PDA

View Full Version : Twelvebears' pride & joy

twelvebears
17-03-2009, 21:12
OK, for now these are only some photos of my much loved speakers, but they are all I had handy.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv187/twelvebears/P1010197.jpghttp://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv187/twelvebears/P1010199.jpghttp://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv187/twelvebears/P1010202.jpg

Volt BM2500 bass drivers, Morel MDT33 tweeters, custom X-overs with air-cored caps and components hardwired with Chord cable, all mounted in bespoke cabs in 1" thick MDF and finished in a semi-gloss lacquer but a piano man.

The cabs are damped using lambs wool and a 1cm layer of an ultra soft latex which I poured into the cab one side at a time.

The design of the cabs and the choice of finish was a deliberate attempt to visually disguise the fact that there are a bloody great big pair of speakers with 10" bass drivers dominating the end of the room.

Have I mentioned that my better half is a wonderfully understanding music lover?

Oh and if you peer at the left of 1st photo you can just about see my MF Nuvista M3 amp. :-)

Marco
17-03-2009, 21:56
Looking good, Steve - respect! :cool:

You should have some fun in our D.I.Y room.

Marco.

Gromit
17-03-2009, 22:00
Oooh...they're rather nice. :)

Something I'd hope to tackle one day is building my own speakers, although it'd be something more 'ready designed' like one of the WD kits. I'm going to have a go at blowing myself up with one the amps first. :doh:

Beechwoods
17-03-2009, 22:07
They don't look as big and imposing as they could, so you've done a great job on that point - I bet they make an amazing sound! It'd be interesting to see a picture inside 'em :)

twelvebears
18-03-2009, 07:09
Thanks Gents, much appreciated. :)

I had the designs for the cabs produced by Wilmslow Audio having first sent them some sketches, as I had a very clear idea what I wanted them to look like, but getting the volume and bass tuning right isn't something you can do without the right software and the guy at WA was very helpful.

I'd had the drivers for some time in some conventional cabs but wasn't happy with the looks, and I felt the sound was a bit 'muddy' and felt sure it was due to cabinet colouration. The thickness of the panels now solves that problem, plus there there's horizontal bracing, but the big factor is the latex damping, which I obtained from a special effects company.

The trick to getting them to look smaller was the top to bottom backward slope, the angled corners and making the baffle as close to the width of bass driver as possible.

The main plus for me with 'non-manufactured' speakers (the words 'kit' and 'DIY' bother me), is the quality of components you get relative to the cost compared to what you get in a shop bought pair. The drive units alone in these are about £650 and I can't imagine what the retail would be on something similar.

Just thinking that I should now repost this in the DIY section now.....

Spectral Morn
18-03-2009, 09:16
Hi Guys

Twelvebears (great name).

Your Photos are gone...not visible :confused:

Regards D S D L---Neil:)

Why can't I see these photos ? Its a mystery.

Ali Tait
18-03-2009, 09:31
Still there for me...

Nice job! Good to see more diy stuff on here.I have some DIY electrostatics myself.

Marco
18-03-2009, 10:30
Still there for me, too. Try refreshing your browser, Neil. If you want to describe your "D.I.Y" speakers, Steve, you could call them 'bespoke non-commercial designs' :)

Marco.

twelvebears
18-03-2009, 12:17
'bespoke non-commercial designs'... I like that. You should get a job in marketing Marco.

Re the invisible pictures DL, if you're doing what I'm doing and accessing from work in an attempt to alleviate the tedium, then it's because your corporate Fun Police are doing the same as mine and the proxy server is blocking the pics because they are hosted elsewhere.

Basically I followed the (very useful) AOS guide to adding pics and used Photobucket, but had to do it from home as PB is blocked from work and from here I can't see ANY pics on AOS which are externally hosted.

Marco
18-03-2009, 12:24
'bespoke non-commercial designs'... I like that. You should get a job in marketing Marco.

Hehe... Some people say that I have a way with words (or words to that effect) :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-03-2009, 16:38
I CAN SEE.....I CAN SEEEEEEEE !!!!!

Weird very weird, despite doing what Marco suggested still no speakers but now, after logging on this afternoon, they are indeed here and very nice too. Sort of like across between Avalon, Peak Consult and Quadral. Not sure about white though....ummm

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

RochaCullen
18-03-2009, 16:49
Hi Steve,

You have yet to tell us how they sound. I'd love to build a set of speakers myself. I just have to save the money for the kit, as I think that is the way to go!

twelvebears
18-03-2009, 18:37
Hi Neil.

I debated long and hard about the colour. My initial instinct was the obvious gloss piano black but then though it would be like having two of the obelisks from 2001 at the end of the room, then I considered in-your-face Ferrari red, but eventually settled on white and I'm really pleased with it.

When it's against a white or near white wall, the cabs nearly disappear and leave the drivers floating.

Anyway, the sound, great sound stage - both width and depth, especially listening to vinyl. Smooth yet detailed treble, but where they really shine in in the mid and bass.

Volt mid-bass drivers are used by REL, PMC and at the Royal Opera House and I rate them every bit as highly as ATC. They have a 3" voice coil, so the dust-cap is basically a 3" dome mid-range and vocals are superb, which seems weird because you wouldn't expect it from a 10" driver. In fact the main driver is so good in the upper-mid that it means the x-overs can be very simple with a really gentle roll-off.

But as good as the mid is, it's the bass that is the real killer, it's just effortlessly deep. I've never heard them get flustered and I've never felt the slightest need for a subwoofer.

I estimate that in total they have cost me about £1200, which includes about £700 of drivers, components and internal wiring, and the only speakers I've heard which I'd swap them for would be a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas (which I owned, bought 2nd hand but sold in a time of financial need), or a pair of big ATC SMC50s which would be about 4 times the price.

Spectral Morn
18-03-2009, 20:17
Hi Steve

Having looked at your photos again I can see that my first reaction is wrong...for your environment the white works well, and thus was the right call. They sound very interesting via your description of the sound. Its amazing what can be achieved when you know how.

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

John
18-03-2009, 20:54
Lovelly looking speakers and sounds like you got yourself a real bargin as well

aquapiranha
19-03-2009, 22:03
Very nice job there, most (ie. me) never finish the speakers properly...