PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new PC - Need advice

Mothman
03-02-2013, 13:01
Been thinking that it may be time to change my trusted old HP Pentium 4 (Win XP) desktop PC, it still does 90% of what I want but I have noticed lately that it strugggles with some proceessor intensive tasks such as streaming video and ripping DVD's ect.

I'm a bit out of the loop with regard to current specs and so would appreciate any advice as to preferred makes, processors, amount of ram ect. A desktop form factor would be preferable with built in wireless if possible. A mega sized internal hard drive is not essential though I guess you can never have too much space. Also is Windows 8 now the weapon of choice for an O\S?

Cheers:)

Tim
04-02-2013, 16:27
Hi Rich, not sure if I will be much help as I have never bought an 'off the shelf' desktop computer having always built my own . . . previously because it was much cheaper (not so much now) but also because I like to hand pick the components - I spent more on the power supply and case on my last build than many people spend on an entire system! I'm very picky about power supplies as experience has taught me that a lot of peoples PC woes are caused by a cheap PSU.

Anyway, a bit more information is needed regarding your intended use - could you broadly outline what its intended use is going to be, so I can maybe help with the CPU? I take it you want an Intel machine? I would think an i5 should suffice unless you are a gamer.

Windows 7 or 8 will suit as an O/S, but 8 is quite a departure from what you are used to, but it should see you right for a good few years assuming that Microsoft stick with it? It should be a 64bit O/S and you need a minimum of 4GB RAM, 8 is better and its cheap right now, I have 16GB in my machine. If you are buying a new machine you may have no choice other than to buy a Windows 8 fettled one.

You really want at the very least a 1TB drive in a desktop and an SSD (Solid State Drive) for the O/S really make machines fly. Also look out for USB 3.0 and an HDMI video out. To give you an idea about an SSD, whilst I was messing around at the weekend testing scenarios for Geoff (Walpurgis) I noted some boot times with a clean Windows installation. A mechanical 7200rpm hard drive from turning on the power to it reaching the desktop took 1m 47s - a SATA II SSD 45s and a SATA III SSD 22s. Its not just boot times though, everything is really snappy and it even speeds up web browsing. So if you are investing in a new machine an SSD will pay dividends IMO.

I would buy a few magazines if it were me, PC Pro, PC Advisor and Computer Shopper to give you an idea of prices.

Regarding makes, well this is where I struggle as I have never bought one, but DELL, HP and Lenovo are sound. I personally don't like Acer due to their poor after sales service and website for drivers etc, which I have found lacking when fixing machines for friends - this is where the top two are ahead, not sure about Lenovo after sales, but I expect it to be good.

But buy some mags and take a trip to PC World would be the first thing I would do if I had been out of the loop since XP days ;)

isuckedmandelsonslemons
04-02-2013, 17:01
Apple. They work.

Firebottle
04-02-2013, 17:15
+1
I'm totally frigged off with Microcrap (that's the right way to spell it isn't it?)

I've a relatively new machine running Win Vista:spew: and I still get the BSoD.

The next has got to be a Mac,

:cool: Alan

stevekr
04-02-2013, 17:18
Why not try a 'Hackintosh'. It runs osx and whatever other flavour of OS you'd like. Try tonymacosx86 lots info there. I've been running one for about five years and it's getting easier to do now.

Mothman
04-02-2013, 17:43
Tim, many thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not a gamer and audio duties are currently handled by a couple of SBT's, so I guess web surfing, rippings cd's & dvd's and streaming video from the likes BBC iplayer ect would cover most of it. Not looking for a cutting edge machine but also don't want something that is already at the bottom of the wood pile.

I must admit that I hadn't considered a SSD as I thought these had a very limited life span in terms of write cycles but maybe things have now changed?

I've experience Win 7 on my work laptop but will try to get a look at Win 8 before buying just in case it's very different.

Cheers:)

Audioman
04-02-2013, 20:11
+1
I'm totally frigged off with Microcrap (that's the right way to spell it isn't it?)

I've a relatively new machine running Win Vista:spew: and I still get the BSoD.

The next has got to be a Mac,

:cool: Alan

Should not be getting Blue Screen Of Death with Vista - something very wrong. Under specified PC ?

