PDA

View Full Version : Goodmans Magnum K refurb

oscarsaudio
18-01-2013, 20:03
I was lucky enough to get hold of 2 pairs of Magnum K's for peanuts and really pleased with the sound ,but the cabinets although good for the age are teak and a little tired there's also a couple of knackered drivers so I can make one good pair + some spares.So Birch ply cabinets and some nice Zebrano veneer here we go.

Cabinets completed ,I was hoping to start the veneering today but not quite flat yet so that will have to wait till tomorrow, knocked up a couple of boxes for the external crossovers .

synsei
18-01-2013, 21:29
Nice job Oscar :)

I wish I had the woodworking skills and tools to knock up some new cabs for the damaged Celestion's that are sat in my garage... :rolleyes:

istari_knight
19-01-2013, 09:32
Very nice :) External crossovers ? Are you planning to upgrade the components ?

oscarsaudio
19-01-2013, 11:29
I'm not sure external crossovers will make much difference but it makes it a little easier if i want to experiment with the crossover. I'm not going to to use any exotic caps just pop some new ones in .

thanks for the comments :)

oscarsaudio
27-01-2013, 10:35
finished these now ,Zebrano tops/sides ,Wenge front & backs fitted with adjustable wooden cones (will be making some stands at some stage).Before picture added aswell I think they look a little better.

walpurgis
27-01-2013, 11:34
They certainly look nice.

I notice you've rear mounted the drive units. The general opinion is that flush mounting or front mounting is best, as it avoids 'cavity' resonances. however, as you have apparently bevelled or radiused the holes this may not be an issue.

The Goodmans DT3 tweeter is OK, but not one of the best. I'd be inclined to look for a good used pair of something like the Audax HD 100 D 25 tweeter as a replacement. That would round off the package nicely. You might need to make adjustments to the crossover component values to do this though.

istari_knight
27-01-2013, 11:44
The drivers certainly look better rear mounted - Nice job.

You might already have it but I've attached a spec sheet.

hoopsontoast
27-01-2013, 12:24
The midrange and tweeter are designed to be rear mounted, as when the grilles are on, they sit flush with the front of the grille. So thats quite a neat solution if you dont need the grilles.
Nie job on the veneer!

oscarsaudio
28-01-2013, 11:18
Thanks for the comments.
As Rob says the speakers where designed to be used with the covers on so the drive units were'nt flush mounted with the covers on.
To my ears they sound better (certainly no worse) than the originals ,this could be down to the cabinet materials ,damping materials , extra bracing or driver mounting who knows but at least they look good and sound good.

julesd68
28-01-2013, 13:49
Superb job Oscar.

Any idea what this would cost if you were doing it for a punter? Not something I'm considering at the moment but would definitely bear it in mind for future projects!