PDA

View Full Version : What a way to spend Sunday evening!

walpurgis
21-01-2013, 00:56
I got back from the local hospital A&E unit at around 11.45.

We'd just had a late Sunday dinner and at 5.45 there was a crash and a scream from the kitchen. My daughter had picked up a glass tea caddy and dropped it on the worktop causing it to shatter. She reacted automatically to grab it before she realised it had broken and ended up with a large shard of glass going into her wrist.

She came running in to me in the living room in a panic with a teatowel wrapped around it. I sat her down and told her to get her breath and try and calm herself, I could see there was no arterial or vein damage by the amount of blood. Nonetheless it looked nasty.

I drove her to the hospital and she saw six different people who kept referring her on for another opinion in between long waits.

Eventually, an orthopaedic surgeon took her to get a few stitches. Following his examination, it transpired she had cut a tendon. Fortunately, the surgeon said he'd deal with it there and then. It took an hour and a bit for him to do.

Anyway, she now has a couple of weeks of recuperation and she should be OK.

And there I was at teatime looking forward to popping round the local for a couple of Sunday night pints (I no longer work) and all this happened and cocked up my evening!

The Grand Wazoo
21-01-2013, 00:59
Ouch!
Sounds nasty Geoff. It's good that the outcome is hopeful for no long term damage.

southall-1998
21-01-2013, 02:58
Sorry to hear this, Geoff. I'm sure your daughter will be fine!

Marco
21-01-2013, 06:23
Wow, Geoff - not nice, mate.... Sorry to hear that your evening was spoiled, but the main thing is that your daughter is ok. That accident could've been SO much worse! :eek:

She must've had a right shock, though - and you!

Marco.

walpurgis
21-01-2013, 11:30
Thanks guys.

My girl seems chirpy enough this morning, all things considered.

The arm is in a cast to prevent extension of the repaired tendon and with appropriate rest and recovery, all should be well.

archiesdad
21-01-2013, 20:05
Not what you expect after dinner eh?, my daughter had a tendon in her wrist repaired (the surgeon had to take a bit from elsewhere in her arm to rejoin it) and after some time and physio she's fine, hope yours makes a full recovery.

walpurgis
21-01-2013, 21:17
Not what you expect after dinner eh?, my daughter had a tendon in her wrist repaired (the surgeon had to take a bit from elsewhere in her arm to rejoin it) and after some time and physio she's fine, hope yours makes a full recovery.

Cheers Martin, I'm sure she's going to be OK.

Natalie NWA
21-01-2013, 22:22
Ah that's awful, hope your daughter is OK, and maybe try and get an early night. You feel like your waiting forever in the hospital nowadays. Anyway, I hope she is OK.

Natalie;)

Audio Al
21-01-2013, 22:33
:eek: bloody nora

I hope everyone recovers fully :)

Spectral Morn
21-01-2013, 22:52
Hope she makes a full recovery.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
21-01-2013, 23:00
Thanks all!