Tim
04-02-2013, 21:16
I haven't had a blue screen of death since an XP system about 9 years ago and it was a faulty power supply and that was my fault anyway, as I was over-clocking both the CPU and GPU and the power draw was too much for it. As said if you are getting a BSOD these days its your hardware at fault.

It amazes me the how little people know about PC's despite them being in most homes for over 10 years now :scratch:

And guys, for goodness sake Rich asked for advice on buying a new PC, lets keep the Apple/PC war where it belongs, which is not here ;)

Rich, from what you have described I would say you would be fine with an i5 CPU or if you go the AMD route, something like a new A8-5500, which is what I have. Great graphics from an integrated CPU and GPU which AMD are calling an APU (Accelerated processing unit).

John
04-02-2013, 21:31
I found moving to Windows 8 quite easy. With RAM I say anything between 4 to 8 GB will be fine you might not need 1TB if you not downloading lots of music and videos I would think 500 to 750 will be fine.

Tim
04-02-2013, 21:36
I found moving to Windows 8 quite easy. With RAM I say anything between 4 to 8 GB will be fine you might not need 1TB if you not downloading lots of music and videos I would think 500 to 750 will be fine.
Easy for you to say John, I have 12.5 TB here . . . you can never have too many hard drives :lol:

John
04-02-2013, 21:39
Lol

Audio Al
04-02-2013, 22:37
Mac +10 :D

" A apple a day keeps a PC away "

Gazjam
04-02-2013, 22:48
Have to say, been using Win8 for a while now and I wouldn't go back to 7.
A lot of good stuff happening "under the bonnet", you just need to get used to the interface.

..and you do.

Stratmangler
04-02-2013, 23:23
Mac +10 :D

" A apple a day keeps a PC away "

I do hope this isn't an attempt to prolong the Apple "superiority" over all else computing wise non-debate.

The recent iPhone dropped bollock over the removal of Google Maps should tell you that it's wise to shut up now, while you're not under fire.
The addition of Google Maps on the latest version of IOS6 on the iPhone5 (yes, that's right, there's a latest version - :eek: gasp, horror) tells you that even Apple fuck up :D

The Grand Wazoo
04-02-2013, 23:33
As Tim quite rightly said:

And guys, for goodness sake Rich asked for advice on buying a new PC, lets keep the Apple/PC war where it belongs, which is not here ;)

Stratmangler
04-02-2013, 23:37
As Tim quite rightly said:

I fully agree.

Stratmangler
04-02-2013, 23:42
PC World have some reasonably priced machines http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compaq-cq2960ea-desktop-pc-17392836-pdt.html

Unfortunately you're going to need to get used to the feel of a new OS, but that was always on the cards Rich.

Audio Al
05-02-2013, 02:45
I do hope this isn't an attempt to prolong the Apple "superiority" over all else computing wise non-debate.

The recent iPhone dropped bollock over the removal of Google Maps should tell you that it's wise to shut up now, while you're not under fire.
The addition of Google Maps on the latest version of IOS6 on the iPhone5 (yes, that's right, there's a latest version - :eek: gasp, horror) tells you that even Apple fuck up :D

Who was talking about I phones :scratch:

The OP wanted to replace his old PC

An alternative to PC was mentioned before I mentioned it

And NO I won't shut up :ner:

John
05-02-2013, 06:46
I think what we saying is that we do not want another war about the merits of Apple or Windows

Martinh
05-02-2013, 07:39
Hi Rich,

In the last year or so, I've bought 3 of these Zoostorm PCs - 2 for work and 1 for my Dad. Great value and very well rated too. http://www.ebuyer.com/395297-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-0436

Mine came with branded components inside and so far haven't missed a beat. The only thing I changed on the work ones was the CPU fan, as they had the std intel one, which are a bit noisy if you have the unit on the desktop right next to you. Otherwise, everything is good.

Intel core i5, 8gb ram, 2 tb HDD, windows 8 pro for £400. Nice :)

Mothman
05-02-2013, 08:30
Thanks for all the advice guys. I tend to stay clear of Apple stuff, no doubt that they make great kit but I'm not sure I like their business model but I guess that's just irrational personal preference.

