PDA

View Full Version : Tri-amping my soon to arrive MA GR60's

gixerhifi
30-01-2013, 22:16
Hi All,

Tomorrow sees the long awaiting and heavily expensed arrival of my Monitor Audio GR-60's to match the other already sourced GR center and Rears :-).

Now I am using an Onkyo TX-SR875 to pre-out the front and centre to 2 different power amps:

Fronts use a NAD C272 which I am bi-amping normally but now I have the issue it needs 3 amps !!!

So I was thinking maybe I can run the Onkyo front channel to the bass driver and use the NAD to drive the treble and Mid and any combination of this is worth a go I am guessing. I guess my only other option would be to have 3 mono-bloks driving the speakers but then I am thinking how to I get it to split the input and not loose something.
So this all works fine when the NAD is driving from teh Onkyo but then the next problem appears as in I have a Rotel pre-amping my vinyl and cd into the same NAD (twin switchable input s:-)) So then my theory above dies.

I am guessing it will be bi-wire either the treble and mid and then bi-amp that and the bass driver all from the NAD or do the mid and bass and bi-amp that with the treble arrghhhh.

Another fine mess I got myself into :-(

The Grand Wazoo
31-01-2013, 00:01
Well, yes. I think maybe you have got yourself into a mess.

jandl100
31-01-2013, 07:21
Yep - you've just got to try the various combos and see which you prefer.

Don't discount using a single amp where possible, rather than bi/tri-amping - a single amplifier sonic character may well work best, despite the lower power - you may have enough power anyway!