PDA

View Full Version : Tentative Turntable Turmoil

littlest hobo
03-02-2013, 10:58
Please help, My heads in a spin (pun intended).

I've not owned a turntable since the early '90's when my Dad gave me a record player he picked up at a jumble sale (remember them?). I loved it and with my dancing and it's crappiness, together we scratched nearly every record I bought :D:doh:

Recently, we've been clearing the loft and I've come across my record collection. Even found my first album "Wham - Make it Big". Given to me by my Gran when I was 6! Music has always been important to me...never said I had any taste though:lol:

So, I've decided to get back into vinyl and this why my heads in a spin, there are so many decisions to be made and this is why my budget has shot up from £200 to £1k at a push. I have the following on my short list, but I'm at a complete loss to know what I'm looking at:

- SRM Athena
- inspire Quest Clear
- Michell Teknodec (can't afford it with Tekno arm)
- Rega RP6

The benefit of the above is they all come with arm & cartridge so less worries about compatibility. Also, spotted:

- Funk Firm Vector II, but I would have to compromise on arm and cartridge and not sure on what would fit/suit
- NAS Spacedeck but again, clueless on pairing with cheap arm and cartridge to bring into budget and wonder if I'd compromise it too much.

I've looked at 2nd hand LPT's but chickened out because can't identify what's been looked after and what's destined for spare parts.

My dream would be a Gyrodec and I've been tempted by a 0% finance deal but can't help but think I'm going beyond my means for something which is after all a luxury item.

This would be a serious big budget transaction for me and I would really appreciate some honest advice.

P.S. not interested in Technics - too macho for me.

Thanks

Audioman
03-02-2013, 11:41
These decks are all worth considering. However you need to audition the various options and how they fit with your present or proposed system as a whole. Have you factored in the cost of a cartridge a phono stage as well?

The Rega RP6 looks a fuss free integrated package and I think is available with Rega cartridge. Unfamiliar with the Inspire and SRM decks but appear to get good reviews. If it was me I would go for the Teknodek with an RB202 arm to keep costs down. You will need at least another £50 for a budget MM and £150 for phono stage. The obvious budget cartridge choice is the AT95E. You could stretch to a Rega Fono MM within your budget. Also spend an extra £20 on a Mitchell record clamp. You can upgrade the arm with a Teknoweight and add an NC power supply later. Also buy some decent records!

hifi_dave
03-02-2013, 11:52
I'd go for the Tecnodec with Rega arm or a Rega RP6. Both excellent turntables which you can fit and forget about fidddling with.

Best budget cartridge I know of is the Rega Carbon at £25 and you can use this with a Rega Fono MM phono stage.

You'd have to spend a whole lot more to better these.

Macca
03-02-2013, 12:02
I'd include an RCM at about £400 in the budget. I'd rather have a cheaper TT playing properly cleaned records than a fancy one playing dirty records. Especially if they have been in the loft for years, although I appreciate that some people do have spotlessly clean attics ;) - it also means you can build up your collection very cheaply buying used vinyl for peanuts. Some shops I have been to you could buy the entire Wham! back catalogue for less than a tenner.

Audioman
03-02-2013, 12:19
I'd include an RCM at about £400 in the budget. I'd rather have a cheaper TT playing properly cleaned records than a fancy one playing dirty records. Especially if they have been in the loft for years, although I appreciate that some people do have spotlessly clean attics ;) - it also means you can build up your collection very cheaply buying used vinyl for peanuts. Some shops I have been to you could buy the entire Wham! back catalogue for less than a tenner.

That would IMHO too seriously deplete the quality of deck affordable (40% + of his budget). Suggest a Disco Antistat or Spin Clean in the meantime to revive the old loft records. Anyway from what OP says they may be in too bad condition.

twotone
03-02-2013, 12:26
Buy yourself a good second hand TT for relative buttons.

I've recently bought an AR The Legend for £250 complete and sold a Rega P3 without cart for a fiver more.

There is no comparison between the two.

