PDA

View Full Version : Universal remote controller

AntonioJ
03-02-2013, 22:11
Hello,
I know maybe this has been dealt with before, but could not find a clear answer.
I've (like many of us) ended up with several remotes for the HiFi setup (on top of that, another for the TV, the DVD...etc, which is not the case):
One for the CD transport, one for the tuner and another for the DAC (which has volume control).
Even though there's nothing better as the original remote, have you some experience on a multi-purpose remote that can control:
a Micromega Stage CD
a Cyrus FM7 tuner and
a Wadia 15 DAC ?

Thank you very much,

Canetoad
04-02-2013, 09:44
I've had a Logitech Harmony 555 for years and couldn't live without it!

Most items can be programmed by selecting them from a list using the online Logitech application for programming them. Usually I have had to tweek these. Anything not listed can be programmed manually using the existing remote for the item.

Markiii
04-02-2013, 09:52
logitech harmony one for me

easy to configure, and so easy to use once you set up the macros even my mrs can use it, and thats saying a lot

dennis
04-02-2013, 13:08
Iv'e been using a Logitech 895 with RF base extender for a number of years.
The RF means I can keep my boxes out of sight.

Martinh
04-02-2013, 17:16
+1 for Logitech Harmony remote. I ve got a 785 and its great.

Worth spending a bit to get one with colour display, rechargeable etc.

Takes a bit of getting used to the setup, but once you've done it once, it's a piece of cake.

AntonioJ
06-02-2013, 21:39
Thanks very much everyone for feedback!
Cheers,

wee tam
06-02-2013, 22:04
i have a monster (denon) i think , firstly , you need every remote to replace , its function is , you need original remotw to replce , if you have it will replace up 2 eight remotes

UV101
06-02-2013, 22:16
Another one for the Harmony one...couldnt live without it.

To watch TV I've got 1 button
Turn on TV set to HDMI1
Turn on Processor set to TV input
Turn on TiVo
Volume is on processor remote resembles sky remote layout. Very intuitive out of the box and perfect once you have a few custom buttons assigned.

Similar macros for HTPC, PS3, Music (controls amp, CD and squeezebox)

Ive got 7 functions with 15 actual remotes replaced!

Bloody awesome!

Martinh
06-02-2013, 22:22
I read today that Logitech are closing/selling the Harmony brand.

Seems that there's not enough demand, like the SB touch.

I hope that it continues, as its a great product.

UV101
06-02-2013, 22:39
sounds about right.......that really pisses me off!

still my remote, 2 touches, SB3 and original SB will look nice while I swear lots about my 15 remotes on the coffee table and laptop connected to my amp to stream music!!!!

Lets hope they continue some sort of support especially as you have no choice but to store the config for the remote online with their service!¬=!!!!!

Mike - H
07-02-2013, 19:24
+ 1 for the logitech, we have two harmony ones in our house just over three years old. They both developed the same problem with the battery just before Christmas, contacted logitech for advice. Two of the latest model dispatched free of charge within 72 hours, top class service.

Mike

UV101
07-02-2013, 19:26
Mike was the battery problem a loose battery causing reboots by any chance?

Mike - H
07-02-2013, 23:46
Mike was the battery problem a loose battery causing reboots by any chance?

No, it stopped holding charge and when I tried to remove the battery with a view to replace it, I found that it had swollen and jammed in the slot.

Mike

AntonioJ
10-02-2013, 21:00
Thank you all again. I ended up by getting a Philips SRU9600/10 which looks cool besides...:D:D
If I can't make it work I have a queue of family asking of it..!!
Cheers

Martinh
12-02-2013, 12:32
Thank you all again. I ended up by getting a Philips SRU9600/10 which looks cool besides...:D:D
If I can't make it work I have a queue of family asking of it..!!
Cheers

Not seen the Philips remotes, as they are not so popular here, I think.

Looks nice :)

Let us know what you think.

AntonioJ
15-02-2013, 18:01
Hi Martin,
got it back to the shop. All remotes seem to be made with TV and ancilliary in mind. None made to hifi specifics. It was a nightmare setting the remote to control a Cyrus tuner having -even- the code table. No way.
What I'm thinking now is to design and build my own remote to control my hifi devices alone. Cannot be so difficult.
I'll let you know if I make it!
Rgds
Antonio

UV101
15-02-2013, 18:23
The harmony one seems to better suit hifi than the others hence the couple of endorsements ;)

Martinh
15-02-2013, 19:44
Im pretty sure the Harmony will do exactly what you want to do. No problem.

It's the business and if there's a function missing or not quite right, you can easily set it up using the original remote or get the harmony remote tech support to sort it for you.

Can you get the Harmony remotes locally?

Cheers,

phillil
03-03-2013, 14:38
I use I Logitech Harmony Touch.

Looks and feels great, and I can honestly say it's really good.

It can do pretty much everything you could think of, other than RF which MAY be a problem if you need to switch on your puter.

Personally I purchased a MCE remote from Maplins for 9.99 - it's IR and can do all the main functions

Theotherlarryb
15-03-2013, 22:21
As an alternative to the Harmony, try the Philips Prestigo range - I have the SRU8008 and it works just fine for me. Quite a bit cheaper and it has the learning function rather than an online database, with quite a lot of makes preloaded (including, say, Naim which I didn't expect). Those that aren't preloaded are a bit of a faff though.

steviej233
21-03-2013, 18:42
I have a Harmony 555 and it is brilliant, i cannot imagine going back to having 5 remotes!!! :)