With regard to the O\S, I've experimented a bit lately with a few flavours of Linux but the large amount of differing distro's is bewildering and the end of the day I'm probably not geek enough to sort out some of the problems would prefer and something that is automaticaly kept updated.

I know Tim mentioned SSD drives, are these now considered to be the way to go and if so then do you use them for general storage or just to run the O\S from, with a seperate hard drive for file storage?

Martinh
05-02-2013, 12:02
How about giving your existing PC a fresh O/S install and just use it for things like ripping and storing music, video, photos?

Then get a decent tablet (ipad or nexus) for everything else.

I know Tim mentioned SSD drives, are these now considered to be the way to go and if so then do you use them for general storage or just to run the O\S from, with a seperate hard drive for file storage?

SSDs, when used with windows 8 are very quick indeed - I have one in my main PC at home. Very responsive and quick to boot up too. Youll probably need to use a separate conventional HDD for main storage, as large SSDs are still v expensive.

To get an SSD will mean either building your own PC or buying a top end off the shelf unit. 128gb is a good size for the o/s and programs.

Another option could be a windows 8 laptop with touch screen - really makes the o/s come alive.

MikeMusic
05-02-2013, 13:51
Lenovo with W7 would be my starting point

Clive
05-02-2013, 13:56
Then get a decent tablet (ipad or nexus) for everything else.

Or a Note 10.1 for £250 if you hunt around

Tim
06-02-2013, 12:59
You have to love AoS thread drift . . . . Rich wanted advice on a new Windoze PC and then we go into the start of an Apple is best fanbois promotion and now we are on tablets :scratch:

Rich I have added you to my PM contact list, so if you want any further help you can PM me. Not sure if I can, but I'll do my best if you need it ;)

Clive
06-02-2013, 13:09
You have to love AoS thread drift . . . . Rich wanted advice on a new Windoze PC and then we go into the start of an Apple is best fanbois promotion and now we are on tablets :scratch:

Rich I have added you to my PM contact list, so if you want any further help you can PM me. Not sure if I can, but I'll do my best if you need it ;)
I agree the Apple mentions were rather gratuitous, but the laptop + tablet approach was worth mentioning in case Rich found such an approach interesting. If someone asked me the same question in a pub I would check whether there were other options that have been considered. It's hardly thread drift, not everyone is au fait with the current offerings on the market.

Tim
06-02-2013, 13:21
That was all tongue in cheek Clive, I should have added a smiley I guess ;)

Clive
06-02-2013, 13:29
That was all tongue in cheek Clive, I should have added a smiley I guess ;)
OK, I understand now! :cool:

Tim
06-02-2013, 13:35
My sense of humour is often misunderstood on forums Clive (unless you have met me) - I'm a right cheeky bugger and if you can't see my stupid grinning face, a lot gets lost in translation.

Martinh
06-02-2013, 13:59

I was just putting forward another option, as from experience, people seem to moving away from PCs towards tablets and just using their PCs for things like ripping, editing, storing media etc. Even that is under threat, with tablet versions of "serious" pc applications coming out and the rise of cloud storage instead of local storage.

Even Microsoft are moving away from the conventional desktop PC towards mobile computing. They have a new OS out that takes them half way towards that goal - have you seen it? ;)

p.s. i aint a fanboi of any company. I have 4 PCs, an android phone and an ipad.

Tim
06-02-2013, 14:25
No worries Martin, that's just me and how my brain works. If I ask a question about something specific I only want answers in relation to the question asked. I have a very linear and factual way of thinking and get frustrated when people veer off course and you know what I think about Apple (the company, not the products).

Anyway, I'll butt out now ;)

Martinh
06-02-2013, 14:59
Anyway, I'll butt out now ;)

Don't go anywhere Tim, I haven't finished with you yet ;)

I'm annoyed because your "PM me" message reads to the rest of us like "ignore those muppets, PM me for some proper advice".

We all have our opinions and most of us present them on this forum as opinions, not fact. Most OPs accept and embrace the fact that there are going to be many different opinions and they then make decisions having weighed up all the arguments.

In the case of the very fast moving technology industry, it's good to look at all the options, including new products and systems, market trends etc when contemplating a replacement product, IMHO.

