PDA

View Full Version : Hello - First Post

ojay
02-02-2013, 18:47
Hello,

I have recently purchased my first proper hifi. After years of listening to music through iTunes/Spotify and studio monitors I decided to give vinyl a try and I'm really enjoying the experience so far.

My setup at the moment is:

Rega Brio-R
Rega RP3 with Elys 2
Apogee Duet DAC
Kef IQ50

I am really enjoying listening to vinyl. Wish I got into hifi years ago. I find it a whole new experience. Listening to music is great fun again. Vinyl hunting is fairly addictive and expensive but it's a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I fear this could turn into an expensive hobby. I am already eying up a pair of Rega RS7's. I listened to them a few weeks ago and the bass clarity blew me away. I do like the Kef's a lot but the low end does let them down a little compared to the rega's.

Anyway, hello again and I look forward to taking part in this forum.

Natalie NWA
02-02-2013, 18:49
Hi Oliver, welcome to AOS. Enjoy your stay

Natalie

The Grand Wazoo
02-02-2013, 19:57
Hi & welcome to AoS.
I wonder what sort of music do you like to play?

ojay
02-02-2013, 21:28
Hi & welcome to AoS.
I wonder what sort of music do you like to play?

Hi to you and Natalie.

I enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Muse, Led Zeppelin, Wynton Marsalis, Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and modern electronic stuff.

At the moment I am trying to educate myself more on jazz. I play the trumpet (badly) and enjoy discovering new jazz to listen to. If any of you have any recommended jazz LP's please fire away :)

Puffin
02-02-2013, 21:34
Do you like straight ahead (modern - not to be confused with contemporary) Jazz, or something more acid and funky?

The Grand Wazoo
02-02-2013, 21:34
If I were you, I'd start a new thread in the music section (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12) - - - you're bound to get lots of suggestions that way.

ojay
02-02-2013, 21:43
Do you like straight ahead (modern - not to be confused with contemporary) Jazz, or something more acid and funky?

Hi Puffin,

My knowledge of jazz is very basic as I'm just getting into it. At the moment I own a Charlie Parker record which I enjoy and a couple of standards LP's with trumpet and some Miles. Yet to find a particular sub genre I enjoy but it's still early days so I guess it's a case of listening around to see what I like. I asked quite a broad question looking back at it. :)

I'll take Chris's advice and talk more about this in the music section sometime.

Barry
03-02-2013, 00:18
Hi to you and Natalie.

I enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Muse, Led Zeppelin, Wynton Marsalis, Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and modern electronic stuff.

At the moment I am trying to educate myself more on jazz. I play the trumpet (badly) and enjoy discovering new jazz to listen to. If any of you have any recommended jazz LP's please fire away :)

Welcome to AoS Oliver,

We're always glad to welcome members who enjoy a wide range of music as you do.

As to recommended jazz? Well you already know about Miles Davis and Wynton Marsalis, so how about Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Charley Parker, John Coltrane, Jan Gabarek, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holliday, Fats Waller, Stan Tracy, Oscar Peterson, Wyston Marsalis, Courtney Pine and Jelly Roll Morton?

Natalie NWA
03-02-2013, 08:46
Hi to you and Natalie.

Great choice in music Oliver we have similar tastes. You should try some Elbow, fantastic.

Nat;)

ojay
03-02-2013, 19:08
Great choice in music Oliver we have similar tastes. You should try some Elbow, fantastic.

Nat;)

Hi Nat,

Funnily enough, I picked up The Seldom Seen Kid last week. Great album. I was delighted when I found out that it's cut at 45rpm. Sounds great.

Barry, Hi and thanks for the recommendations. I'll have a listen to those.

ojay
03-02-2013, 19:23
Here is a pic my brother (who's good with cameras, unlike me!) took a few weeks ago of the RP3.

http://i45.tinypic.com/ddddmv.jpg

I'm furnishing my place at the moment so will get some full system pics up in the gallery section when that is all done.