PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DV-717

Effem
16-01-2013, 20:20
I have just won a Pioneer DV-717 on ebay. In the back of my mind I have heard over the years that this is a pretty good DVD player and some folks are using them in their hifi systems as a transport or taking advantage of the none too shabby built in DAC.

Your opinions or has my memory been playing tricks again? :scratch:

Mr Kipling
20-01-2013, 13:02
No replies, Frank!

I remember when dvd players were "hot news" they were considered to make good cd players. Jon Marks, then Editor of Hi-Fi World, used to run a Panasonic A350, not sure of amp now and some Maggie SMGs. Noel reviewed a couple of Philips' that he found sounded very good. The Sony 725 which was out at the same time as your Panasonic was part of a group review and rated as the best sounding, but not fantastically so. Years later it showed up in "Old World" and was more enthusiastically judged. Can't remember if it was by Mr Beobloke or Haden Whotshisname - or some other as David P. had by then left.

Not a great deal of help in your particular case but I do remember your Panasonic was thought to do a reasonable job at playing cds.

Rare Bird
20-01-2013, 13:13
Stephen
I have two Sony S725' machines one needs a new lazer, they are packed with flash components, nice 24 Bit DAC too.

Mr Kipling
20-01-2013, 13:37
Actually André, I have one! I got it from Cash Converters in Newcastle for £20. Quite a bargain as it originally cost £500. It was priced at £20 as there was no display. Luckilly, it was just turned off in the menu! I like the front panel layout and it's solid build.

Rare Bird
20-01-2013, 15:57
Yes they were expensive, good picture quality, i was'nt entirely truthful when i said the laser had gone on one! It has'nt only the laser that reads DVD' a music CD half will still play. I must get a new un tho while i still can, all the same as i have absootley no intentions in buying a Blu Ray machine.

:nono:

Yomanze
20-01-2013, 19:04
I have just won a Pioneer DV-717 on ebay. In the back of my mind I have heard over the years that this is a pretty good DVD player and some folks are using them in their hifi systems as a transport or taking advantage of the none too shabby built in DAC.

It is a world-class CD transport. As a CD player my Theta & Audial DACs do soundly beat it. I have four DV-717s picked up for £30-ish, which isn't bad considering they were £650 in the 90s. :)

It buffers CD data into memory (like the PS Audio PerfectWave Memory Player ;)), and re-reads on error instead of applying judicious error correction like lower quality mechs. You can really hear the difference with this machine & Pioneer always paid better attention to digital outs than most. I used to use a stable platter player, which was very good, but the DV-505 & subsequently DV-717 are in a different league.

Floyddroid
21-01-2013, 00:06
Yup. I got one of them. It's shit hot. I use it as intended as a dvd but it is very good as a music machine too. enjoy:)

mad-moon
21-01-2013, 10:00
The dv-717 is superb...sold mine and bought a pioneer pd-8700:doh:..It could be a bit tempremental playing copied dvd's... but as a cd player is right up their with the big lads..on reflection..wish I'd kept it...I've got my eye out for another one...the remote is a work of art too..though a bit on the big side...a very nice buy for beer money..