PDA

View Full Version : Recessed Halogen bulbs - help !

MikeMusic
10-02-2013, 14:49
I've learned a bit looking around but not enough to be sure

We have recessed, Halogen bulbs fitted in 2 bathrooms
Need to replace two which are
12v 50w, 35' EXN+C

1. I assume LEDs will do the job at far lest cost and last longer - am I right ?

The 2nd bathroom has
BL PRD ALU 35w 12v 36D Philips JB

2. Can I fit either in both fittings safely bearing in mind they are recessed ?

Firebottle
10-02-2013, 19:34
Hi Mike,
You will have to be mindful to the supply transformer if you fit LED in place of tungsten.

If the transformer is an electronic transformer then they need a minimum load to operate correctly, which the LED lamps are certain to be below.
For example a 60W rated electronic transformer may have a 20W minimum in order to work correctly.

If the transformer is the older wound transformer, probably toroidal, then you will be OK to change to LED lamps.

:cool: Alan

MikeMusic
10-02-2013, 19:48
Hi Mike,
You will have to be mindful to the supply transformer if you fit LED in place of tungsten.

If the transformer is an electronic transformer then they need a minimum load to operate correctly, which the LED lamps are certain to be below.
For example a 60W rated electronic transformer may have a 20W minimum in order to work correctly.

If the transformer is the older wound transformer, probably toroidal, then you will be OK to change to LED lamps.

:cool: Alan
Thanks (curses)
This was installed in 2009 so I assume modern. 3 lights in one bathroom 5 in the other. Both like turning the sun on in the room for me - no lover of bright downlighters.
I assume halogen is tungsten ?