PDA

View Full Version : new member jimmieg saying hello

jimmieg
18-03-2009, 00:37
Hello to all, just found and joined this group today. I have been a music fanatic and audio gear lover since a very young age. When I was about 8 I used to sit on the floor in my parent's walk in closet and use the stereo that my dad kept in there on the floor for some reason. It was one of those suitcase style systems with the top that detached in two pieces for speakers. He had Beatles, Beach Boys, Peter Paul & Mary and I would sit there and listen and have a great time. I was hooked. I have been through a few systems but my current set-up is just about the end-point for me, or at least I hope so. I think I am at the point where significantly better performance will cost alot more money and I don't think I am willing to spend more on the gear. Current system:
Totem Model One Signature speakers on Totem stands
Ayre AX7e integrated amp
Ayre CX7e cd player
Thorens TD280mkII with Grado Gold cartridge**soon to be replaced
NAD PP2 phono stage**soon to be replaced

I have a small dedicated room and listen near-field. I have played guitar since my early teens and have a good sense for what music sounds like. I listen to a broad range of music but the things I love most are rock music from around 1965 - 1975, classic jazz, fusion jazz. Some of my favs are Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Richard Thompson, King Crimson, Yes, Traffic, Patricia Barber.

I will soon take delivery of a restored Thorens TD160 with Sumiko MMT arm and Denon DL103 cartridge. Today I ordered a Denon MC step-up transformer and have not yet settled on a new phono stage..... considering Hagerman Bugle and Audio Technica AT-PEQ20.
Looking forward to learning and getting to know other members.
Regards,
Jim Groce (jimmieg)

Spectral Morn
18-03-2009, 00:48
HI Jim

Welcome to AOS. Nice system you have there. Now knowing what you have, as a system can I suggest you maybe look for a S/H Ayre phono stage. The reason I suggest this is that it will be fully compatible with the Ayre integrated amp and you can use it hooked up in balanced mode. If you haven't hooked up your Ayre CD and Amp with balanced XLR cables you should. This will make a big difference to the sound you get IMHO/E

The Hagerman is good and a bargain at its price and I love valves but the Ayre would be, I think be a better choice and should match the Denon cart as well. The Hagerman will be good too but not as good. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Nice taste in music as well.

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

jimmieg
18-03-2009, 01:02
I have considered the Ayre phono stage, but even 2nd hand I will be spending more than I want to right now. Maybe I should keep my NAD PP2 for awhile and look for the Ayre later. Yes I fully understand the value of true balanced circuitry, and I run my integrated amp and cd player balanced. Years of putting condenser mic's in front of my acoustic guitars has taught me the advantage of XLR cables.
Incidentally, the Hagerman Bugle is not a valve phono stage, it is solid state. There is another Hagerman phono stage, I think the Cornet, which is tube based.
Regards, Jim

Spectral Morn
18-03-2009, 01:19
Hi Jim

Sorry my mistake (about the phono stage) ....there is so much kit out there its hard to remember it all. The Ayre would be my choice but it is dear. Have you tried hearing some phono stages at home, with your kit or even at a dealers showroom ? Hearing is most of the battle.

Sorry to muck up your plans :doh:. Waiting for an Ayre is only the right decision if it suits your set up and you prefer it to the Hagerman. To be honest while the Nad is good for very low cost, you will be shocked how much better vinyl is with a really good phono stage. Buying S/H will give you the biggest bang for your buck or buying direct from the manufacturer. But above all you must listen to your possible purchase before you buy. Most good guys who sell direct, allow a trial period and your money back if not happy.

Hooking up with XLR when balanced is a major thing IMHO.

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Marco
18-03-2009, 10:51
Hi Jim,

Having done some research on the Hagerman, and noted comments on its tonal balance such as (from Michael Fremer in Stereophile) "The Bugle sounded very quiet, surprisingly somewhat warm yet reasonably detailed, and a bit woolly", I'd be tempted to go for the Audio Technica as I think its more likely refined and livelier balance (given the known 'house signature' of AT designs) would be a better match for your DL-103/AU-300LC combo, which is already on the warm side of neutral. It's about synergy and the last thing you want to end up with is a soft sound lacking in clarity and dynamics - unless of course you like that kind of sound.

The other thing with the Hagerman is its battery operation, which although laudable in an audiophile design sense, I don't feel would be practical in the long-term. Battery-operated phono stages have their place (there are some very good ones on the market), but only in my opinion the larger designs that accommodate the philosophy properly, and which have more battery power and thus longer operational life. The Hagerman's two 9V alkaline batteries and their estimated life of around 16 hours is I feel too much of a compromise. When the batteries have been used for a bit (say 10 hours or so) you'll always be wondering if the performance of the phono stage has deteriorated from when the batteries were new, and I could see that leading to all sorts of 'audiophile nervosa' and neuroses, not to mention a fortune being spent on batteries - just my thoughts...

However the decision is yours - good luck with whichever you choose! :)

Marco.

P.S Please also make sure that you read my reply on this thread:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=38200#post38200

break-3
18-03-2009, 19:43
Hi Jim, welcome to AoS. I had a PP2 many years ago and you'll be amazed at the improvement you can get even by spending another £100. If funds are limited, have you considered a Trichord Dino? Pretty good out of the box, but even better if you have the money later to add the Dino+ PSU. :)

jimmieg
19-03-2009, 18:16
I have heard good things about the trichord but not sure how much it costs USD, do have any idea?

Beechwoods
19-03-2009, 18:42
Hi Jim, and welcome to the forum :)