That's why I put forward some alternative options, based upon my personal experience :)

Stay cool :cool:

Tim
06-02-2013, 15:25
Don't go anywhere Tim, I haven't finished with you yet ;)
Oh god, how people can read stuff into something that's not there . . . :lol:

I don't have an 'open' PM system Martin and can only receive PM's from either Friends or Contacts, so nothing more than that, how the heck you would read into that, that I think you are all muppets is beyond me :scratch: I was just letting Rich know that if he wanted too he could PM me, nothing more than that...... jeez.

I really am butting out now as this is getting like 'send three and fourpence we're going to a dance . . . ' (Google that if you don't know what it means ;))

Martinh
06-02-2013, 16:01
Oh god, how people can read stuff into something that's not there . . . :lol:

I don't have an 'open' PM system Martin and can only receive PM's from either Friends or Contacts, so nothing more than that, how the heck you would read into that, that I think you are all muppets is beyond me :scratch: I was just letting Rich know that if he wanted too he could PM me, nothing more than that...... jeez.

I really am butting out now as this is getting like 'send three and fourpence we're going to a dance . . . ' (Google that if you don't know what it means ;))

Thanks for clearing that up - I'm sure you didn't mean to, but that's how I read it. You have a very persuasive and authoritative way of writing (take that as a compliment) and it always sounds good, even if you are wrong sometimes :D

Cheers,

Mothman
07-02-2013, 13:03
Many thanks to you all for the advice. I plan to get some mags at the weekend and do some reading up and will get back to you if I need more help (more than likely:)).

From what I've seen so far the ebuyer 'Zoostorm' that Martin linked to looks a great spec for the money though the fan noise appears to a real issue with many buyers and I guess a swap out of the fan will void the warranty :(

Will keep you updated of any progress :cool:.

Martinh
07-02-2013, 17:25
...I guess a swap out of the fan will void the warranty :(

I reckon that if you put it on the floor under a desk, it would be fine. If you put it on the desk with the fan facing towards you (it's on the right side on mine), it may annoy you.

Not sure how warranties for PCs go with regards to upgrades, as its one of the only types of products where adding stuff to it is the norm. The first thing I did with mine was to change the fan and add a 3d graphics card. May be worth checking with the vendor.

Good luck,

synsei
07-02-2013, 17:36
If you order direct from Zoostorm you could spec a different fan I'm sure for just a few quid extra. I can recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, it is reliable, is easy to fit, does a great job and what's more is excellent value ;)

p.s. Oh, and it is silent too :)

Martinh
07-02-2013, 22:19
If you order direct from Zoostorm you could spec a different fan I'm sure for just a few quid extra. I can recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, it is reliable, is easy to fit, does a great job and what's more is excellent value ;)

p.s. Oh, and it is silent too :)

That's the fan that I fitted, the freezer 7 pro. Good. Fan and not too pricey :).

Mothman
09-04-2013, 20:40
Well after weeks of researching PC's on t'interweb and lots of prevarocation on my part trying to avoid Windows 8, I finally decided what the heck and tonight pulled the trigger on this:

Dell XPS8500, Intel i5 3350p, 8GB ram, 1TB Hard Drive, Radeon 7570 1GB Graphics, WLAN, USB3.0, Windows 8, 1 yrs on-site warranty with telephone support: £476 delivered.

There's also supposed to be up to 10% further cashback as I went through Quidco but there are a few reports of Dell reneaging on this so I'm not expecting it. Not the cheapest deal going but we run a lot of Dells at work with few problems and their after sales service seems reasonable'ish.

My thanks again to all those who pitched in with advice :)

John
09-04-2013, 20:43
Windows 8 is not to bad just a case of getting used to it

Gmanuk101
11-04-2013, 10:34
my advice would be not to get a pc unless you are getting mega specs and want a shit hot soundcard. go for laptop.,

i've worked in IT for many years and see the manufacturer's trends...

depends of course what you want to use it for, but I got rid of my big box a few months ago.

for me, and my opinion, is a laptop with usb3, hi res screen, and fast broadband and cloud account.

