PDA

View Full Version : TECHNICS SU-8080 KNOB WANTED for diy repair

jamesie
01-02-2013, 19:35
hi all , i have recently purchased another technics su-8080 amp and an st-8080 tuner , now it was all meant to be working and mint condition (arent they always) so i paid the seller on ebay and arranged for a courier to collect.
this is where it all went wrong:steam: the seller agreed to a courier as his postage costs were over £50 whic i felt was very steep , so anyway he was going to package it for the winning bidder whether a courier collected it or he had posted it , i booked the courier the two items were collected and then delivered to me .
i opened the box and this is how it was packaged ,, in a box with one wrap of bubblewrap around the amp and the tuner , the amp was on top of the tuner , bearing in mind the amp weighs 15kgs , nothing to protect the front panels knobs or switches .
and the inevitable had happened ,ITS BEEN DROPPED , so i threw it in the boot of the car and took it home very disheartened . as i had a few hours spare i decided to have a good look at the damage which looked quite bad , moreso to the amp , i thought the tuner doesnt look too bad so i started to take it apart to see what i could do with it .
and the damage wasnt as bad as it looked i took of the case and the front panel straightened all of the front chassis and its all good amazing that there is no damage to the actual front panel , so i did the same with the amp but unfortunately one of the knobs is broken , its the speaker selector which is the same as the tape and source knobs ,
at first i was going to contact the seller and send it back , he would probably of binned it ,which would have been a terrible shame, so a little perseverance (about 10 hours) and everything is all good fully cleaned internally and externally all chassis straightened and the only evidence of its terrible ordeal is a broken speaker selector knob:)
so that leads me to the question , can anyone help????

RobbieGong
02-02-2013, 02:33
Absolute feckin nightmare :steam: :steam: :steam: What is it with these so called sellers ??!!, they aint sellers, they are complete inconsiderate shitebags!!!!- Sorry (no I aint!) but thats all they are. You package a very heavy amp and a tuner together (WHY ???) with just a single layer of bubble wrap - brilliant !! Brainless is being too complimentary and kind to these ar*ewipes - words really do fail me !!! :rolleyes: :steam: :steam:

jamesie
02-02-2013, 02:49
thankfully robbie i have saved it ,,:) i couldnt bear sending it back as "not as described" because i imagine that would have been more vintage gear skipped and gone forever , it did make me do a full internal clean whilst it was apart as well:)
i am always really careful when i send anything fragile , plenty of polystyrene bubble wrap and thick card, but i guess some people just dont give a s*@t:steam::steam: