PDA

View Full Version : Greetings.

.mus
23-02-2013, 23:19
Hullo,

To proceed with the form...

My modest system is composed of a custom built PC, outputting via a SOtM USB card to an Audiophilleo2 (with AQVOX PSU) which runs into the back of an Audiolab M-DAC (with MCRU PSU). The DAC is connected to a Sherbourn PRE-1, which is connected to a Sherbourn PA 2-160. For speakers, I'm using a pair of Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6 LCRs (these are centre channel speakers, but – unusually for centres – they have a dedicated bass driver); the Tannoys sit on Atacama SL600 stands.

I also have a pair of Technics SL1210 MK5s – relics from my bedroom DJ days – one of which is here with me, and connected to the preamp. The 1210 is presently adorned with the Funk Firm mat, Isonoe Feet, and the Oyaide weight. The cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Blue.

I made the move to digital, and the file-based system, a few years ago. I'd relocated from London to Paris for work, and had to leave behind all of my records, as well as my “home-studio” mixing set-up, which had become my de-facto listening system. So, it was time to rebuild! And since I'd started amassing a digital library for my portable player, it made sense to join the 21st century, and to try to make the most of it. I'd thought that this would be reasonably straightforward, but it took at least a year of frustrated chopping, changing, and tweaking, before I arrived at a sound that I was happy with.

But things have now come full circle, since I've retrieved one of the 1210s :) Alas, the bulk of my record collection remains in the UK, but record shopping in Paris is proving quite pleasant.

Unfortunately, after a year or so of digital fiddling, I'm now struggling to shake the upgrade-bug, and my attention is beginning to turn towards the 1210, hence my discovery of this forum.

Music wise, I listen to various things. I have a huge affection for electronic music – from early experimental electro-acoustic music, to pummelling techno/dnb/gabba/etc., and most things in between; Jazz – hard-bop, cool, modal, fusion, and free –; classical music of various sorts (recently it's mostly been stuff from 20th century composers); ambient/drone/noise music, and field recordings. Plus the standard bits of 60s/70s rock – anything a bit psychedelic, or just unashamedly bonkers – and various bits of soul, funk, and hip hop. I'm always on the lookout for new music.

Name's Tom.

The Grand Wazoo
24-02-2013, 00:24
Hi Tom.
Thanks a lot for your excellent introduction and here's a warm welcome to AoS from me.

Cheers

.mus
24-02-2013, 11:06
Cheers Chris, pleasure to be here :)

John
24-02-2013, 15:13
Great intro Tom
Hope you enjoy your time here

archiesdad
24-02-2013, 15:18
Welcome, pull up a chair and get tor' in.

.mus
24-02-2013, 16:17
Thanks chaps! I'm looking forward to mining the community's collective expertise, and hopefully discovering some new music along the way :)