active runway for nearly three quarters of an hour by hundreds of witnesses ranging from pilots, ATC staff, ground crew and members of the public. It was left to NARCAP to carry out a thorough investigation, which they did by employing the FAA's reporting format. The final report makes for interesting reading although it is very technical. A full copy of the report is available to view or download here (http://www.narcap.org/reports/TR10_Case_18a.pdf) as a PDF file...