PDA

View Full Version : Audio Fidelity - Broken English.

Audioman
07-02-2013, 10:52
A comparison of the Marianne Faithfull classic now in new 180g vinyl pressing with earlier pressings.

I did a comparison with an early pressing - M1 cat no and A1/B1 stampers ('Jonz' in side 1) and the 150g early 90's Grapevine/Island limited edition. Pleased to say the new version trumps them all. Wider/deeper soundstage and deeper bass. Original came 3rd but not by a wide margin - thinner and more brittle sounding - maybe the very thin vinyl on my copy has some influence here. It's still a good sounding disc.

The new pressing is not the cleanest disk I've seen from RTI appearance wise and has the odd minor unwanted sound. Needed a couple runs through the RCM and there are a few low level repetitive clicks that haven't gone entirely. Funny enough I have found the AF discs to not be as good as other RTI product. I know many had issues with the Kate Bush releases and mine aren't absolutely perfect.

Needless to say all 3 copies were cleaned the same with one application of L'Art du Son followed by Okki Nokki cleaner. The new version is cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent. I find most of his remasters equal or beat the original pressings.

Paul.

jostber
07-02-2013, 20:53
Thanks for the information, would like to check out this.