PDA

View Full Version : Discovered Melody Gardot through Spotify

SteveW
17-03-2009, 20:51
Posted elsewhere about Spotify. Astonishing. Anyone not loaded it yet are in for a treat..sorry not in the States yet though.

Anyway...Melody Gardot. Stumbled on her tonight (oeer matron) Jazzy blues but clever. Lovely.

aquapiranha
22-03-2009, 20:55
Isn't this the girl who wears sunglasses all the time? she says she had an illness which left her sensetive to bright light?? maybe the illness was vampirism? just kidding. I have seen some of her stuff on youtube but not yet 100% struck by her.

SteveW
23-03-2009, 18:53
She's quite fit for a vampire.

jimdgoulding
26-03-2009, 21:00
Actually, she had a brain injury when she was a child that left her unable to assimilate thought. It was her therapist who recommended learning music for her as a means to hasten recovery. Saw her on Live From Abbey Road on the telly with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Fell in love. She is a more capable singer/artist than what is represented on her album, IMO. Hope her next album is up to what I heard of her in that context. She is with a good label long the home of very fine female jazz singers, Verve, now they just need let me produce her.

Another Verve jazz singer who was ably produced and very, very well recorded is Shirley Horn. Try "You Won't Forget Me". The last time Miles Davis was ever recorded is on the title track. On one track, Beautiful Love, she is accompanied by Toots Theilemans on, get this, a harmonica. Ms. Horn was a master of the lament. Her sincerity easily comes across and she is front and center in the mix in 3D relief of her accompaniment.

SteveW
27-03-2009, 18:53
...she's still quite fit for a vampire though.

Covenant
27-03-2009, 19:26
A nicely recorded album and a good singer.
Her real name is Maureen Clegg by the way, so you can see why she changed it to Melody Gardot.

I just made that up-couldnt resist :lol: