PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

sirAndy
03-02-2013, 00:59
Hi, my name's Andy and I guess I've lurked here for a while without introducing myself - but this seems like a very nice forum so it's about time I did!

I currently use a Well Tempered Record Player with a Goldring 1042 on its original arm but I also have mounted at the rear a beautiful Analog Instruments 'Apparition12' 12 inch tonearm (made from Coco Bollo wood) with a Benz ACE low output cartridge (which I use for 99% of my listening).

This runs into a Trichord Dino phonostage and into a Unison Research Unico SE integrated valve/hybrid amplifier with JJ 12AU7 valves. The Goldring cartridge runs into the Unicos built in phonostage.

I use Spendor SP2/3 speakers (the older version which I consider to be better than the new ones) and also run a Rotel RDD-06 DAC for digital music. (I'm hoping to replace this with an Audiolab 8200CD at some stage this year because I find I still occasionally listen to CDs.)

(I hope that doesn't sound too waffly!!)

I mostly listen to vinyl and I listen to jazz - especially from the 50's and 60's - and (mostly)various types of guitar music - Wilco, Doors, Tweak Bird, Om, etc, as well as some electronic stuff.

NeilNZ
03-02-2013, 01:04
Hello Andy, fancy seeing you here....

Meep.

Barry
03-02-2013, 01:05
Welcome to AoS Andy.

Interesting tastes in music you have there - tell us more!

Enjoy the forum

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
03-02-2013, 01:08
Hi Andy,
Here's a really warm welcome to The Art of Sound from me.
What a great introduction, thanks for that. No doubt, you'll be off to The Gallery soon to get some pictures of your gear up for all to see! I'd be interested to see that Cocobolo arm of yours.

Cheers

sirAndy
03-02-2013, 01:12
Hello Andy, fancy seeing you here....

Meep.

Ah Neil! The very reason I listen to Om! Meep yourself. :)

Thanks Barry. I guess I like anything that's a bit wonky and out of the ordinary. Country tinged rock, psychedelic, "stoner". I also enjoy the classic stuff from time to time - Eric Clapton, etc. Love the Grateful Dead. Silver Jews, Pavement, Naam, Beirut, Tortoise. Heck music is awesome.

And thank you too, Chris. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. She's a humble system but I enjoy her!

vouk
03-02-2013, 08:19
Hi Andy and a warm welcome to AOS from me.
That's a lovely system you got going there; I must admit I have a soft spot for Well Tempered decks - though I am not familiar with your tonearm - I still fondly remember my times, albeit brief, with a Classic.
Same applies for your Unison integrated - lovely stuff - but, then again, anything from the motherland gets my unconditional vote.;)
Since you are considering a new CD player, why not give a Unison a try? If you don't mind buying used, they seem to be going at bargain prices.
Anyway, enjoy your stay. :cool:

sirAndy
04-02-2013, 02:56
Thanks very much for the welcome, vouk. I'll get some photos up in the Gallery when I can - I'm off to the beach for a while so it could be a week or so before I get the chance.

You're right, I'd love to try a Unison CD player, I've heard great things. They don't come up too often here in NZ but I'll ask around. I'm also considering a Rega Apollo-R, I had the original Apollo and it sounded great, though I actually preferred the original Planet (the "clam-shell") which I owned before that.

I do love a good :cool: