PDA

View Full Version : Used Floorstanding Speaker Recommendations

RobbieGong
23-01-2013, 20:01
Hi, I'm putting the feelers out towards 'possible' future upgrade over my beloved Mission 752 Freedoms. I'm typically curious re: can I do better on a budget. I'd look to used as there's some great stuf out there if you pick clever. Does anyone have experience or strong reccomendation ? I'm after something the similar size and look of the Missions. Not heard any of these, just read positives - Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano, Spendor s5e (although these look small), Other Spendors ie A' series ??, Any suggestions / views appreciated. How potential candidates 'sound' would be appreciated - Cheers :)

isuckedmandelsonslemons
23-01-2013, 20:34
I think you need to tell us how much you're prepared to pay.

RobbieGong
23-01-2013, 20:52
Oh sorry, looking around £500 on the used market. Something that was / is regarded and not too fussy about placement ideally :).

icehockeyboy
23-01-2013, 20:59
Oh sorry, looking around £500 on the used market. Something that was / is regarded and not too fussy about placement ideally :).

Would you get a pair of SF Concerto Grand Piano's for that?

RobbieGong
23-01-2013, 21:02
Would you get a pair of SF Concerto Grand Piano's for that?

Probably not to be honest, but had read a few years back where someone upgraded hid 752 Freedoms to these and recommended them, hence I flung them in the equation. I think around 7-800 on da bay maybe ? Are these good ? would need to save long so probably best stick to £500ish budget !

icehockeyboy
23-01-2013, 21:27
Just had a peep, there's some on Gumtree for £900.

julesd68
23-01-2013, 21:28
Rob, I've had a look at speakers £500 and under on ebay and from what I can see in terms of modern speakers you are probably just going to get a move "sideways" - there's plenty of Spendors and Castles in that price range, none of which will set the world alight. Knowing the kind of music you enjoy I would have thought you'd be better off looking at something vintage like Celestions / Goodmans / KEF's, all of which can pump out some proper bass and sound dynamic at the same time. :D

DSJR
23-01-2013, 21:40
SF Grand Piano's look fab and sound sharp - in all senses of the word. Whether this will be a breath of fresh air in your setup or an overly harsh curse I don't know. The stand mounted Concerto's from the same era, if raised up enough on the better adjstable stands they made, are actually the better, if not the prettier option.

Spendor have made some lovely and endearing floor-standers post the takeover some years ago. the S6E would be my choice (the previous S6 might just be a bit too much full cream for you although I love 'em to bits as a safe, smooth and involving domestic speaker). The S5's are not an endearing match however, as they are finicky in the extreme... I haven't heard the A series, but despite their very plain looks, the sonics seem to be good and a used pair may just come in close to budget.

RobbieGong
23-01-2013, 21:42
Yeah, I do get the impression that trying to beat my good and trusty Freedoms is going to be a defo sideways with £500. £800 - £1K would probably open the door a bit more. Anyway, I'm just feeling the water and likely wouldn't have the reddies til maybe after the summer. Would love to hear thoughs Sonus Fabers or something exotic like that though, just out of sheer curiosity. In the meantime will keep what I have as I always enjoy listening to them.

RobbieGong
23-01-2013, 22:07
SF Grand Piano's look fab and sound sharp - in all senses of the word. Whether this will be a breath of fresh air in your setup or an overly harsh curse I don't know. The stand mounted Concerto's from the same era, if raised up enough on the better adjstable stands they made, are actually the better, if not the prettier option.

Spendor have made some lovely and endearing floor-standers post the takeover some years ago. the S6E would be my choice (the previous S6 might just be a bit too much full cream for you although I love 'em to bits as a safe, smooth and involving domestic speaker). The S5's are not an endearing match however, as they are finicky in the extreme... I haven't heard the A series, but despite their very plain looks, the sonics seem to be good and a used pair may just come in close to budget.

Very useful David - Like you I very much prefer the look if the Concerto Grand Piano Concerto over the Domus Grand Piano. I like the way the grill doesn't go all the way to the floor and shows the bottom half of the cabinet like the Mission 752's do. Just a personal thing in terms of aesthetics.

Lee1976
24-01-2013, 05:14
Epos es 30 are very good even the 25 or 22 will come in under £500. All nice looking speakers and will show the 752's(as good as they are you understand) a clean pair of heels
Monitor audio Studio 20se look very very nice. Seen a lot of them for £500. Some I saw were in London as well.

