PDA

View Full Version : Hi-fi Geeks Unite!! or Listening Evenings Anyone?

twelvebears
20-03-2009, 19:09
Please excuse me if this kind of masonic activity already goes on, but I'd quite like the opportunity to meet some people who are as tragically addicted (or more by the looks of things) to the Art Of Sound as me.

Frankly, while my mates and wonderfully understanding partner are VERY happy to sit back and enjoy my music and hi-fi, as soon as I have a 'geek attack' and want to start discussing hi-fi engineering, their eyes glaze over.

I don't know where people are based, but are there, or could we start arranging semi-regular get togethers.

I'm thinking a combination of food, drink, music and the kind of hi-fi talk that could bore a non-audiophile to death at 50 paces.

Marco
20-03-2009, 19:35
Hi Steve,

Could be a go-er for people in your area - we very much support mini-bake offs :)

You're welcome to come up to sunny North Wales sometime where I can bore you shitless on how to optimise a Techy ;)

Marco.

twelvebears
20-03-2009, 20:52
Would love to.

Have to say that I'm really enjoying the sound of the DL304 now. I've wound down the VTA (something a stock Techy lets you do SO easily) and it seems to have restored the overall balance a bit.

Am now looking forward to handing the arm over to J7 when I go on my hols. Will make the normal end-of-holiday-blues that bit more bearable.

Now what next? Mat? External PSU?.....

Puffin
20-03-2009, 21:11
I had a girlfriend once in Hemel, was about 40 years ago. Is she still there? I might come up if she is.

twelvebears
20-03-2009, 22:42
Not sure. Let me ask around.....

John
20-03-2009, 22:45
I am in Cricklewood so not to far I can talk hifi and music ps always wanted to hear what the fuss is about the 1210 as well so pm if you like to meet

Marco
21-03-2009, 12:04
Not sure. Let me ask around.....

Just check all the local bus shelters :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Primalsea
21-03-2009, 12:52
I would be up for something like this but haven't had much like with finding a group in the Cambridge area:eyebrows:

There's always the show next week at Heathrow, anyone going??

Puffin
23-03-2009, 21:56

;)

Marco.

She wore angora jumpers :)

muffinman
24-03-2009, 17:21
You're welcome to come up to sunny North Wales sometime where I can bore you shitless on how to optimise a Techy ;)

seems a bit far to go for something we get right here:lolsign:

i totally concur with the 'glaze over' statement though. literally everyone i know could give 2 sheets if music comes from an all valve system or through a can-on-a-string. they often know it's better, they just don't care.
then again, i don't hold a football season ticket (or indeed support a club) and i have never felt the need to pimp my ride. horses for courses i guess

Haselsh1
25-03-2009, 11:47

;)

Marco.

:lol:That is just sooooo funny...!!!

Haselsh1
25-03-2009, 11:52
In all seriousness, what ever happened to serious music and Hi-Fi sessions...??? Does anyone still do nights at home with a group of mates and three bottles of Lagavulin, ears near bleeding from an assault of 'The Wall' on vinyl...??? I remember back in the eighties gathering at a friends house with my Logic DM101/Syrinx PU2 Gold/Kiseki Blue, another mates Crimson monoblocks and the house owners KEF 105.4's and having a right session. Whatever happened to the good old days...???

foxysounds
25-03-2009, 12:29
This sort of thing sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately I won't be able to host one :( My "listening room" is also my home studio and my study. You can just about fit a second person in the room. Maybe a third if they don't mind standing behind the door and ducking to avoid one of the many shelves :)

Simon.

Puffin
25-03-2009, 13:12
That's my problem. A very small listening room. Sofa only seats 2 and the other seat is normally full of crap.http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/saxonsex/Room001.jpg

Ooh look you can see me in the telly (just)