PDA

View Full Version : OPAMPS... im get way ahead of my self now...

The Vinyl Adventure
25-03-2009, 19:30
my upstairs hifi has in the last few days turned into tweeky crazyness

i have a beresford tc-7520 on its way and after reading that these LM4562 thingys are in many peoples words a 'no brainer' i now have a pair of them wraped in a little bit of plastic.
im not going to put them in straight away i want to get to know the dac before i decide to upgrade it.

and this is why im getting ahead of my self, i recently bought a firestone tubehead pre-amp. i got it cheepy cheepy whilst looking for something to esentially just add an input to my tripath.

when i first got it i plugged it in and didnt like, it left it to burn in for a bit with no real joy. i decided to sell it but in the mean while i plugged it into another system just for the hell of it really. it sounded ok but was no major improvement. but, it obviously gave it more of a run in as when i just plugged it back into the tripath today it sounded a lot better than before and def seemed to add something.

the bass is still the major week point of the system though. there is just not a lot of it and its rather ill defined

i have read that these firestone things are a tweakers paradise and after opening the top on it today a can see there are 2 pairs of switches. 1 that change gain and one that change how the volume control works. fun fun fun fun ... no change to bass on the different settings though

first question: are these switches in pairs because there are 2 channels

second question: the other thing i notice are a pair of opamps (i think) one has

jrc5021g

printed on it, the other has nothing on it.

can i upgrade these to something that might improve the bass

i guess i wont do anything until the beresford has burned in and i can hear what benefits that brings. but like i said im getting ahead of my self.

i think i have just opened a can of hifi tweeking that my non techy mind can fathom and i want to know more more more

The Vinyl Adventure
25-03-2009, 19:55
actually the one i though had nothing on it reads

opa2604ap
74w64db

any thoughts anyone?

The Vinyl Adventure
25-03-2009, 20:09
hmm i think i have this in he wrong place im going to ou it into drawing board forum

Mike
25-03-2009, 20:58
Gimme a min and I'll move it for you. :)

Mike
25-03-2009, 20:59
Done... ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
25-03-2009, 21:14
cheers

tizer2000uk
03-04-2009, 22:27
my upstairs hifi has in the last few days turned into tweeky crazyness

i have a beresford tc-7520 on its way and after reading that these LM4562 thingys are in many peoples words a 'no brainer' i now have a pair of them wraped in a little bit of plastic.
im not going to put them in straight away i want to get to know the dac before i decide to upgrade it.

I would stick the LM4562's in place and skip the NE5532's, they sound great and are quite capable but are not a patch on either the LM4562's or the utterly fantastic THS4032's which is where you will probably end up.

apmusson
05-04-2009, 08:01
I would stick the LM4562's in place and skip the NE5532's, they sound great and are quite capable but are not a patch on either the LM4562's or the utterly fantastic THS4032's which is where you will probably end up.

I agree with Tizer. The 4562s are a big step up from the stock amps - its a no brainer decision. And the THS4032s are awesome......