Linn Kabers can be had for £500. If your amp has enough welly and good power reserves they are capable of giving a very good musical sound.

depending on your amp you have a lot of options. Lookers they may not be I like them though Snell C' the later model is a floor stander and they sound soooo good. If you wait you may get a pair in a nice oak finish.

A lot of good speakers for £500 so take your time and match to your amp and room.

DSJR
24-01-2013, 09:35
I'm not going there with MA Studio 20SE's :nono: and the only negative I have on the Epos 20 and 30 models is their preference for bi-amping if possible. Get them right and they're wonderful though and there's a fair few around I believe. Linns speakers from the 90's really are active models with optional and inferior passive crossovers. kabers are a disaster waiting to happen in passive mode and need the later tweeters fitted if a nasty tinselly sharpness is to be avoided on anything other than soggy vinyl sources - and then you ruin the bass. Keildh's tri-amped active are excellent, but passively driven, the midrange disappears alarmingly, which is a shame. Actually, i wonder how much you could get some Ninka's for these days? I liked these a lot, and they sound as even, if not as clean in passive form as the Keilidh's did actively driven. The Ninka offers easy changing to bi-tri wiring as well as passive-active too, so please don't discount them.

If you're in London, it may be worth taking the trouble to visit Walrus Systems, who have loads of goodies to inspire you for the future, if not today...

Dingdong
24-01-2013, 10:39
How's about a pair of the 90's Kef Reference series. There are a few to choose from, depending on your room.

You would just need to check the foam surrounds are tip-top.

julesd68
24-01-2013, 11:26
These Charios may not have the finish of the Sonus Faber speakers but they do share a lot of the tonal characteristics typical of Italian speakers - big, rich and powerful but with a very seductive top end. Plus you get decent bass due to a downwards firing bass driver hidden at the bottom of the speaker. I suspect someone will get a bargain with these, as they are not well known in the UK and they will sell for pocket money. I believe that Midland Audio Exchange has recently become the UK distributor, so hopefully more people will come to recognise their qualities. I'm on my third pair of Charios and absolutely love them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-speakers-Chario-Syntar-100-Tower-/160959813342?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2579f3d6de

MikeMusic
24-01-2013, 12:56

Just get yourself a pair of Isobariks for £500
I think they are wonderful
Would your amp would cope ?

Macca
24-01-2013, 13:10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-683-Floorstand-Speakers-Black-finish-Ex-Display-/251216091270?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7da55886#ht_997wt_913

vouk
26-01-2013, 11:39
These Charios may not have the finish of the Sonus Faber speakers but they do share a lot of the tonal characteristics typical of Italian speakers - big, rich and powerful but with a very seductive top end. Plus you get decent bass due to a downwards firing bass driver hidden at the bottom of the speaker. I suspect someone will get a bargain with these, as they are not well known in the UK and they will sell for pocket money. I believe that Midland Audio Exchange has recently become the UK distributor, so hopefully more people will come to recognise their qualities. I'm on my third pair of Charios and absolutely love them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-speakers-Chario-Syntar-100-Tower-/160959813342?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2579f3d6de

+1. I am familiar with these particular speakers and they offer exceptional vfm. Whoever gets them is in for a big treat.

DSJR
26-01-2013, 12:14
If you take the baggage that comes with them and also the need to get a refurb kit, then Naim SBL's can still be got for good money. The later ones with cast bass unit chassis can readily be used to advantage outside a Naim system (a Nait 5 series isn't up to it, especially when pushed, but any sub £1K integrated with good power output [XTZ?] should do) and can sound surprisingly smooth and cultured. the same can't be said for the odd, detached, boomy noise passing as bass that many Into's and Credo's produce, however...

hoopsontoast
26-01-2013, 12:40
How's about a pair of the 90's Kef Reference series. There are a few to choose from, depending on your room.

You would just need to check the foam surrounds are tip-top.

Yup, I would agree with that recommendation, I got some older 104/2s for £200, so allows plenty for driver refurbs etc.
Some of the newer models (90's) would probably not need a lot doing to them to be honest. :)

If you dont mind the non-standard gloss black finish:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kef-Reference-104-/330861763180?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4d08e5da6c

Some other ebay choices: (talking best offers)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spendor-S5e-Speakers-/300843452513?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item460baac861

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProAc-Studio-125-Speaker-/221181789999?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item337f76472f

aparently work well near rear walls:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heybrook-Sextet-Speakers-/281055112531?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item417030ad53

Slawts
26-01-2013, 13:27
At the risk of upsetting the thing from Tring, some Monitor Audio Studio 20SE's would be a very good move.

