PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Man Cave

greenhomeelectronics
07-02-2013, 17:43
Hi folks, just about started work on my all new man cave so thought I would do a blog type thingy here in case anybody is interested. I have a "cheap as chips" system in my lounge but intend to have another system in my man cave as time and finances allow. As some of you will know we recently moved to a 100 year old farm house complete with a range of outbuildings. One outbuilding is our store room, one is a workshop and one will be my man cave. I have cleared it out and started to clean it up - first time since it was built I reckon. The roof needs repair before anything permanent goes in there, I also need to sort the drainage and a few other issues before getting too serious. Been working out what needs to go in there - all the essentials will be there eg big screen tv, comfy sofa, jukebox, pinball machine, fruit machine, drum set, train set, big effing speakers (thinking voight pipes) decent hifi, my collection of novelty radios (about 60 so far) and some other frippery that I am not allowed in the house :-)
The room is about 10 ft by 14ft6, it is very high so will be putting in a mezzanine floor for the train set to sit on. I will be using recycled materials wherever possible and avoiding buying new wherever I can. Most of the stuff listed above is already "on hand", I have been collecting it for some time but never had anywhere to put it where it can be used and appreciated before.
Here are a couple of photos showing the empty room and the state of the roof. Not a good place to be if spiders are not your thing :-)
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/Mancave/P1010857_zpsafaf565b.jpg
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/Mancave/P1010854_zps9f86d1e1.jpg
More to follow as it happens.
Dave

brian2957
07-02-2013, 17:54
Loads of possibilities Dave . Good luck with the project . Really enjoy this kind of thread , I'll be keeping my eye on this one .:)

keiths
07-02-2013, 18:18
Good luck with this - looking forward to watching your progress :clap:

Thing Fish
07-02-2013, 19:09
:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:

Tarzan
07-02-2013, 19:11
:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:man cave build thread:yay:

:popcorn:

RichB
07-02-2013, 19:55
-5i1cJIwE7M

Marco
08-02-2013, 09:29
Nice one, Dave. Look forward to following your progress! :)

Marco.

johnB
08-02-2013, 10:21
Which Jukebox Dave?

Jonboy
08-02-2013, 15:29
Which Jukebox Dave?

hope its valve

greenhomeelectronics
08-02-2013, 16:53
Hi folks, glad to see there is some interest in my little project. Not thought about which jukebox yet, I will see what comes up. I had a rather nice Jupiter valve unit in the summer but sold it rather than moving it. I am comfortable working on any box and don't have any particular favourite manufacturer. In the past I have had a German Wurlitzer, a couple of Jupiters, 3 Rowe Ami's and a Seeburg. I would like a valve one if one comes along, ideally a Wurlitzer Lyric from the 60's but I doubt one will come up in my price range so it may have to be tranny. I already have the pinball it's a Zaccaria Supersonic that I got from a mate that had it stashed in a shed for about 10 years. It was a right state but is now working and just needs a few very minor bits finishing. The first item to go in it is a leather reclining sofa that we just took out of the lounge. It was a 3 seater so I took it apart, cut down the frame, rejoined it with some fabricated brackets and it is now a twin recliner 2 seater:) Jobs a good un. I finished cleaning the building out a bit and have dug a French ditch around it to help keep the damp out. Next job will be to build the mezzanine floor followed by the roof work. I also need to build a new window and frame and soak everything with anti woodworm treatment. I don't want anything getting eaten. Still working on what needs to go in there, I need to find space for a radio controlled model spitfire I built some years back. It's about 5 ft wingspan and needs to have a prominent position. It should be flown really, I flew it once and was too scared to fly it again cos it took so long to build and was very difficult to land.
I am also on the look out for a pair of Bose 802 or 901's that need refoaming. I have fancied a pair since I was about 16 and had to install a pair in the RAE Farnborough assembly hall.
Anyways, will update the progress when something a bit more interesting than a drainage ditch has been achieved.
Dave.

Marco
08-02-2013, 16:58
Hi Dave,

Nice one on the jukebox - sounds cool! Btw, Anthony TD's your man for the valve ones, as he owns one (repairs and services them, too) and probably has quite a few contacts should you wish to obtain a valve-powered jukey :)

Btw, don't forget to pop into 'The Boardroom' and say hello, re: the AoS show. You should now have the required permissions... ;)

Marco.

Jonboy
08-02-2013, 17:38
Looks like the roof tiles need to come off to get some tyvex (http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/tyvek-supro-1m-x-50m.html) under there followed by lots of celotex type insulation also recommend Velux windows if you can get away with them dead easy to fit i have fitted them to my house and man cave/garage, they really do let the natural light flood in, you can put all the insulation on the outside if you want to go for that exposed beam and rafter look.

Just been doing some ground works to 17th century coach house which has required a lot of built up soil and rubble being removed from around the outside to let the old building dry out and breathe again, lots of work ahead for you good luck and look forward to your installments

greenhomeelectronics
08-02-2013, 19:51
Hi Marco, can get in to the board room but am having problems replying to messages - I keep getting diverted to the log in page even though my status is showing as logged in. Can you PM me your contact number? Have been having some general thoughts.
Jonboy - old houses are both a blessing and a curse. I have just opened out a fire place that had been blocked up with literally tons of bric and concrete. It took me days of brutality to get it all out. We have had to replace 53 meters of external water pipe and still have no downstairs loo as we could not find where the water feed tees off. We had to install a complete new heating system, the only bit of original pipework is about 3 meters of 1/2 inch rising main. Some git had built the kitchen around it and I could not be arsed to remove half the kitchen to get at it. Still would not move back to Bracknell though, not for all the tea in China

Marco
08-02-2013, 20:00
Hi Marco, can get in to the board room but am having problems replying to messages - I keep getting diverted to the log in page even though my status is showing as logged in. Can you PM me your contact number? Have been having some general thoughts.