Mothman
11-04-2013, 12:36
I think it's a case of horses for courses Graeme. At home I use a computer in the same room all the time so a big box is not a problem as it don't need portability and already have decent Iiyama monitor. The desktop will also allow me a small degree of expandibility in the future should I need it, as like to keep my PC's for at least 5 yrs if I can.

My daily driver at work is a Dell Vostro laptop but in truth I use that just like a desktop PC because it's built like a tank and I can't be arsed to cart it home. When I'm travelling with work I use a 10" Asus netbook running Saluki linux as it's light and slips easily in my bag an does what I need. I guess we all have different requirements from our hardware :)

Tim
11-04-2013, 13:14
I would never ever consider not having a desktop PC (for as long as they are available), but then I have differing needs to most people that just browse the web etc. I need a full sized keyboard, minimum 24" screen, full size high speed optical drive and the ability to swap out drives and upgrade components. I also have 2 laptops, a netbook and a tablet :mental:

MartinT
11-04-2013, 13:24
Me too, Tim. I love portable computing but there will always be room for my 'big rig' PC in the study, for when I want to sit comfortably and get real work done. For that, you can't beat the performance of a big powerful CPU, lots of RAM, Windows 8 and a huge screen ;)

All I need now is BT Infinity and they are dragging their feet...

Clive
11-04-2013, 13:43
I have a big screen, remote keyboard & mouse, My Dell laptop connects to the screen and power supply via a docking station which houses several extra USB ports. A good laptop will cost more than a desktop but if you need portability is it possible for a laptop to be very like a desktop. A docking station may save some from buying both a laptop and desktop. Our needs differ, there are many ways to skin a cat....poor cat.

Gmanuk101
11-04-2013, 14:27
totally agree that it horses etc.

if you need a new pc, get a 64 bit one with high BUS rate (the veins that carry the into), a lot of RAM and a decent CPU (dual quad core at the minimum).

depends what your budget is of course, dell have a good few offers on now for home use.

avoid toshiba, sony, acer, hp like the plague,, awful build quality

MartinT
11-04-2013, 14:47
a decent CPU (dual quad core at the minimum)

I find a hex-core CPU sufficient ;)

Lenovo are good, including their all-in-ones.

Mothman
11-04-2013, 15:20

if you need a new pc, get a 64 bit one with high BUS rate (the veins that carry the into), a lot of RAM and a decent CPU (dual quad core at the minimum).

depends what your budget is of course, dell have a good few offers on now for home use.

Already ordered see post 39 ;)

Gmanuk101
11-04-2013, 15:44
Well after weeks of researching PC's on t'interweb and lots of prevarocation on my part trying to avoid Windows 8, I finally decided what the heck and tonight pulled the trigger on this:

Dell XPS8500, Intel i5 3350p, 8GB ram, 1TB Hard Drive, Radeon 7570 1GB Graphics, WLAN, USB3.0, Windows 8, 1 yrs on-site warranty with telephone support: £476 delivered.

There's also supposed to be up to 10% further cashback as I went through Quidco but there are a few reports of Dell reneaging on this so I'm not expecting it. Not the cheapest deal going but we run a lot of Dells at work with few problems and their after sales service seems reasonable'ish.

My thanks again to all those who pitched in with advice :)

bargain!!!! well done that man :)

Tim
That's a very decent machine at a very good price Rich, perfect for home use - nice looking case too :)

Gmanuk101
get rid of that windows 8 stuff and stick a decent OS in it... Like Windows2000 ;)

MartinT
11-04-2013, 16:29
Good spec and great price, Rich. Don't listen to the naysayers, take 30 mins to learn the W8 interface and you'll find it highly productive and very fast. It's also a great OS for streaming and audio playback.

Mothman
11-04-2013, 16:35
Yeah, the specs well above my current needs but I figure it's beter to have too much headroom than not eniough. Looking forward to trying to get to grips with W8 :)

MikeMusic
11-04-2013, 16:49
Good spec and great price, Rich. Don't listen to the naysayers, take 30 mins to learn the W8 interface and you'll find it highly productive and very fast. It's also a great OS for streaming and audio playback.

I thought typing/keyboarding was less than good ?

MartinT
11-04-2013, 16:51
I thought typing/keyboarding was less than good ?

