PDA

View Full Version : Funk Firm at Radlett Audio

hifi_dave
04-02-2013, 16:49
http://http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/hifi_dave/016_zps0655359c.jpg

The all new Little Super Deck from Funk.

Lovely little fella from £1100 complete with arm. A variety of finishes or wood trim variants at £1164 complete with arm.

More pics to follow.

vouk
04-02-2013, 16:56
Nice!!!!
What's that tonearm pictured?

DSJR
04-02-2013, 17:04
I'm going to put words into Andre's mouth and complain about the bias weight not landing properly on the top plate. if the line can't be shortened, then the weight must be changed for a squatter, wider one IMO.

I only say this as the market for these decks is very small now and anyone forking out a grand for one of these MUST have a good looking deck that works, stays working and inspires confidence in use. I take the potentially excellent sonics for granted with Arthur's designs (this from an ex-Linn salesman), but they have to continue to deliver for decades as this deck's main competitor has done :)

I look forward to playing (with) it in a couple of weeks :lol:

hifi_dave
04-02-2013, 17:11
Any more criticisms like that and you can play with yourself in the garden..:upyours:

I have just thrown it together prior to setting it up properly with a cartridge. When I do, the bias gantry thingy can be moved for the desired effect.

The arm is the one which comes with the Little Super Deck. Not certain what it is called..:scratch:

DSJR
04-02-2013, 17:15
:eek: Charming

:facepull:

hifi_dave
04-02-2013, 17:16
It is, literally, the angle of dangle.

DSJR
04-02-2013, 17:21
The arm really does look VERY interesting, especially as it doesn't look like a heavily butchered model hailing from Westcliffe-On-Sea :)

vouk
04-02-2013, 17:21
The arm is the one which comes with the Little Super Deck. Not certain what it is called..:scratch:

Just checked the website - tonearm is called the F5, apparently the first of a series of new Funk Firm tonearms? The plot certainly thickens...

vouk
04-02-2013, 17:24
Some info on the F5 tonearm

http://www.musicdirect.com/documents/pdf/AFUNKTTLSD_ARM.pdf

julesd68
04-02-2013, 19:48
Very interesting arm but nothing on the Funk Firm website about the deck yet.
Website is pants and could do with a complete re-design IMO ...

Yomanze
04-02-2013, 21:17
Website is pants and could do with a complete re-design IMO ...

Like a lot of the best HiFi manufacturers! Engineers think in the opposite way to marketers & granted some of these people could do with a webmaster / marketing assistant really.

Oldpinkman
17-05-2013, 18:51
The arm is astonishing. You have never heard bass like it. Only the very best get near it for detail. It gets soo much off the record. See it on my pt.

Oldpinkman
17-05-2013, 19:14
Just had lunch with arthur and a serious heart to heart. He is going to get this one right. Funk have a turntable that can make the firm, and they now have the ability to deliver. Dont know how you ended up with problems with your dangler in the lsd photo. Bias weight is very clever and trouble free. I speak as one with a perfect dangler and the photo to prove it

DSJR
17-05-2013, 20:35
I hope the deck gets sorted consistently too, as the slight flaws in the early plinth samples would have been enough to put fussy clients off. The finish is superb though and unlike previous Funk models, including the tarantella of the late 90's, this one should easily fit into a domestic environment.

Richard, you and I are going tro be accused of shilling for Arthur and hifi dave (amongst others) in a minute :( I've only ever met Arthur at shows and he doesn't know me and in fact, in my brainwashed days, I was critical of the dire finish inside the earlier PT decks, which I have to admit got very much better in later examples..

WOStantonCS100
18-05-2013, 02:40
Side step: Does FF make a white achromat? Colored vinyl "sounds" the best on a white mat. Seriously, it does. The color of the disc is much more vibrant. There's more depth to the recording; an air of heavenliness, soundstaging only trumped by the Donald and, yes, I believe that doves would come spiraling out of my bum if I used one on my TT.

All joking aside, white would certainly be my preference, if they're available.

DSJR
18-05-2013, 08:46
The previous model had a white mat I remember :)

hifi_dave
18-05-2013, 11:00
Dont know how you ended up with problems with your dangler in the lsd photo. Bias weight is very clever and trouble free. I speak as one with a perfect dangler and the photo to prove it

The pic is of a very early pre-production arm, so a bit of dangling is forgiven.

hifi_dave
18-05-2013, 11:01
Side step: Does FF make a white achromat? Colored vinyl "sounds" the best on a white mat. Seriously, it does. The color of the disc is much more vibrant. There's more depth to the recording; an air of heavenliness, soundstaging only trumped by the Donald and, yes, I believe that doves would come spiraling out of my bum if I used one on my TT.

All joking aside, white would certainly be my preference, if they're available.

Yes, they do make a white Achromat. I have one in stock.

Yomanze
18-05-2013, 19:45
I wonder if the cheeky acronym for Little Super Deck, LSD, is intentional?!

hifi_dave
18-05-2013, 19:54

:doh:

:drugs:

tim_bissell
18-05-2013, 22:30

Very much so ;)

The F5 is very tempting; I'm looking forward to the FXR replacement.

-- Tim

Oldpinkman
19-05-2013, 06:43
F5 is a "budget" arm built for the lsd idea. Fxr remains the current flagship design. Whilst ak has lots of ideas for projects i'm not sure an fxr replacement is one. Im due to try an fxr on the pt to compare with the f5 in the next week or so. Will report back. Very hard to believe how it can be better. And lsd deliberate? From the man who originally gave the world his little pink thing?????

Oldpinkman
20-05-2013, 08:02
I've attached another photo of the F5 and uploaded some pictures of my hifi to my only album, as somebody asked me to recently. Still not sure I've mastered the technology on this site yet...

Oldpinkman
14-06-2013, 17:44
Drunk in charge of a samsung galaxy - soz