I replaced my Mission 752's with them and was very happy at the improvement. They are quite fussy about amplification and I found the better the amp the better the sound.

I've just replaced them with KEF Reference 3.2's which are amazing if your room is a decent size. Otherwise the Reference 2's would suit.

All would be around your budget.

Cheers,

Steve

DSJR
26-01-2013, 14:02
Me lips is sealed guv'nor :lol:

Excellent choice, those KEF's if I have the model right - the bulging grille/baffle? Not the stodge-boxes at all that I was half expecting and surprisingly sweet, in the best sense of the word as I recall..

Slawts
26-01-2013, 14:05
Me lips is sealed guv'nor :lol:

Excellent choice, those KEF's if I have the model right - the bulging grille/baffle? Not the stodge-boxes at all that I was half expecting and surprisingly sweet, in the best sense of the word as I recall..

Yep a lovely flowing bulge with Cherry real veneer that is beautifully matched. I bought them 'cos they were so pretty and they even play music!:D

Steve

DSJR
26-01-2013, 14:21
Agreed with knobs and bulges on :lol:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
26-01-2013, 14:54
Well above your budget but I have a superb pair of floorstanding speakers that I may be selling because of a change of plan. Speakers are Usher 6311s in piano black. They are brand new and boxed. If you fancy busting your budget but bagging an incredible bargain give me a shout. These are brilliant speakers that will outperform everything in their price range and most speakers double the price.

RobbieGong
26-01-2013, 17:18
Wow, some lovely suggestions to read about and explore, thanks as always to the AOS massive :) Reviews on the Epos es22 sound very positive indeed and may well fit the bill, (wish they were in black though, although wont write them off for that reason) Not lying when I say Ushers have been on my 'fantasy radar' for some time but never felt I could afford some :scratch: Harry, pm on the way.

RobbieGong
26-01-2013, 17:41
Hi Harry, Tried to pm you however I received a message from the forum saying you have exceeded your stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until some are cleared to make space.

julesd68
26-01-2013, 17:45
I really hope you get those Ushers Rob as I reckon they would kick the Epos's butts so hard they end up in space ... Sell a kidney my man!!

isuckedmandelsonslemons
26-01-2013, 17:48
Robbie, there are a few Usher fans on the forum. All of their speakers have a natural sound and I've never found ones I've owned to be fussy about placement. They are great value for money, sound superb and the build quality and overall finish is second to none. I love my new BE10s but I also loved my 6371s which they replaced which is why I can't bear to part with them.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
26-01-2013, 17:55
I really hope you get those Ushers Rob as I reckon they would kick the Epos's butts so hard they end up in space ... Sell a kidney my man!!

Jules, I haven't heard the Epos you mention but I'd defo put the ranch on the Ushers winning that shoot off. And when it comes to sheer good looks its like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada. God those Epos speakers look dull.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
26-01-2013, 17:56
Hi Harry, Tried to pm you however I received a message from the forum saying you have exceeded your stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until some are cleared to make space.

Message box cleared.

julesd68
26-01-2013, 18:01
Harry, if I wasn't so skint I would have had your Ushers from under young Rob's nose! :rfl:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
26-01-2013, 18:12
Harry, if I wasn't so skint I would have had your Ushers from under young Rob's nose! :rfl:

Ah, you need to apply a woman's logic. It's not how much you spend it's how much you save. I applied that logic when I bought my BE10s. And that old boy is why I'm also skint. :-)

RobbieGong
26-01-2013, 19:48

Lol :lol: - you guys are too funny, hence why I love this place, ha ha :lol:
Btw, I'm almost tempted to sell the kidney cause i know they'll sound great and yes, my gosh they look great !!! :stalks: :D :)

vouk
27-01-2013, 06:31
Ushers are phenomenal speakers in every respect. If you strapped a 'made in Italy" tag on them, their prices would jump in the stratosphere - and probably
on a collision course with the Epos...

isuckedmandelsonslemons
27-01-2013, 07:08
Ushers are phenomenal speakers in every respect. If you strapped a 'made in Italy" tag on them, their prices would jump in the stratosphere - and probably
on a collision course with the Epos...

High praise looking at the kit you have. Usher, best bang for bucks in Hifi.

vouk
27-01-2013, 07:53
High praise looking at the kit you have. Usher, best bang for bucks in Hifi.

For me, yep, they probably are. Real gems.