PM on its way, dude! As for the other thing, make sure that you're ticking the 'Remember Me' box when you log-in :)

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
17-02-2013, 17:18
Got some work done on the cave today. Have started to build the mezzanine floor. Got all me 8x2's in place, not putting the actual floor on until the roof iis water tight. Someone is going to do that bit for me as I am not good with heights.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/P1010872_zps84627f24.jpg
In the mean time here is a photo of a cat. The last people that lived here abandoned the poor little bugger. They left 2 tins of food and a can opener - quite how he was supposed to use a can opener without any thumbs is anybody's guess. We were goint to give him away but hav got quite attached to him.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/P1010870_zps4a067cd2.jpg
Dave.

Audio Al
17-02-2013, 18:09
Dave

Remember its the cats house , you are the new tenants ;)

Looking forward to the man cave build :)

brian2957
17-02-2013, 19:06
Good start Dave . Keep us up to date mate.:)

RichB
17-02-2013, 19:43
Got some work done on the cave today. Have started to build the mezzanine floor. Got all me 8x2's in place, not putting the actual floor on until the roof iis water tight. Someone is going to do that bit for me as I am not good with heights.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/P1010872_zps84627f24.jpg
In the mean time here is a photo of a cat. The last people that lived here abandoned the poor little bugger. They left 2 tins of food and a can opener - quite how he was supposed to use a can opener without any thumbs is anybody's guess. We were goint to give him away but hav got quite attached to him.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/P1010870_zps4a067cd2.jpg
Dave.

I don't know how anybody could abandon a pet just like that...I imagine he'll be looking forward to warming your lap as you tinker away in the man cave. Good on you.

The Grand Wazoo
17-02-2013, 19:47
Bastards!
You should contact the previous owners of the place & ask them if they lost a cat because you found a dead one in the house.

greenhomeelectronics
18-02-2013, 09:22
When we got here the poor bloody cat obviously hadn't eaten for a good while. He was scared shitless of us to start with but has gradually come to graciously accept us. The thing is that cats were once worshipped as Gods and they have never forgotten that. We feel truly honoured that he allows us to live here :)
I didn't want a cat but won't see any harm come to him.
He loves my Mrs now and won't leave her side when she is out in the garden. He can't come in the house though as we have budgies, or as he calls them " a light snack".
He will be allowed in the cave but it will most likely be a bit noisy in there for his tastes. He runs a mile whenever I go near my drum kit as it is. Or maybe that's just cos I'm not very good........
Will keep you up to date as stuff happens.
Dave.

Marco
18-02-2013, 09:50
Hi Dave,

Can you give me a call later when you're free? Cheers, dude :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
18-02-2013, 09:56
No you can't have his cat before you ask :lol:

Marco
18-02-2013, 11:58
Lol.... I'd rather string up the fuckers who left it there! ;)

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
18-02-2013, 12:36
Will do Marco.

Marco
18-02-2013, 12:54
Nice one, dude. Anytime other than between 4-6pm would be cool :cool:

Marco.

goraman
18-02-2013, 20:36
I'm sorry if this upsets anyone but leaving 2 tins of food and a can opener and hoping the cat figures something out is funny as **** (UNLESS YOUR THE CAT).

Marco
18-02-2013, 21:35
Lol... Well the very fact that it was TINS of cat food that were left, shows that the previous owners had no class, as well as no conscience.

I don't know about in the US, but here in the UK, the best cat food comes in sachets (not tins), and our cats have been known to chew through them and suck out the contents (whenever we've been out for the day and they've decided that the food we've left out wasn't enough), so they would laugh in the face of can openers...! ;)

Marco.

Thing Fish
18-02-2013, 21:50
You can now get multi sectioned bowls that release food over a period of time. Never seen one though...?

goraman
18-02-2013, 22:33
The best catfood here comes from the seafood counter!
2ND best from bags as well.
I wonder if a cat pelt placed behind the driver would be good speaker dampening ?
Catz must have some use Marco?:cool:

Each to his own...

Marco
18-02-2013, 22:46
The best catfood here comes from the seafood counter!

Ha - very true! Just steer clear of the shite in tins. It's got horse meat in it :eyebrows:

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
13-03-2013, 09:22
Leaving cats aside for a minute - I have been busy in the cave. I finished the floor some time ago but have had a big influx of hifi to deal with so had to spend some time attempting to work for a living. Also had to move some of my cave bits out of the workshop so I had space for incoming goods. Only space I had conveniently available was in the cave so I am now having to work round stuff in there. Got the stairs done, still need to make some sort of banister arrangement. Not a carpenter so finding it fairly difficult but it is getting there. All the machines in there so far have been fixed or restored by me, still lots more to do.
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o657/thorcusmodee/Mancave1_zpsf82fac6a.jpg
Got to deal with the lighting and plasterboarding the underside of the mezzanine but still need to do some roof work before I go any further. Might wait for it to warm up a bit first.

Thing Fish
13-03-2013, 09:34
Looking good Dave. You could bolt some heavy duty metal rings into the brick work and thread some nice heavy duty rope to use as a bannister? Probably not as safe though, Just thought I'd throw an idea into the hat...:)

greenhomeelectronics
13-03-2013, 12:51
funny you should say that, Mrs had a very similar idea. Not sure yet but it's a fine idea worthy of consideration. Certainly easier than the wooden rail idea, although I do like a challenge. Will see what materials offer themselves up and go from there. Still trying to use as much recycled and reused stuff as possible.
Best and all that,
Dave.