PDA

View Full Version : Hello from kidnap

Kidnap
20-01-2013, 20:52
Hi I'm Steve based in Winchester Uk. How I got here is either a long or a short story. I'll give you the long version. BBC trained sound engineer, formerly also studio engineer etc. Got myself a decent hi-fi in the 1980s - which hasn't changed much since. Currently original Roksan Xerxes Shiraz Naim 32.5 250 Proceed CD player Epos Es14 speakers. Naim Headline Sennheiser hd565 cans. Various other bits - Nakamichi bx300e etc. Once i got a system i was really happy with i kind of lost interest in "hi-fi" and just listened to music.

I'm a Mac user and mostly listen these days via wifi from iTunes (all apple lossless) via an airport express. Nowhere near as good as vinyl but convenient.

Swapped the express for a Beresford Bushmaster this Christmas just gone. Which prompted joining the forum. First the first time digital matches vinyl - although a different sound.

Musical taste: mainly edge of the envelope music of all kinds. If anybody's interested I can elaborate. Prolly enough for starters?

Barry
20-01-2013, 21:17
Welcome to AoS Stephen.

Always good to have a sound engineer join us, especially one with BBC background. I would ask you for your comments on the sound quality (or lack of it) of digital FM broadcasting, but maybe that is something that can be discussed once you have found your feet and settled in.

I am intrigued however by your term "mainly edge of the envelope music of all kinds". Care to elaborate?

Nice bunch of kit there Stephen. Which version of the Naim 250 do you have: 'screwed on top plate' or 'chrome bumper'?

Welcome again

The Grand Wazoo
20-01-2013, 23:44
Hi Stephen,
Welcome to AoS - it's nice that you've chosen us to join. Plenty to see and do here.
Cheers

MartinT
21-01-2013, 06:59
Hello Stephen and welcome to AoS. Did you not nab some lovely BBC monitors from your sound engineering days?

Beechwoods
22-01-2013, 12:32
Welcome to the forum Steve!

Pete The Cat
25-01-2013, 22:21
Great to have an original Xerxes owner in town. I've a lot of time for them and am lucky to have one to keep my Garrad 401 on her toes. Seemingly under-rated these days - how's she doing ?

Pete

MartinT
02-02-2013, 14:50
I'm surprised any original Xerxes is still working, knowing how much the top plate on my one sagged.