PDA

View Full Version : Brighter speaker cable? Terminations?

Bonky
18-02-2013, 15:25
My Living Audio speakers are bi-wired to my Sugden A21a amp via Chord Carnival cables.
I find the sound smooth but, compared with other systems I've heard, it seems to be lacking a bit of top-end 'sparkle'.
Thus I'm considering changing the cables, perhaps keeping the present ones for the Bass/Woofer connection but changing to another cable for the Tweeter link.

I would welcome any comments/recommendations.
I've been looking here at comments on the Van Damme Blue, Belkin Pure AV, TQ Blue and Black Rhodium Twist.

My second question is on the plugs/terminations. Do I need them? Both speakers and amp have screw-down connectors that allow either bare wire or banana-type connectors. If I linked the amp and speakers just by bare wire it would be a lot cheaper and there would also be one less potential source of resistance.
Thanks in advance,

Richard/Bonky.

Yomanze
18-02-2013, 16:22
I would definitely try some NVA LS1 or LS3 cable, which is on 30 days no-quibble returns. They use pure copper bananas too, so don't need to worry about bare wire, and it's impossible with these anyway due to multi-conductor construction.

TQ Blue would probably do the opposite to 'sparkle' and heavily PVC-insulated stuff like Van Damme blue doesn't sound as open as the NVA cable, which definitely does sparkle.

icehockeyboy
18-02-2013, 16:45
TQ Blue would probably do the opposite to 'sparkle' and heavily PVC-insulated stuff like Van Damme blue doesn't sound as open as the NVA cable, which definitely does sparkle.

Are you kidding?
TQ Blue sparkle like a sparkly thing from the planet Sparkle! :ner:

Just ask Effem! :)

realysm42
18-02-2013, 17:16
My TQ ultra black doesn't add sparkle, it's very detailed though, which can bring that shine out from under the grime.

wee tee cee
18-02-2013, 17:27
The black rhodium twist has a slightly pronounced treble and would probably fit the bill. Likewise the van damme and belkins both slightly pronounce the frequency extremes.The TQ BLUE is pretty neutral. Dave at MRCU has got some silver plated z plugs might make a good combo.....
I have all the cables mentioned but bear in mind its what they sound like with my kit/ears/room.

Yomanze
19-02-2013, 15:13
Looking through the cables on this thread could order them all in & try... return the ones that don't have the desired effect.

Dingdong
19-02-2013, 16:29
It's fine not to have connectors. Just make sure the bare ends aren't oxidised before you connect them.

Cables that are brighter? Yer 'avin a larf. Demo other bits of kit, but not cables.

wee tee cee
19-02-2013, 18:12
depending on the lengths required most will leave change from £20....reasonably cheap to tune your system to your preference....good fun experimenting.Sell them on at minimal cost and let another member have some fun experimenting with wires.( or keep all the ones you buy and have drawer full to lend out/play with when pished)

Bonky
19-02-2013, 19:01
Thanks everyone; interesting replies.

I can no longer find the link to the Belkin cables. I've Googled and Binged but am at a loss. Can anyone help?

If I used bare wires rather than terminations would anyone suggest soldering the ends first (silver solder)?

Best wishes,

Richard

Dingdong
19-02-2013, 19:20
Thanks everyone; interesting replies.

I can no longer find the link to the Belkin cables. I've Googled and Binged but am at a loss. Can anyone help?

If I used bare wires rather than terminations would anyone suggest soldering the ends first (silver solder)?

Best wishes,

Richard

Either clean the ends with contact cleaner or strip a fresh bit.

Tbh I would suggest you demo another amp to go with your LV's. The few pairs I have heard have sounded superb. Especially the pair on the end of a few hundred grands worth of Kondo. Funny that.

Bonky
19-02-2013, 19:33
Either clean the ends with contact cleaner or strip a fresh bit.

Tbh I would suggest you demo another amp to go with your LV's. The few pairs I have heard have sounded superb. Especially the pair on the end of a few hundred grands worth of Kondo. Funny that.

Mmm...
M. Mr Scott (of LV fame) actually recommends my amp with the LVs. In fact he says he prefers it to the modern incarnation (A21SE).

I may instead have the amp serviced by Sugdens.

Thanks; I'll certainly use the IPA.

One thing I did notice when looking at the Chord cables I have at present is that I have them 'the wrong way round'(!) according to the Chord website. Now I've always treated such claims with heavy scepticism (electrons only being capable of travelling in one direction of course...).

...But it wouldn't harm me to try would it...?

BW

Richard

Dingdong
19-02-2013, 19:39
While you are at it give all your connectors a clean. You may be surprised.

Yomanze
19-02-2013, 19:53
While you are at it give all your connectors a clean. You may be surprised.

Yes there's a reason Naim say not to use Deoxit or anything, and instead to plug and unplug everything 10x or so... :)

I do very firmly believe that a lot of cable myth stems from the action of unplugging and plugging a new item in, but still they make a difference to my ears.

