PDA

View Full Version : Monitor audio RX8 and vinyl

candg.wales
27-01-2013, 17:02
I have just replaced my Mission 753's (owned from new) with MA RX8's and thought I would try them with my Thorens/SME. I am presently listening to Paul Simon Graceland. I can't believe the quality of this sound. How did I ever get fooled into using digital formats. I have been playing FLAC 96/24 files for a long time and this vinyl is in a TOTALLY different league. So pleased I kept all 3000 of my vinyl collection. Thinking about replacing its original Shure M75ED next

Graham

steveledzep
27-01-2013, 21:56
Had a Thorens/SME combination myself a few years ago, worked well. You'll definitely benefit from changing the M75ED. What's the rest of your kit and what budget for the cartridge ?

candg.wales
28-01-2013, 19:29
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply

I have recently semi retired so have a lot more time on my hands so I want to get back to the persuit of quality sound. My equipment might give the impression that I am loaded, which I definitely am not unfitunately it's just that I have tended to hoard all my older equipment over the years.

I am in the process of trying to get my head around integrating vinyl playback into my AV systems

I have two rooms each with their own AV systems

Room 1

Yamaha 3067 AV receiver
Monitor Audio RX8 fronts (just replaced Mission 553,s)
Monitor adio RX centre (just replaced a pair of Mission 55c,s)
Mission 77DS surrounds
Mission 77DS Rears
REL Stadium Sub
Samsung BDD5500 player
Home entertainment PC
Sony PS3
SKY HD
Apple TV 1 (jail broken)
Samsung 556800 TV
In Focus X10 projector
OWL 72 inch electric drop down screen

Room 2

Yamaha 2700 AV receiver
Panasonic Series 9 42" Plasma
Mission 753 main for music
Bose AM15 5.1 system for home cinema
LG BD690 BD player
Apple TV 1 (jail broken)
REL Storm sub

In storage and thinking about bringing back to use
Quad 33/303/FM3
Two Quad 405 mk1 power amps
Project Debut
Rotel 985 5 channel power amp

I am probably going to use the renovated Thorens/SME in room 1 as the sound of the new RX8,s is great for vinyl

Hope to get pics up at some point but this platter polishing has taken over my life !!

Back to my brasso

Cheers

Graham

vacdac
28-01-2013, 23:25
Seems a shame not to try & integrate some of the two channel eqpmt. you have kicking around into one of your AV systems. As you have nice dedicated stereo speakers in both rooms. TBH for best SQ for vinyl playback & for any additional stereo sources you may have, I think you can likely do better than using your AV amps for this.

Trouble is due to the age of your stereo eqpmt, niceties such as a HT bypass/unity gain option won't be available on your Quad pre-amp.

There is however another option that would allow you to integrate both setups into one set of main speakers & safely switch between either amp set up depending on your listening/viewing activity. Check this linky out & see what you think. http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/13/06/2010/the-beresford-tc-7220-what-exactly-is-an-audio-crossover-network/

Not 100% re the price....I think it's around £90 & you'd need to factor in a little extra for any necessary runs of speaker cable...should you have none spare tucked away somewhere. It's supposedly a nicely made functional bit of kit.....Food for thought in any case.

All the best.

Chris.:)

steveledzep
28-01-2013, 23:42
Wow ! What a lot of kit you have. I'm unfamiliar with most of it, especially the AV stuff. I'd be very tempted to get your Quad amps serviced, I think they would be ideal with your Thorens TT. The switching solution linked to by vacdac looks ideal to allow both AV and Stereo to be available without much hassle. Have you considered a budget and thoughts on a replacement for the M75ED ? What an exciting project you have ahead, particularly with 3,000 vinyls to rediscover !

candg.wales
12-10-2013, 18:16
Hi guys,

Sorry for long absence, work has been busy

Since my last post I have acquired some other kit very cheap

I'm currently playing vinyl on a Lenco GL 75 / Linn Basik LVX/ AT 95e and loving it

Now thinking about going to valve for hi fi, possibly LEAK stereo 20

Here's an update on my equipment although still have not integrated tge AV with the Hi Fi setup, thinking I'll keep them as separate systems. Hi Steve from Swansea, I'm in Swansea too.

I have two rooms each with their own AV systems

Room 1

Yamaha 3067 AV receiver
Thorens TD125 II /SME 3009 II imp/Shure V15 iii
Monitor Audio RX8 fronts
Monitor Audio RX centre
Mission 77DS surrounds
Mission 77DS Rears
REL Stadium Sub
Samsung BDD5500 player
Home entertainment PC
Sony PS3
SKY HD
Apple TV 1 (jail broken)
Samsung 556800 TV
In Focus X10 projector
OWL 72 inch electric drop down screen

Room 2

AV system
Yamaha 2700 AV receiver
Rotel 985 5 channel power amp
Panasonic Series 9 42" Plasma
Bose AM15 5.1 system for home cinema
LG BD690 BD player
Apple TV 1 (jail broken)
REL Storm sub

Room 2 Audio system

Quad 33/303/FM3
Two Quad 405 mk1 power amps
Project Phono USB
Lenco GL75/Linn Basik LVX/AT95e
Thorens TD160 B mk II /SME 3009 2 imp/ Shure M75ED II
Connoisseur BD1/SAU 2 /Ortofon OM 10

Mission 753 stereo pair

Cheers guys

Graham

Macca
12-10-2013, 21:55
I bet watching films in room 1 is a bit of an experience. Mucho respecto.

candg.wales
13-10-2013, 19:41
I bet watching films in room 1 is a bit of an experience. Mucho respecto.

Cheers Martin, yes it sounds good, well I think so

Although getting back into vinyl again and loving it

Graham