Best of luck

Tony

DSJR
03-02-2013, 12:31
If the current record collection's in iffy condition, then a "kind" cartridge is essential to start with - no fancy line contact styli just yet. The Carbon is an obvious no-brainer to start with and will bring much to the initial party and the related AT95E and especially the AT110E (if you can find one) will gently build on this but with rather higher cost, decreasing the fantastic value for money the Carbon/AT91 really is. Cartridges like the Ortofon 510 (VM Red) and 2M Red may be a bit too scrappy on iffy vinyl perhaps?

£400 on an RCM? heck, I had no idea they cost that much (must see you lot coming :)) but a good idea to get the records as clean as possible prior to playing. Some Nagaoka-type inner sleeves will then be a great way of keeing them clean and static-free (no probs over thirty odd years with mine)..

As for the decks, current modesty prevents me from recommending one outright over the others (you know which one ;)), but my general advice is to go for one that -

1: You can sell on easily and at minimal loss should the upgrade bug bite

2: It's easy to set up and get playing quickly with no faff until you've got fully back into it

3: It's easy to integrate into a typical home environment - easy to clean and maintain, at least to start with

Obviously, there are many good used decks out there too, and the PL71 and ubiquitous Techie have many fans here. The Techie can still be serviced and the upgrade path is very well documented. The Pioneer is a rare one in the UK, but enough people rate it, and especially the excellent arm it comes with, to make it a very affordable and good sounding possibility..

Macca
03-02-2013, 12:38
That would IMHO too seriously deplete the quality of deck affordable (40% + of his budget). Suggest a Disco Antistat or Spin Clean in the meantime to revive the old loft records. Anyway from what OP says they may be in too bad condition.

Budget is a grand so that still leaves £600 for TT arm and cart. That's plenty especially if you buy a pre-used deck and arm.

As for the cost of an RCM a couple of people I know who have the skill and knowledge to knock one up themselves have both said that it would cost them almost £400 to build something comparable to the Moth RCM

Audioman
03-02-2013, 13:07
Budget is a grand so that still leaves £600 for TT arm and cart. That's plenty especially if you buy a pre-used deck and arm.

As for the cost of an RCM a couple of people I know who have the skill and knowledge to knock one up themselves have both said that it would cost them almost £400 to build something comparable to the Moth RCM

Moth is £500 OKKI NOKKI still £400 ! Op want's new and probably not the experience to fettle a used deck. The ones recommended are easy to get going and you have dealer support. RCM is essential/justifiable if you have a quantity of records. Best thing if necessary is to find a record or hi-fi dealer who will clean a few cherished albums to see the results. Both RP6 and Tecnodek should see off the cheaper used decks out there that don't need lots of servicing and re-plinthing. He has ruled out a Technics SL1200 already. The AR Legend may be a good alternative or a Systemdec IIX but you need to know what to look for and best fitting new arm/ cartridge anyways. Think the RP6 or Mitchell will be worth the extra cash in her cirrcumstances.

julesd68
03-02-2013, 17:37
Hi Claire,

If your dream is a Gyrodec then I would urge you to go for it - otherwise you'll just be postponing the purchase by buying something else first ...

I'm not an expert on Gyrodecs but there seem to be plenty of good used ones around. This one on ebay looks rather tasty indeed ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michell-Gyrodec-upgraded-to-SE-/390535654781?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item5aedbd2d7d

Keep us posted with whatever you decide :)

Rare Bird
03-02-2013, 17:42
JA Michell is a good option, they are a brilliant company to deal with, i think they are the oldest existing British TT manifacturer.. Highly reliable turntables. I sometimes feel like chucking the towel in & just buying a 'Gyro'..

hifi_dave
03-02-2013, 18:13
Let me know when you're ready..:rolleyes:

chris@panteg
03-02-2013, 18:53
JA Michell is a good option, they are a brilliant company to deal with, i think they are the oldest existing British TT manifacturer.. Highly reliable turntables. I sometimes feel like chucking the towel in & just buying a 'Gyro'..

You could do a lot worse Andre , you could have ended up with a technics lol .

julesd68
03-02-2013, 18:56
:rfl: Very harsh Chris - there's a lot of budding DJ's on AOS ...

