PDA

View Full Version : Fleetwood Mac: Rumours Super Deluxe Edition

Mr Kipling
22-01-2013, 20:27
Item comprises 4cds, dvd and vinyl lp in gatefold sleeve. Amazon charging £53. Out next Monday 28th.

Sonority
23-01-2013, 12:08
Item comprises 4cds, dvd and vinyl lp in gatefold sleeve. Amazon charging £53. Out next Monday 28th.

I did have this on order, but on advice of friends read the thread on the Steve Hoffman forum about this album.

Whether this (Rhino?) release is as good as the Hoffman USA pressing 517787 is not possible to say yet obviously.

I decided to cancel from Amazon and found a copy of the USA press (apparently much better than the EU press) on Juno records for £35.00 mint/sealed (but has obviously been played) Ordered yesterday and arrived today :)

Worth having a read if your into the album.
PS - the Hoffman (and presumably this new Rhino) is 45rpm.

It sounds rather good as well I have to say on first play.

DSJR
23-01-2013, 12:27
T'was a crap recording on release, at least on UK vinyl. The first CD wasn't any better, all dull and dead sounding, so I wonder how much doctoring has gone on to spice it up for modern tastes?

Mr Kipling
23-01-2013, 13:01
Well. . . I wouldn't say it was crap exactly, Dave. It sounded pretty good on my mate's system. The original master had some accident and was lost, I seem to remember reading. The original cd was disappointing as you say.

prestonchipfryer
23-01-2013, 13:15
I have the 180g Rumours which was purchased last year. Find it far too heavy in the bass and much prefer my original vinyl copy which was bought new on its first release.

Also I have the SACD of this album (WPCR-14171) which is excellent.

I also had the DVD-Audio, thought it was bass heavy as well, so sold it on.

John :)

Audioman
23-01-2013, 14:02
T'was a crap recording on release, at least on UK vinyl. The first CD wasn't any better, all dull and dead sounding, so I wonder how much doctoring has gone on to spice it up for modern tastes?

We are talking about Rumours right? Crap recording you must be joking!!! You can't have had the first Uk pressing Dave. Played it on my JVC JLA1 when it came out and thought it as good as I had heard at that point.

Anyway another reissue is overcooking it a little. Bought the Hoffman/Gray 45rpm vinyl in 2011. Superb mastering. The tapes were fine although apparantly different edits had been used down the years so they had to piece together the correct original ones. I know there were stories that the amount of overdubbing wore the tapes thin so they had to transfer them while mixing.

The SH/KG one beats the original and it hasn't got too much bass. John your system must be bass heavy mate. As for the DVDA - how long ago did you sell it? It's now going for a small fortune so I hope you got a good price.

Paul.

Clive
23-01-2013, 14:11
I wouldn't say the records is crap but on a hi-res system there are imperfections, there's very audible tape saturation in a few places.

DSJR
23-01-2013, 19:08
The LP I have or had was from 1977 on a UK pressing. The CD was so bad when I bought it I dug the LP out and compared them - at the time I remember them both sounding the same.

Sorry chaps, I have FLACs of a recent release of this album and it still sounds "1970's bland" to me. I've said nowt about the music though, which is a different thing entirely :)

Mr Kipling
23-01-2013, 20:11
Bland? I used to use "Dreams", tracks from their Mirage album, which was a favourite, and The Pretenders' Learning To Crawl album as test tracks one time.

I think I can understand why you describe it that way. To my mind it does have a deadness and stillness about it, but still manages to sound quite dynamic at times. I couldn't get away with the original cd and tried some Peter Belt techniques to try to inject a bit of life into the sound. I did find the remastered version easier to live with.

Wakefield Turntables
23-01-2013, 20:28
Ive found the original pressing to be the best.