PDA

View Full Version : hi there

richard l martin
23-02-2013, 19:50
hi. im Richard and i just joined today. i like most music and listen to both cd and vinyl format. i have a Cambridge audio cd player dating from the early nineties a pioneer cd recorder from about two thousand. a rega planer 2/rb 250 and super bias cart plus a super oem which i do not want to get into arguments about. it sounds very nearly as good as the rega and is fitted with a at95 cart with a hyper elliptical stylus.. my amp is a technics sa 600 separate pre and power amp. i think that's right i am not at home right now so not absolutely shure of the model number. my speakers are mission 737s and prettey old but still sounding good.:) best regards all Richard

synsei
23-02-2013, 20:11
Hi Richard and welcome to the mad house. Put your feet up, grab a glass of whatever you fancy and enjoy the show ;)

The Grand Wazoo
24-02-2013, 00:04
Hi Richard,
Welcome to AoS.
Don't worry about arguments - they're pretty rare here.
So what sort of music do you like to indulge yourself with?

Cheers

richard l martin
24-02-2013, 16:18
hi chris, hope you are well. i mainly like 80`s but also keen on 50`s and 60`s rock and roll etc. some classical and a bit of 70`s. i like most of the 80`s bands,new wave, indie. i guess i like most all music! been having an ongoing problem with my turntables were i am getting slight sibilant distortion but only on the last tracks and only on records that have 8 or more tracks per side. the carts in both my tables are set spot on with an ortofon 2 point protractor and tracking force and bias are correctly set. do you have any thoughts on this chris, or is there maybe someone who does? the distortion is very slight. i am wondering if maybe 8 or more tracks per side is just too many. the offending records are all compilation albums. kind regards Richard.

richard l martin
24-02-2013, 16:23
Hi Richard and welcome to the mad house. Put your feet up, grab a glass of whatever you fancy and enjoy the show ;)

hi there, thanks for the welcome. large scotch i think!

Barry
25-02-2013, 00:29
Welcome to AoS Martin.

Arguments are rare here: we have 'discussions' instead, and they never become rancorous or ill-natured.

Regarding the 'end of side distortion' (as from your description, that is what it might be), are you sure you have the bias set up correctly? Does the sibilance occur on one channel only, and if so which channel? Are the compilation records new or s/h?

Large scotch? Single malt or blend?

Enough of these questions,

Enjoy the forum

richard l martin
25-02-2013, 16:25
hi there. a large single malt if finances permit! yes i should think it is igd. the distortion is the same from both channels. i have the bias set at the same value as the tracking force. some of these albums were bought second hand and others date back to my childhood. im thinking that as this distortion is so slight and only on records with a lot of music per side that maybe i am expecting unreasonable performance from relatively inexpensive turntables, arms etc although i may do some more fiddling.:lol: thanks for your reply and helpful comments. kind regards Richard.