Dingdong
19-02-2013, 20:25
Never heard the plugging/unplugging thing before. Wonder what they claim it does that cleaning doesn't do?

Yomanze
19-02-2013, 21:10
Never heard the plugging/unplugging thing before. Wonder what they claim it does that cleaning doesn't do?

It will have a cleaning effect on the contacts, and when I think about Naim's stance I don't see either how something in transparent liquid form like Deoxit can be more conductive than a clean metal-to-metal connection.

Dingdong
19-02-2013, 21:18
I'll stick with my cleaning fluid.

Is there an optimum number of times that you have to unplug and plug them back in?:eyebrows:

Yomanze
19-02-2013, 21:28
I'll stick with my cleaning fluid.

Is there an optimum number of times that you have to unplug and plug them back in?:eyebrows:

Using cleaning fluid is a good call, but Deoxit & commonly used 'contact enhancers' do coat the metal. It must make sense that plugging things in and out over and over again is going to scrape the oxides off the contact area right?!

Dingdong
19-02-2013, 22:31
I don't use contact enhancers. I just clean them.

Bonky
20-02-2013, 22:48
Ok chaps,
I've tried for the Belkins - but it seems as if they are as rare as hens' teeth.
I've tried to order the Van Dammes from MG - but no reply yet.

Suppliers of the other recommended ones seem to be on holiday.

Ho Hum...

Richard.

julesd68
20-02-2013, 23:12
Bonky old chap, with what sources is your system showing a lack of top end sparkle?

I'm really not sure about the idea of using cable to "tune" a system but that may just be me ...

apollo
21-02-2013, 04:58
IMHO, once one settles down with a set of the critical components, ie source-pre-amp-speakers, cables are the perfect way to tune the sound, along with mains, isolators etc etc.. ending when there is no more improvement / nothing is missed in the music.

Since you are looking for a bit of sparkle, have you considered Nordost? I personally have settled with vdh d102 m3, as they give me the right top end without sounding too forward.

Edit : apologies, saw that the Op is looking for speaker cable. So vdh is not applicable.

Bonky
21-02-2013, 07:37
Bonky old chap, with what sources is your system showing a lack of top end sparkle?

I'm really not sure about the idea of using cable to "tune" a system but that may just be me ...

Hi Jules,
I would say with all of them...!

(This is why I was wondering about the amp needing a service).
I agree that fine tuning a system with a change of cables hints of desperation.

..But I'm willing to try...

BW

Rich/Bonky

Dingdong
21-02-2013, 13:03
Desperation. There is a good word.

Have a listen to a different amp. Maybe even look at room treatment.

Daniel75
21-02-2013, 14:52
Desperation. There is a good word.

Have a listen to a different amp. Maybe even look at room treatment.

I would replace "maybe even" with "definitely" :)

Increasing amount of "toe in" should affect higher frequencies? It usually adds "brightness" to the sound. Not sure if brighter is same as sparkly though :)

D

wee tee cee
21-02-2013, 16:52
Ok chaps,
I've tried for the Belkins - but it seems as if they are as rare as hens' teeth.

Ho Hum...

Richard.
What length do you need....mine are sitting in a drawer,your welcome to try the lot( bar the tq blue its plumbed into my sons system). Do a wee mini review on your findings for other members. I see you have the mini t in your stable...no need to spend fortunes on kit when a cheap cable change could be the panacea to let you enjoy your music more. I know we shouldn't use cables as tone controls but some times what we have in play isn't as neutral as we thought.
PM me if you fancy.

Mark Grant
21-02-2013, 18:27

Ho Hum...

Richard.

I am off for a weeks holiday but all orders are despatched and I cant find any email enquiries about van damme that are not completed, so maybe that enquiry never arrived which is a shame.

Maybe borrow Tony's cables if they are long enough and I would suggest to clean all the contacts in your system with IPA or Caig Deoxit and see what effect it has.

julesd68
21-02-2013, 18:33
Hi Jules,
I would say with all of them...!

(This is why I was wondering about the amp needing a service).
I agree that fine tuning a system with a change of cables hints of desperation.

I think your issue is with the amp - I doubt the Linn is backwards at coming forwards and you have a fairly incisive cart!

Do you remember the Sugden sounding better? If so, get it serviced. If not, I would consider moving it on for something with more "sparkle".

Bonky
21-02-2013, 20:54
What length do you need....mine are sitting in a drawer,your welcome to try the lot( bar the tq blue its plumbed into my sons system). Do a wee mini review on your findings for other members. I see you have the mini t in your stable...no need to spend fortunes on kit when a cheap cable change could be the panacea to let you enjoy your music more. I know we shouldn't use cables as tone controls but some times what we have in play isn't as neutral as we thought.
PM me if you fancy.

Thanks!
PM sent.

Bonky.