PDA

View Full Version : Glad to Be Here!

SMK
01-02-2013, 22:23
Hello from cold and snowy and Dayton, OH!

I came across this website researching step up transformers for a SPU so I will be asking some questions along those lines soon, but just wanted to say hi for now and thanks for the welcome.

My rig presently consists of a Mcintosh Mc275 V, and C-22 60th Anniversary preamp. I use a Cambridge Audio NP30 for streaming music files and radio I have started to learn about Lossless downloads.

My analog sources are a Mcintosh MR 71 tube tuner recently brought up to spec by well known Mc tech Terry Dewick.

My challange for the last few months has been working on returning a Thorens TD 124 MK I back into service. Most of that challange has centered on restoration of the SME 3009 Series 1 tonearm which has been entirely rewired by SME Tonearms, but alas upon arrival it was discovered it needs yet more work so back it went today. The Ortofon headshell is empty and wanting a cart and a MC step up is in my near future.

For speakers I am using the Sonus Faber Concerto stand mount speakers. These are the original biwire speakers and they are nice, but some they too are on the list to be upgraded.

I have had great luck collecting records and have quite a few 50s jazz records on Prestige, Blue Note, Riverside etc. Also a number of classic rock albums.

Thanks again for the welcome.

PS I tried uploading a couple of pics but the uploads failed so I'll have to look more into that.

Scott

Alex_UK
01-02-2013, 22:43
Hi Scott, welcome to AoS. Try here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14874) for photo linking (give me a shout if you still struggle) - we'd LOVE to see some pics of your gear - those Macs especially! :drool:

Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

SMK
01-02-2013, 22:52
Here is another go. I had to resize the pics.

SMK
01-02-2013, 22:58
Ok, this should work a bit better with the pic, sorry about that.

:mental:

synsei
02-02-2013, 02:12
Hi Scott and a very warm welcome to you :wave: I love the look of your gear although sadly I have not had the pleasure of listening to any Mac equipment myself, something I need to rectify... :)

Natalie NWA
02-02-2013, 06:32
Hi Scott,welcome to AOS, that is a gorgeous 124 you have, one of my favorite tts and a mark I, you lucky devil :-)

Nat;)

trio leo
02-02-2013, 11:27
Hi Scot,

Welcome to the AoS from me, you will find this a friendly and helpful forum.

I couldn't quite see the picture of your deck clearly, super 124, is it in a Jim Campbell plinth ?

Enjoy your stay here

regards Al

Rare Bird
02-02-2013, 12:02
Welcome Scot. Nice Mcintosh

SMK
02-02-2013, 13:27
Hi Scott,welcome to AOS, that is a gorgeous 124 you have, one of my favorite tts and a mark I, you lucky devil :-)

Nat;)

Natalie, Thanks for the compliment. I bought the Thorens last summer from a second hand store in Canada. They had taken it from a dedicated cabinet and parted out he components so it did not have a plinth. Since it came out of the cabinet it is in great condition. I did buy the plinth from Jim and replaced the mushrooms and did some basic service. It runs smoothly and holds speed well. In short it works like it is suppose to.

The real bonus was the deck came with a Series 1 SME 3009 and the complete deal cost me 950 US shipped. :)

The first time I put the TT in the system it had a wicked hum which I attributed to the age of the wiring in the tonearm and the mess the DIN connector was in. I had SME Tonearms rewire it and it now sits on a brass spacer and has the correct black factory armboard vice the one shown here in the photo. Sadly, when I put it back in serivce the same sum was present. Now I have discovered one of the spring loaded pins at the end of the tonearm is broken and not making contact with the headshell. So.... off to SME Tonearms it went again yesterday for replacement of the factory connections with new. This will have to be custom fitted as no parts exist for the Series 1 arms. In the end I think it will be great deck and while I may try another sometime the 124 has found a long term home.

The web search that brought me to AoS was research for what SUT to use with an Ortofon cart. I can see there is a lot of experience here on this issue. Since my Ortofon headshell has a cheapy non Orotfon cart I also wonder if I should look for a vintage Ortofon cart or if the new Ortofon carts are of the same quality and character as the old?

Here is a bigger photo of the TT with the wrong arm board prior to being serviced for the first time. The tonearm is now somewhere in route as of yesterday afternoon for another go.

Scott