Why? You can use it as easily with or without touch. My desktop doesn't have touch and my Surface tablet does. I switch between them without a moment's thought.

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 07:26
Why? You can use it as easily with or without touch. My desktop doesn't have touch and my Surface tablet does. I switch between them without a moment's thought.
From what I've read and heard

Interesting to hear your views

I also heard the take up for W8 for very low

MartinT
12-04-2013, 07:32
The low take-up of W8 is primarily down to the rapidly falling sales of desktops and laptops.

Anyway, I don't listen to other people's views on such things, I find out for myself! Most of the internet crap written about W8 comes from people who haven't even used it.

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 07:38
The low take-up of W8 is primarily down to the rapidly falling sales of desktops and laptops.

Anyway, I don't listen to other people's views on such things, I find out for myself! Most of the internet crap written about W8 comes from people who haven't even used it.

I am quite happy with W7, surpsingly good I think. I had to go to it and was wary as I like an O/S to be around for a while before I install. I would have stuck with XP if I had been able to as that is solid.
An XP window gives me some backwards capabilty. Other things I can't do with old kit like scanner and printer.
How does 8 compare to 7 ?

Ali Tait
12-04-2013, 07:49

Sadly true about a lot of things.

Tim
12-04-2013, 07:55
From what I've read and heard.
This always confuses me, why do folk take some much heed of "what I've read and heard" and pass it on, without actually finding out for themselves?

Not having a go Mike, so please don't take it that way, its just that so many people do it and I find it odd that people blindly accept what others say without experiencing it for themselves. Richard Dunn is a classic with his dissing of the Brio-R and yet he still has not heard one - rather odd. I would never dream of dissing an NVA amp without first hearing it and then make up my own mind. But even if I didn't like it I wouldn't diss it, just conclude it wasn't to my tastes :scratch:

Anyway, gone a little OT there, sorry :o

Ali Tait
12-04-2013, 07:56

Interesting, perhaps they vary though the model range, as I have used a 17" Vaio for the last two years and it's been faultless. Great machine, powerful and well built.

MartinT
12-04-2013, 07:58
How does 8 compare to 7 ?

Not really the place for it here and you're asking for my view - and it's my view only as I don't want to start a big OS discussion here, but W8 is superior to W7 in every way that matters, most especially in performance. There is nothing in W7 that I miss, is another way of putting it. There is one caveat, however: you have to be prepared to learn it. Don't move over to it, discover it's different, and then whine about it!

Theotherlarryb
12-04-2013, 08:03
Why not take the plunge and look at Linux Mint? Doesn't have to be a Windows / mac OS showdown.

The Nadia edition is a super smooth desktop experience, no need to program at all, brilliant support community, dead simple and best of all...it's free :)

Libre Office works a treat for most everyday productivity stuff and Banshee music player beats iTunes hands down.

I got these guys - www.fiercepc.co.uk - to build me a custom PC to my own spec and preload it with Mint. Worked out of the box. Fantastic experience and really good value for money. I recommend giving them a call!

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 08:27
This always confuses me, why do folk take some much heed of "what I've read and heard" and pass it on, without actually finding out for themselves?

Not having a go Mike, so please don't take it that way, its just that so many people do it and I find it odd that people blindly accept what others say without experiencing it for themselves. Richard Dunn is a classic with his dissing of the Brio-R and yet he still has not heard one - rather odd. I would never dream of dissing an NVA amp without first hearing it and then make up my own mind. But even if I didn't like it I wouldn't diss it, just conclude it wasn't to my tastes :scratch:
Anyway, gone a little OT there, sorry :o
My normality and PCs
I *use* them and frequently have problems no one has ever seen before so I need as stable as possible.
When I change pcs I usually have a parallel run and mod the new one as required.
I will not have a new OS until 1-2 years old, been bitten before
I change pc as little as I can so W8 could well be replaced before my next one !
:)
Reading and hearing about W8 is academic for me for probably a couple of years maybe longer

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 08:29
Not really the place for it here and you're asking for my view - and it's my view only as I don't want to start a big OS discussion here, but W8 is superior to W7 in every way that matters, most especially in performance. There is nothing in W7 that I miss, is another way of putting it. There is one caveat, however: you have to be prepared to learn it. Don't move over to it, discover it's different, and then whine about it!
Thanks Martin
A tick in the ok box then

MartinT
12-04-2013, 08:30
OS Stability

NT - not great
W2000 - not great
XP - Good
Vista - Poor
W7 - Very good (64-bit better)
W8 - Excellent (don't even think about 32-bit)

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 08:31
Why not take the plunge and look at Linux Mint? Doesn't have to be a Windows / mac OS showdown.

