PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the neighbours Lenco GL75

Tarzan
20-02-2013, 18:24
My neighbour has the Lenco bug! She wants to clean her new toy up, so, here goes;

1. The lid, it has some scratches on it- what is the best way to remove these?

2. The timber plinth has a bit of fade, but is in generally good nick,best way to nourish wood, WD40, Danish Oil etc?

3. Most importantly, the platter, which is faded, dirty etc, and how do you remove it?

Thanks for any help chaps,she really likes the Lenco, to the point that she went out today and brought a Cambridge Audio CA551P phono stage, l told her it is a long slippery path now!:)

Mr Kipling
20-02-2013, 18:52
I like Duraglit and use it for allsorts. Use it on the lid and remove the residue with toilet paper and then buff it up with a clean soft cloth. You can use it on the platter too. Have your Weetabix beforehand. Don't know how to remove it.

Wouldn't like to say what would be best for plinth.

Ta-Raaaa!

keiths
20-02-2013, 18:55
The platter just lifts off the spindle. If it proves stubbon, a sharp rap on the spindle with a screwdriver handle or similar whilst pulling the platter up might help.

Roy S
20-02-2013, 18:58
More detail on platter removal (must get around to sorting mine out)

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=72.0

Tarzan
21-02-2013, 14:06
I like Duraglit and use it for allsorts. Use it on the lid and remove the residue with toilet paper and then buff it up with a clean soft cloth. You can use it on the platter too. Have your Weetabix beforehand. Don't know how to remove it.

Wouldn't like to say what would be best for plinth.

Ta-Raaaa!

Thanks for the replies chaps, l have a truckload of Flitz (metal polish and fiberglass cleaner) would this be as good to use as Duraglit?

Tarzan
21-02-2013, 14:07
Thanks for the replies chaps, l have a truckload of Flitz (metal polish and fiberglass cleaner) would this be as good to use as Duraglit?

Forgot tomention that Flitz is a well regarded abrasive cleaner.:)

myles
21-02-2013, 14:14
Greygate Plastic Polish has been brilliant on my headlights, they use it on pilots scratched visors so cant be all bad.

The Grand Wazoo
21-02-2013, 17:30
Have you taken a look at 'The Knowledge' yet? There's something there (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7659) that might help with a few hints & tips.
Watch out if you're using abrasive stuff on the top plate - you don't want to remove any of the lettering.

Rare Bird
21-02-2013, 18:29
The platter just lifts off the spindle. If it proves stubbon, a sharp rap on the spindle with a screwdriver handle or similar whilst pulling the platter up might help.
Or the easiest way if it won't sift, but be carefull, remove the small screw from the side of the bearing housing, the spindle will then lift out with the platter, easier to tap the spindle from the platter offboard that way.

Tarzan
21-02-2013, 19:36
Or the easiest way if it won't sift, but be carefull, remove the small screw from the side of the bearing housing, the spindle will then lift out with the platter, easier to tap the spindle from the platter offboard that way.

Platter came off ok, cleaned everything up, looks a bit better!Only problem now is fitting the hinges back on the lid:scratch:

Rare Bird
21-02-2013, 20:00
:worthless:

I get orf on GL75' pickkies :eyebrows:

Thing Fish
21-02-2013, 20:05
Yea pic's are good also what does it sound like...:hairmetal:

Rare Bird
21-02-2013, 20:10
It don't matter about the sound Dave :lol:

Tarzan
21-02-2013, 22:12
Would love to post some piccies, but am computer stupid(going to be very busy from tommorrow) so will not be able to learn this any time soon:(

Any way, l rubbed in some WD40 on the woodwork, which brought a darker more nourished look to the wood,and also WD40 lighty applied to the metalwork, the grey plate come up really well, the deck was just plain dirty, gave the lid a good ole dose of elbow grease, the only part that did not come up as good as l would have liked was the platter, which still had 'stains' on it though it was definately more cleaner. Neighbour happy, but the platter l will take to engineering at work see if they can do anything to it, all in all enjoyed this little job as my neighbour does a bit for us, so all in all a good afternoon:)

DSJR
22-02-2013, 11:14
Have you checked the arm's "V" blocks? I don't know if you can still get original soft rubbery replacements, but the dezmo ones (I have a set ready and waiting) look good and should see all of us out I reckon :)

The exit leads from deck to amp really should be replaced too IMO.. Even these little things can lift the performance of the stock arm to much higher levels IMO.