PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Mass, USA

kcblair
26-02-2013, 21:52
After storing away my TT when CD's came out, I decided to re-purpose some old equipment and blend it with digital. I now have begun the process of converting my LP's to digital. I started with my old Sanyo "P" mount TP-266 TT reconditioned with a new belt and a AT92E cartridge. Added a ART Phono preamp V.2 connected to my PC. Picked up a Pioneer PL-512 TT on Craigslist and re-conditioned it with a new belt, interconnect cables and a Grado Black1 cartridge. After digital conversion (24/48 wav. files) I play back my music through a Technics SA-GX130 receiver, that is connected to the PC via a Toslink Optical cable. This older receiver had to have a optical to RCA converter added to accommodate the Toslink cable. Sound is sent to my Cerwin Vega AT-40 speakers that I had to rebuild the foam surround on the woofers, that had been in storage for years. So, with little money, I now have a nice sound system. Originally, I started to convert my LP's to MP3, when I learned that I should be using 24 bit wav files, which really sound great. I use MP3 files for my iPod and tablet, only. I now good around to local used record stores and repurchase LP's that I gave away years ago. I'm mainly into 70-80's rock. AC/DC, Poison, Motley Crue, Bruce Springsteen, Rush, and the like. I now have learned what a "Sound Stage " is and my Grado cart really produces a nice SS. After playing a few Sound Stage reference albums , I'm really surprised how nice those speakers sound I bought back in the late 80's can sound.

The Grand Wazoo
26-02-2013, 23:44
Hi Ken,
Welcome to AoS and thanks for a great introduction.
Any plans to make system changes in the future?

kcblair
26-02-2013, 23:49
Not in the near future, as I am retired and still have kids living at home. I'm pretty happy with my PC generated music. I have a nice finished cellar, that is my listening room, which makes for great listening. And it doesn't bother the neighbors, as the sound pretty much stays inside. I recently built my latest PC, with music in mind and lots of storage 3TB. If anything, I might upgrade the TT and or cartridge.

The Grand Wazoo
26-02-2013, 23:52
Well, if you decide to take the plunge and make some changes, there's plenty of knowledge here to help. In the meantime the discussion in our music section is excellent for finding ways to lose your hard earned cash!

kcblair
26-02-2013, 23:55
Thanks Chris, I've already done a little sneaking around behind the wife to get a nice cartridge. That's why I joined the forum, lots of great ideas.

The Grand Wazoo
27-02-2013, 00:04
Excellent!