The Nadia edition is a super smooth desktop experience, no need to program at all, brilliant support community, dead simple and best of all...it's free :)

Libre Office works a treat for most everyday productivity stuff and Banshee music player beats iTunes hands down.

I got these guys - www.fiercepc.co.uk - to build me a custom PC to my own spec and preload it with Mint. Worked out of the box. Fantastic experience and really good value for money. I recommend giving them a call!
Thanks. I like free !
I think I would find problems they had never seen and that would be a
'brave decision' for me to make. Likely one I would regret

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 08:32
OS Stability

NT - not great
W2000 - not great
XP - Good
Vista - Poor
W7 - Very good
W8 - Excellent

Thanks Martin
We found NT better than W95 and W98

Tim
12-04-2013, 08:43
OS Stability

NT - not great
W2000 - not great
XP - Good
Vista - Poor
W7 - Very good
W8 - Excellent
Perfect summation Martin with which I agree.

MartinT
12-04-2013, 08:47
We found NT better than W95 and W98

Yes, I left out the 16-bit OS as not even worth talking about.

walpurgis
12-04-2013, 11:32
Perfect summation Martin with which I agree.

Tim, how do you define stability?

i.e., what typical problems would this encompass?

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 11:38
Yes, I left out the 16-bit OS as not even worth talking about.

And the wonderful Desqview
Oh how I loved that
Yes I know not an OS but what it did.....

MartinT
12-04-2013, 11:49
Tim, how do you define stability?

Not Tim, but to answer your question:

I define it as the number of OS crashes & freezes, especially blue screens. It's important to distinguish these from badly written application issues (one reason why I would never, ever allow a game to be installed on my machine, much to my son's chagrin), and poor device drivers.

Theotherlarryb
12-04-2013, 12:58
Fair enough! It is a brave decision to try the open source OS world but it's pretty risk free, you can install Linux Mint right alongside W8 and see which you prefer :)

This is a good summary

http://m.extremetech.com/extremetech/#!/entry/linux-mint-14-released-its-like-windows-8-minus-the,50f8975694f4be71693545e9/5

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 13:21
Fair enough! It is a brave decision to try the open source OS world but it's pretty risk free, you can install Linux Mint right alongside W8 and see which you prefer :)

This is a good summary

http://m.extremetech.com/extremetech/#!/entry/linux-mint-14-released-its-like-windows-8-minus-the,50f8975694f4be71693545e9/5
I'd break it
or find something that would not work or some such
My IT guy pulls his hair out and has said more than once "that can't happen" - it does to us

Theotherlarryb
12-04-2013, 14:45
:brickwall:

I know that feeling :lol:

MikeMusic
12-04-2013, 15:59
:brickwall:

I know that feeling :lol:

It is known I am 'special'
I can walk downstairs to our monster Docutech printer and it jams or goes wrong just as I get there - after hours of trouble free running

I have been told to 'go away' or words approximating to that

aquapiranha
12-04-2013, 20:20
Custom PC with Ubuntu / Mint.

walpurgis
12-04-2013, 21:21
Not Tim, but to answer your question:

I define it as the number of OS crashes & freezes, especially blue screens. It's important to distinguish these from badly written application issues (one reason why I would never, ever allow a game to be installed on my machine, much to my son's chagrin), and poor device drivers.

OK thanks Martin. Apart from the recent infection (which I still say came from this site) which wiped out my computer and forced me to reinstall the O/S, I have only ever had freezing problems with IE, occasionally and no other programs (programmes) and never a blue screen.

MartinT
12-04-2013, 21:58
Good to know, Geoff. What OS are you running?

walpurgis
14-04-2013, 22:40
Good to know, Geoff. What OS are you running?

PC & laptop still on XP! I may install 7 on one of them this year. No rush.