PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the HiFi closet.....

adespade
19-01-2013, 21:52
...well from lurking in the background anyway.

I thought it was about time I made myself known - especially after I noticed Marco has visited my profile page 8 times - probably wondering whether to delete my account or not.

Anyway Hello all, I'm Adrian from Huntingdon, UK and I'm a HiFi addict. I admit I find it hard to resist a Hifi bargain, especially as I cant afford what I think I want - and hate paying the full RRP for anything!

I've had a lot of nice (second hand) stuff in the past but redundancy forced the sale of most of it and I've gradually built it up again to my current system(s) - but even some that must now go to pay for the new(er) TV!

Kitchen - Onkyo + MS10i (I think of it as the wife's system!)
Lounge - Denon AVR3300 + Panasonic 32" CRT & DVD + KEF Q35, 75s, Sub
Office - Main system is in the cramped office

Audio Analogue Paganini MKII (a bit temperamental sometimes)
Inca Tech Claymore
Neat Petite MKIII
Kenwood KT 3050L
Systemdek XEII/900 (with Angle Audio phono preamp)
MF X10-D

Dining - Arcam CD7 (CD82? DAC upgrade) + MF B200 + Rega RP3 + Royd SapphireII.

I also have a Marantz CD-63 MK II KI - internally damped & has an IEC connector but I haven't had the confidence to add the new clock and dedicated supply regulator circuit.
MF A100 that I've upgraded all the caps on etc and sort of works but needs noisy fans replacing
A Thorens TD126 mkIV.
A Strathearn Turntable I was going to turn into an RCM until I found the motors are way too underpowered but I still like its compact shape for.
Another pair of Royd Sapphires that also need the foams surrounds replacing and my daughter has requisitioned the Royd Minstrels and T-amp for her Ipod.

My music taste is quite eclectic in that I like a lot of different stuff - classical, jazz, blues, rock & pop, folk, r&b, and even a bit of country, but I'm not into anything you need to take drugs to appreciate or will make you go deaf!

Whew - I've got more than I the wife thinks I have and spent more than she knows!

Barry
19-01-2013, 21:56
Welcome to AoS Adrian.

Now that you have you have come out of the closet - is it snowing?

Nice collection of gear you have there. What are your tastes in music? (We're a nosey bunch here!)

Welcome again, enjoy the forum.

John
19-01-2013, 21:56
Nice intro Adrian
Welcome to AOS

julesd68
19-01-2013, 23:57
Whew - I've got more than I the wife thinks I have and spent more than she knows!

I'm sure that wouldn't apply to the rest of us! :doh:

Four systems is pretty good going - let us know when you get the bedroom and bathroom sorted out aswell! I recommend an all Linn system for the bathroom ;)

adespade
19-01-2013, 23:58
Thanks for the welcome,

What are your tastes in music?

most things really... I seem to have quite a lot of female vocals like Eva Cassidy, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Norah Jones, Bebel Gilberto etc and bands with female lead - especially the Sundays (Harriet Wheeler could sing anything and it would sound fantastic - sometimes she does!),10000 Maniacs and The Cowboy Junkies.

But also Talk, Talk and Elbow, Radiohead, Roddy Frame, Chris Rea's blues influenced stuff, Clapton, Sting, Robert Palmer, Prefab Sprout, Donald Fagan & Steely Dan.

Blues & Jazz (particularly hard bop) - Lee Morgan, Coltrane, Brubeck, Miles Davis, Jacques Loussier, Pat Metheny, Diane Krall, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Muddy Waters etc

Classical - (though I havent played much recently) especially Bach, Mozart, Beethoven (the usual suspects) , not into Opera really though I do have some.

As you can tell I like to keep an open mind and try to keep my daughter's open too - thankfully she's grown out of the girl band mindset now.

RichB
20-01-2013, 01:51
Lovely introduction mate, there's a lot you said there which resonates with my current situation...

3 systems and counting, not including my portable stuff for on the go. Again my Mrs finds my hobby both intruiging and bewildering and has drawn the line at my having a fourth system in the bedroom, since we got a new telly in there I can't help wondering if my mini t amp and little pair of mission satellites might just make the DVD experience better. Add that to the little iPod dock I keep in the conservatory and the bog is the only room which doesn't have music of some kind!

Never mind, you're amongst friends now although we might not be the best of support groups for folk trying to beat their HiFi addictions.:lol:

Welcome aboard with the variety of systems you have I expect we'll see you on many of the threads.

Rich

adespade
20-01-2013, 14:11
3 systems and counting, not including my portable stuff for on the go. Again my Mrs finds my hobby both intruiging and bewildering and has drawn the line at my having a fourth system in the bedroom, since we got a new telly in there I can't help wondering if my mini t amp and little pair of mission satellites might just make the DVD experience better. Add that to the little iPod dock I keep in the conservatory and the bog is the only room which doesn't have music of some kind!

Rich

Hi Rich,

yes, sounds very familiar - my wife still doesn't really get it either, but tolerates as it keeps me out of trouble. My logic is I'll keep changing/building the system to see if I get some positive comment from her about something sounding really good, at the moment I just get told it's too loud!

You did well to get a TV in the bedroom - that's where the line is firmly drawn in this house, (I don't think I want it myself actually) - all we have there is a Pure Evoke radio.

I sold my Walkman Pro a few years ago, but had forgotten my Sony Discman and MD Walkman are still in a drawer - unused these days as the Ipod is so much more convenient. I also have a couple of Arcam Ipod docks but dont really use them.

MartinT
21-01-2013, 07:03
Hello Adrian and welcome to AoS. Some nice old bits you've accumulated there.