PDA

View Full Version : Too good to be true (or where did I go wrong?)

virajsingh
15-01-2013, 12:45
HI Guys

Saw an ad for an EAR Line stage on craigslist at Pound 1100 (http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/3538393949.html). Given that an EAR 868 with Phono has just been sold on this form for around Pound 2200, is this deal too good to be true or is there some catch.

The reason why I am asking is that I did got a response from the seller saying he was fine selling it to me Pound 1000 (my offer price) but wanted the money only by bank transfer and delivery to be made after transfer has been effected. I had offered payment in cash and personal collection either myself (am visiting UK from 20-23 Jan) or through some friend in UK, but I was also OK with bank transfer.

To my request for the seller to give me his cell/mobile number and residential address (so that I could talk to him and satisfy myself before effecting the bank transfer; I gave him my cell number as well) I did not get a response. On being reminded he responded that he only had a Apple Ipad and anyway was not keen on selling it to me. I fully respect his right to sell or not sell his equipment to me.

But it got me wondering if this indeed was a genuine advert or if I had crossed some red lines or internet etiquette in wanting to be sure about the seller's identity.

Would appreciate your comments views on the matter as I dont want to loose on such a bargain in future is indeed this was a genuine advert.

Cheers
Viraj Singh
New Delhi, India

For Moderators: I am not sure it this is the right place to post this or if such post are allowed. In case they are not allowed this may please be deleted (and my apologies for posting in case it is deleted). Thanks

synsei
15-01-2013, 12:49
Hi Viraj,

If the seller is not willing to meet you in person and accept a cash payment then I would give the guy a wide berth if I were you.

Dingdong
15-01-2013, 13:01
If you want to gamble a thousand pounds got for it.

If he won't take cash on collection or speak to you on the phone I'd not bother.

Dingdong
15-01-2013, 13:05
I've just had a quick look at the hifi on Craiglist. All of the high end hifi seems to be at prices too good to be true.

Yomanze
15-01-2013, 13:14
HI Guys

Saw an ad for an EAR Line stage on craigslist at Pound 1100 (http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/3538393949.html). Given that an EAR 868 with Phono has just been sold on this form for around Pound 2200, is this deal too good to be true or is there some catch.

The reason why I am asking is that I did got a response from the seller saying he was fine selling it to me Pound 1000 (my offer price) but wanted the money only by bank transfer and delivery to be made after transfer has been effected. I had offered payment in cash and personal collection either myself (am visiting UK from 20-23 Jan) or through some friend in UK, but I was also OK with bank transfer.

To my request for the seller to give me his cell/mobile number and residential address (so that I could talk to him and satisfy myself before effecting the bank transfer; I gave him my cell number as well) I did not get a response. On being reminded he responded that he only had a Apple Ipad and anyway was not keen on selling it to me. I fully respect his right to sell or not sell his equipment to me.

But it got me wondering if this indeed was a genuine advert or if I had crossed some red lines or internet etiquette in wanting to be sure about the seller's identity.

Would appreciate your comments views on the matter as I dont want to loose on such a bargain in future is indeed this was a genuine advert.

Cheers
Viraj Singh
New Delhi, India

For Moderators: I am not sure it this is the right place to post this or if such post are allowed. In case they are not allowed this may please be deleted (and my apologies for posting in case it is deleted). Thanks

It's a definite scam.

All legitimate sellers would get on the phone to discuss. On top of that, who has an iPad, but no mobile / landline phone?!?!?

virajsingh
15-01-2013, 13:53
Thanks Guys

attilio7
15-01-2013, 17:02
My advise, stay clear from this.

Techno Commander
15-01-2013, 17:26
The power sockets on the wall are not a UK type. The picture is from "elsewhere". :)

Marco
15-01-2013, 17:31
My advise, stay clear from this.

Too right! Viraj, don't touch this with a bargepole. The guy is clearly a conman. Instead, report the ad (and seller) to the relevant authorities, for suspected fraud!!

Marco.

archiesdad
15-01-2013, 22:09
Run for the hills Viraj, if things seem too good to be they usually aren't. Craigslist seems to be awash with cons on high end hifi lately.
Enjoy your trip over but check the weather before travelling, you could find yourself knee deep in snow.

virajsingh
16-01-2013, 08:52
thank you once again guys...will stay clear of him....

@Martin - Well I know it is perhaps not the best time to come to UK (was in UK in 2007 February and it was very cold indeed) but can't help it as I am coming on official work and this is the only time that all my team members are free to travel...anyway in India I get far too much heat so snow would be welcome (as long as I don't get stuck in it)

Cheers (ah where is that single malt?)