PDA

View Full Version : Beresford TC-7520 upgrades

tizer2000uk
23-03-2009, 12:37
I'll kick this one off by saying I have just upgraded the opamps to the LM4562 and so far very impressed:

More detail than the stock amps, a smoother sound, great seperation and overall very clean.

They certainly seem to let more of the detail out of the music.

I'll write some more after about 11pm when the mains noise dies down somewhat.

Covenant
23-03-2009, 12:48
Tizer you might want to move this to Mod your Beresford 7520 under The Drawing Board where there have already been a good few replies.
Glad to see your opinion of the 4562 was the same as mine.:)

leo
23-03-2009, 14:00
Yes, I'd try to keep them in one thread guys in the diy section , after a while we can sort out a list of tried and proven to work mods and turn it into a sticky at the top of the diy section:)

tizer2000uk
23-03-2009, 17:47
Got ya, my bad!

theone999
24-03-2009, 03:10
when the mains noise dies down somewhat.

What do you mean by that?

Dougr33
24-03-2009, 04:37
If it's true the metal cans are better, is this a good idea (I'm in the States) http://tinyurl.com/cofph9 Ebay Brit seller.

Does his offer to trim/bend to drop in work for the 7520?

Getgaff
24-03-2009, 22:41
Does his offer to trim/bend to drop in work for the 7520?
Only one way to find out...

..ordered a pair this evening and received the following email from the seller:

"Hi Gareth

Many thanks for the purchase – I’m sure you’ll be impressed with these opamps.
Everyone and his dog appears to be buying LM4562/LME498720 to upgrade their Beresfords! Even Stan himself bought some today ;)
Of course I can form them – I’ll try and do you some special ‘low profile’ versions although there is a limit as I need to be careful not to short any of the legs against the metal casing.
I’ll get them posted off tomorrow.
Please let me know that you have received them safely, and others know how good they are, by leaving feedback.

Cheers
Simon"

Will let you know how I get on.

Dougr33
24-03-2009, 22:46
Heroic effort sir! Hope it goes great. I'm next as soon as we hear back from you.

Only one way to find out...

..ordered a pair this evening and received the following email from the seller:

"Hi Gareth

Many thanks for the purchase – I’m sure you’ll be impressed with these opamps.
Everyone and his dog appears to be buying LM4562/LME498720 to upgrade their Beresfords! Even Stan himself bought some today ;)
Of course I can form them – I’ll try and do you some special ‘low profile’ versions although there is a limit as I need to be careful not to short any of the legs against the metal casing.
I’ll get them posted off tomorrow.
Please let me know that you have received them safely, and others know how good they are, by leaving feedback.

Cheers
Simon"

Will let you know how I get on.

Dougr33
24-03-2009, 22:48
What do you mean by that?

Pretty sure he means that the electrical current in his neighborhood is dirty/noisy during the day (when lots of use, perhaps even industrial facilities, makes the current less stable at voltage or frequency). So it should be quieter at night, probably resulting in somewhat nicer/quieter audio.

Osku
05-04-2009, 07:49
Pretty sure he means that the electrical current in his neighborhood is dirty/noisy during the day (when lots of use, perhaps even industrial facilities, makes the current less stable at voltage or frequency). So it should be quieter at night, probably resulting in somewhat nicer/quieter audio.

If that is the case, then I would suggest him to buy a Eaton 9-series UPS to be used in between. 9-series UPS devices from Eaton (previously Powerware) transform AC (220-250V) to DC (60V) and then build perfect AC of your choosing (208, 220, 230, 240V). That is the best quality power there is available that I know of, and does not even cost that much (ok, it takes about 100W of power when in use). Those are used mostly in hospitals and mission critical computer systems (main servers, cash registers at shopping malls etc.). And one can also disturb the neighbors by playing loud music during an electrical break with the help of those UPS-batteries.
http://www.powerware.com/EMEA/359.asp

I have never understood those that buy or build expensive power cords since with about same cost you can have a device that creates perfect power that can be measured to have a perfect sine wave form even at load.

(I do not use such, we have just a Powerware 5110 1000VA for our computers).

ReachtheSky
06-04-2009, 03:02
Osku, the Eaton 9-series UPS devices sound interesting. How expensive (ball park) are they?

I presume that one of these devices can protect and feed all of your equipment. Therefore, can this really alleviate the need for upgraded power leads to each individual component? That could be cost effective!

Do any other AoS buffs have experience with this type of equipment?
Regards Granville