Rare Bird
03-02-2013, 19:52
A what! :lol:

Audioman
03-02-2013, 20:01
Hi Claire,

If your dream is a Gyrodec then I would urge you to go for it - otherwise you'll just be postponing the purchase by buying something else first ...

I'm not an expert on Gyrodecs but there seem to be plenty of good used ones around. This one on ebay looks rather tasty indeed ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michell-Gyrodec-upgraded-to-SE-/390535654781?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item5aedbd2d7d

Unfortunately they usually go for surprisingly high prices in auctions which would blow the £1000 budget if including cartridge and phono stage. Otherwise I would have suggested this option. Claire if you can get an excellent example incl arm for under £750 then go for it.

The one advertised should be fine but is a bit of a hodge podge in that it is an AC motor drive that has had the plinth removed and spider kit added. It also has the old Gyro Power which proceeded the QC upgrade for AC motors. It is likely over 18 years old apart from the modified parts. Bonus is arm has been improved with new wiring and Tecnoweight. This all proves that you need to know what you are purchasing with used items. Due to its non-standard origins and configuration it may go for a bargain price so worth watching. Performance may not be that much better than a current spec Tecnodec however with the DC motor.

Strangely some of the parts have come from an original bronze gyro but have been combined with a silver rather than black casting and silver arm board. This all makes me a bit suspicious. It's almost as if parts from various decks have been mixed with new parts !!!

littlest hobo
03-02-2013, 21:23
Thanks everyone for all of the excellent advice. I reall appreciate it and you've given me a lot to think about. So far I've only taken this advice:

Also buy some decent records!

I've ordered

Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell & Angels
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours 35th Anniversary (used to love listening to it in my Dad's car as a kid)

Will keep in touch on decisions, Thanks again all :)

synsei
04-02-2013, 02:26
Hi Claire,

That is a really good example Julian but I have a sneaky feeling it is going to go for big bucks ;)

Rare Bird
04-02-2013, 05:30
tbh im not one for all these flashy up to date Power supplies & mods etc cos im def anyway when it comes to owt like that :eyebrows: I much prefer the Mk.1 'Gyro' with the shiny alloy Platter, the one they used on the 'Focus S' TT..

Audioman
05-02-2013, 13:55
tbh im not one for all these flashy up to date Power supplies & mods etc cos im def anyway when it comes to owt like that :eyebrows: I much prefer the Mk.1 'Gyro' with the shiny alloy Platter, the one they used on the 'Focus S' TT..

The later Gyros are an improvement. I would guess the inverted bearing and plastic platter made the biggest difference. No wobbly piano with the QC as claimed by Techie fans. All dead reliable - my deck's been running 18 years without missing a beat. Just the occasional belt change and new oil to be on the safe side. The Focus was nice little deck and under rated in it's day.

Paul.

Audioman
05-02-2013, 14:01
That is a really good example Julian but I have a sneaky feeling it is going to go for big bucks ;)

I think it's a bit dodgy for reasons pointed out in post 16. May be light but spring covers and top of motor look bronze. It may be a pick 'n' mix job though I'm sure it's sound mechanically. Current price (£500) is nearing it's worth for that reason.

Zoidburg
05-02-2013, 20:18
Iv had my SRM Athena for almost 2 years now, I llove it and wont be changing any time soon. Also Stuart at SRM is a top chap.

littlest hobo
25-03-2013, 19:52
Reporting back on progress - due to family circumstances it wouldn't be prudent to go ahead right now, so my Father kindly lent me his old ITT turntable (complete with 30 year old cartridge)! So, I've replaced the cartridge and am loving listening to vinyl again - not touched a cd since setting up the turntable :-). The good news is that whilst I wait, my budget is getting healthier too.

Am I correct to assume there is a limit worth investing before weaknesses in surrounding set-up negate spending more on a turntable/arm/cartridge etc.

Wakefield Turntables
25-03-2013, 20:42
Am I correct to assume there is a limit worth investing before weaknesses in surrounding set-up negate spending more on a turntable/arm/cartridge etc.

YES! You will eventually realise that there is a law of deminishing returns.