PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - RELOADED!

Album Club
06-02-2013, 21:29
Album Club - RELOADED!

Hi everyone, as the third round of Album Club nears its end, we have decided to have a bit of a revamp - mainly due to the amount of "No-Shows" we've seen, but also to try and monitor the quality of the posts and make sure that the format stays easy to follow and read.

In case you are unfamiliar with Album Club, here's how it works. You have the choice of nominating either a "classic" album, or something new that you think everyone else should hear. There are no rules - Classical music as well as Classics or something completely wacky are all accepted! Just make it interesting, and keep it fun. We will add a poll, and the rest of the members then play the album during the week, and critique and score it out of 10. All a bit of fun, and helps to broaden our collective musical horizons as we end up listening to a variety of music we may not normally try.

With immediate effect, all Album Club selections will need to be submitted in advance. First, you need to PM Album Club (http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=8514) with your choice of album (so that we can make sure we don't have any duplicates) - and the closing date for this will be this Sunday evening (10th February) at 7pm. We will advise anyone if they have duplicated a previous choice to send another.

PLEASE NOTE - you will NOT automatically be included in the next Album Club round without having PM'd us your album choice - even if you are already on the old rota.

Thereafter, all Album Club first posts (as per example below) will need to be submitted in advance - again, this can be done by PM to Album Club (http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=8514) - this is to ensure that if for any reason you are unavailable on your day, your Album Club choice can still be posted up and the running order maintained. It also gives us the opportunity to "tidy up" any links or pictures before they go live, and to help you if you need it with pictures and hyperlinks.

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR FULL ALBUM CLUB POST BY PM TO "ALBUM CLUB (http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=8514)" NOT LATER THAN MONDAY 18th FEBRUARY (Don't worry - only Album Club will know your choice until it is posted up on your allotted week, there won't be a published list of albums in advance so it will still be a surprise for everyone.) For the sake of clarity - even if you're choice may not be up for several weeks we need ALL posts up front please.

By way of a reminder, here is the recommended format of an Album Club post: (Don't forget that you need to include a link to either Spotify or Grooveshark or similar free streaming service - You Tube links at a pinch - and if possible, please keep the cover art image to 300 x 300 pixels.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Album Club: 01.01.2013: The Wombles - Remember You're a Womble (1974)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fqEF%2BgtTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://open.spotify.com/track/6XFVwS5IJlFdmGeterE8os

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_You%27re_A_Womble

Second album from the genius that is Mike Batt, the musical styles include pop, rock, classical and surf rock in the style of (but better than) the Beach Boys. Peaked at number 18 in the UK chart, which was harsh I felt. The band where notable in wearing "Womble" costumes to protect their identity, and ensure they didn't get recognised - a trick followed years later by Slipknot. The Wombles saw a resurgence in popularity in 2011 having been adopted as the mascot of the groups of citizens cleaning up after the UK riots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, we will from now on keep the Poll to a choice of 0 to 10 out of 10 (11 options) - if you would like any special text to accompany the options, you will also need to submit this at the same time.

This new format will not preclude new additions to the rota, but anyone adding themselves will need to submit their choice in advance, as above.

We believe this will keep Album Club moving in a positive way, and should completely eliminate the many Reserve choices that have been needed, as well as improve the quality of the Club for everyone. It will also relieve you of any time pressure - once your Post is done it's done - and Album Club will take care of the rest.

Any questions, please shout - otherwise get your nomination in ASAP by PM to Album Club (http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=8514) :)

synsei
06-02-2013, 21:48
Album Club: 01.01.2013: The Wombles - Remember You're a Womble (1974)

I presume you guys will be posting the date after Album Club once the new rota is sorted out, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Alex_UK
06-02-2013, 21:52
Hi Dave - "old" Album Club finishes round 3 next week, we will try and keep the running order the same (for all those that want to stay in) so the first "new" one will be 19.02.2013 which gives us a couple of weeks to get everything lined up. You''ll know when yours is up in advance like you do now, but as you will already have done the post, you won't get me nagging you for it. No one else will know your selection until the day - hope that all makes sense.

Audioman
06-02-2013, 22:28
Alex can I suggest you PM every current member with the new rules otherwise quite a few will not read this thread and so miss the Sunday deadline? Do you want us to submit a reserve choice to cover possible duplication?

Paul.

Alex_UK
06-02-2013, 22:42
Hi Paul - sounds sensible, I'll see what I can do.

Album Club
07-02-2013, 12:19
All those on the current rota that have PM's open to receive and have not yet responded have now had a PM bringing this to their attention.