Fi-Wi
27-01-2013, 08:14

I agree. I bought my Syntars over 10 years ago and still love their sound. Spent weeks testing and comparing them to renowned other speakers from the same segment but the Charios sounded the best to my taste. In my book you cannot go wrong with Charios.

vouk
27-01-2013, 08:33
Yay! Yet another Chario owner. Let's ask Marco for our own sub-forum!!

wiicrackpot
27-01-2013, 08:44
[/B]
Lol :lol: - you guys are too funny, hence why I love this place, ha ha :lol:
Btw, I'm almost tempted to sell the kidney cause i know they'll sound great and yes, my gosh they look great !!! :stalks: :D :)
Before you do that, i hate repeating this, HAVE SEX AND LET SOMEONE FILM IT !!!, 100% job satisfaction and no pain,
....well not till you catch a rash or two from them Lassie's, kid you not mate you'd able to afford Harry's speaks before he has time to box them up. :cool:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
27-01-2013, 11:44
Before you do that, i hate repeating this, HAVE SEX AND LET SOMEONE FILM IT !!!, 100% job satisfaction and no pain,
....well not till you catch a rash or two from them Lassie's, kid you not mate you'd able to afford Harry's speaks before he has time to box them up. :cool:

Sounds like a plan.

julesd68
27-01-2013, 13:37
Yay! Yet another Chario owner. Let's ask Marco for our own sub-forum!!

Just googled your Ursa Majors and nearly had to change my underwear! :eek: Damn those are good lookers ...

Up till now the only other Chario owner I know is my mum!! She had two pairs of Charios for two different rooms. When my old Wharfedale Diamonds packed in she very kindly gave me her Syntar 100's. These are the best little speakers I have ever heard and they stayed in my system through many other component changes and upgrades. I will never sell them and now have them boxed up ready for a second system if I ever get a house big enough.

I'm now lucky enough to have a superb pair of Academy II's that I got from the US via ebay. I think these were near top of the range Charios back in the day, and I do wonder how much I would have to spend now to find something to outperform them.

wiicrackpot
27-01-2013, 14:24
Sounds like a plan.
Too right Harry, as you might know any operational procedure carries risks, just looking after Rob's well being, good folk are scarce.

vouk
27-01-2013, 16:08
Just googled your Ursa Majors and nearly had to change my underwear! :eek: Damn those are good lookers ...

Up till now the only other Chario owner I know is my mum!! She had two pairs of Charios for two different rooms. When my old Wharfedale Diamonds packed in she very kindly gave me her Syntar 100's. These are the best little speakers I have ever heard and they stayed in my system through many other component changes and upgrades. I will never sell them and now have them boxed up ready for a second system if I ever get a house big enough.

I'm now lucky enough to have a superb pair of Academy II's that I got from the US via ebay. I think these were near top of the range Charios back in the day, and I do wonder how much I would have to spend now to find something to outperform them.

Hey Julian,

The Ursa Major are indeed really nice - much like any other Chario, beautifully built, very musical and very underrated. Your Academy's were indeed top of the (standmount) range in their day and, imo, true classics. The only current or similar Chario offering, would be the Sonnet (www.chario.it including info and pricing); great speaker but I'm not sure if it would really outperform the Academy's. :cool:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
27-01-2013, 16:47
Yep. I googled Ursa Major as well. Very impressive. If they sound half as good as they look they'll be very good indeed.

julesd68
27-01-2013, 17:59
The only speakers I've really got an urge to try now are big Tannoys and Ushers, neither of which I've heard yet ...

isuckedmandelsonslemons
27-01-2013, 18:37
Julian, if you were closer to me I'd be happy to let you listen to some big Ushers. I have them in a range of sizes from 'manageable' 6311s to 'rather big' 6371s and 'fookin huge' BE10s. MartinTs are even bigger than my biggest :-)

And I have another pair of 6311s sitting in a box waiting for Robbie ;-)

julesd68
27-01-2013, 21:52
Thanks Harry - well you never know - I might actually be moving "up North" in the summer!!

isuckedmandelsonslemons
28-01-2013, 06:42
A move up North is always a good move I'd say.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
28-01-2013, 06:56
And just to emphasise what a great but my brand new boxed Usher 6311s are there's a used pair on the bay at the moment for £950. And horror of horrors they're white.

Roll up, roll up . . .

End time: 26 Feb 2013 23:31:39 GMT

View item:
USHER COMPASS C3-6311 LOUDSPEAKERS (K)

Sent from my iPhone