PDA

View Full Version : Saying hi-

Dual
13-02-2013, 13:28
Just found and joined the Art of Sound and am enjoying a fascinating read here. I'm from Maine, USA- retired audio engineer.
My system as of now:

* Threshold S350/e amp
* Yamaha NS1000M speakers
* NAD 6155 cassette
* Grace Digital Tuner
* Cambridge Azur 840C
* Heed Quasar phono preamp
* Heed Canamp
* Alesis Masterlink
* Threshold FET 10/e preamp
* Rega Planar 3 with Groovetracer mods, RB303 arm, 24v TTPSU, Shelter 501-II with Soundsmith Level II
* Velodyne ULD-15 Series II subwoofer
* PURE i-20 iPod dock w/digital out
* Panasonic DMP-BDT220P Blu-ray
* Stewart Pro Reference 500 amp for other speakers in house

The system is built into a room which was previously a garage. It has a poured slab floor at ground level, with the room's floor about 18" over that. When we moved here in 1985 I reinforced the wooden floor a bit and had the contractor build the wall system you see in the photo. The plinth for the turntable is a cinderblock column which starts on the poured concrete floor and rises through the wall unit, not touching it. There's no mechanical connection between the turntable and the rest of the room. The equipment rack uses a UniStrut sliding-nut and rail system, with shelf standards as well, to flexibly support both rackmount and non-rack gear. Note also that the speakers are soffited into their own enclosures in the wall unit.

http://www.etnier.com/personal/stereo-DSC_3982.jpg

Firebottle
13-02-2013, 13:44
That's mightily impressive John, welcome to AoS.

A recent joiner myself, you should find plenty to interest you on here.

:cool: Alan

julesd68
13-02-2013, 13:52
Awesome stuff John - I dream of having somewhere like that for my vinyl.

Welcome aboard. :)

John
13-02-2013, 15:36
Nice system John and great to see the record collection
What kind of music do you enjoy spinning on the Turntable

Dual
13-02-2013, 16:28
Thanks for the welcome, folks. My collection is what's left of what I had before moving to this house: lots were replaced with CD's or just removed to make room in the new space.

Lot's of 70's-80's punk, new wave and art-related work, classic rock from before, all kinds of jazz with a bit of a focus on 70's avant garde, classical staples plus 60's-70's avantgardists.

Daniel75
13-02-2013, 22:16
Hello:) Great looking system and lovely room. Not to mention "Exposure". Im addicted to this album:)

Dual
13-02-2013, 23:47
Me too.

Andrei
21-02-2013, 01:37
The plinth for the turntable is a cinderblock column which starts on the poured concrete floor and rises through the wall unit, not touching it.

Oh my giddy aunt! Does this man know the right direction or what!!