We look forward to hearing from Album Club members old and new. :)

RichB
07-02-2013, 13:42
Happy to keep on contributing if it keeps album club going... I've heard a lot of new stuff this way and some have become firm favourites.

My only concern is that I'll have to decide on an album nomination by Sunday.... for me the worst bit of album club is choosing just one!

dantheman91
07-02-2013, 14:16
I'm In.

UV101
07-02-2013, 19:13
Sorry, OT but if you really wanted to have "keep on wombling" as Album of the week!!!

Must be nostalgia that somehow makes me proud of this! :lol::lol::eek::doh:

DRPFGTqqoGw

****Edit - if thats not embarrassing enough, I've quoted the wrong album in the 1st line!!!

Ashmore
07-02-2013, 19:19
I'm in too. I think the forward submission makes a lot of sense, though the Sunday deadline feels a tad stretching. On behalf of the mortals among us (and myself ;)) I'd like to plea for an extension.

At the risk of seeming over-sensitive, I'm not fond of the adoption of a corporate approach for album club communications. I can see the appeal from an admin perspective, but when we lose the personalised interactions we risk diminishing the sense of community.

S

Barry
07-02-2013, 19:26
I'm in too. I think the forward submission makes a lot of sense, though the Sunday deadline feels a tad stretching. On behalf of the mortals among us (and myself ;)) I'd like to plea for an extension.

At the risk of seeming over-sensitive, I'm not fond of the adoption of a corporate approach for album club communications. I can see the appeal from an admin perspective, but when we lose the personalised interactions we risk diminishing the sense of community.

S

I agree. We all have different writing styles and ways of putting across our enthusiasm for the submitted disc.

I would also make a plea for YouTube clips to be included - I don't have, nor want Spotify.

Apart from that, I'm in. :cool:

Alex_UK
07-02-2013, 20:10
Well, Album Club is usually looked after by me, but I just thought you'd all get a bit bored of me posting them each week, so giving Album Club !his! own account made sense to keep things neutral - but if you'd prefer it to remain personal with me doing them usually (with help from the other guys sometimes) it really makes no odds.

I'm also comfortable with extending the deadline - although don't forget we only need the album choice by then so we can start to put the schedule together and make sure there are no duplicates before two people spend time on the same submission. We can easily pull a final reserve or two out of the bag while people get it together.

The important thing is that we are not trying to impose rules for the sake of it or make it less fun - just trying to maintain the quality and enjoyment of the Club.

Carry on putting your views forward as we will always go with the majority view if we can. :)

Audioman
08-02-2013, 16:18
Alex.

Just submitted my choice. I too was under impression you wanted the whole write up in advance. Is there a second deadline for completion prior to each members designated week?

Paul.

Album Club
11-02-2013, 20:39
Hi Folks - 9 entries so far - and we've got a few fully written up, so in order to give you some more time if you've yet to enter, have another week - please let me have further entries by next Sunday - 17th. Write ups by the following week - 24th?

Album Club
15-02-2013, 20:32
BUMP - 11 currently confirmed for the new Album Club format - if you've been meaning to enter, then please let me have just your album name/artist to start with.

I think I've confused some people - so hopefully this clarifies it succinctly:

We want all submissions up front, en masse - within a couple of weeks. The initial request was for Artist/Album to make sure there are no duplicates, but the intention is that we will have all of the Album Club posts "in the bank" ready for when their turn comes - it will still be a Tuesday (evening usually) when I or one of the other mods can log on as Album Club and post it on behalf of the member.

There will be more work for me/us in posting up the post/poll but that should be countered by less time chasing people and having to get Reserves up - and should improve the quality and uniformity of posts as we are able to "vet" them first.

Hopefully that makes sense... :)

Album Club
09-04-2013, 19:19
Anyone else fancy joining up and giving us all your musical treats to experience?

PM Album Club if you'd like to join the rota - the more the merrier - and a great way for newer members to get involved and for us all to get to know each other. :)

Album Club
23-04-2013, 22:31
OK guys, the rota in post #1 of this thread (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20618) will go to rollover shortly - please can you PM Album Club (http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=8514) with your album choice for the next round by this time next week? Thanks.

johnB
23-04-2013, 23:14
Will gladly do so Alex, but I have no idea how to embed links etc into an email.....is there a tutorial?
Cheers
John

johnB
23-04-2013, 23:38
Ah...have found the tutorial.

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 23:39
John - if you just let me have the narrative I can sort it for you, but to put in a link or picture is very easy - click the world/chain icon and paste the address, and there's a tutorial for pictures here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14874)

Alex_UK
23-04-2013, 23:39
:)