PDA

View Full Version : Beresford DACs

magiccarpetride
14-01-2013, 21:45
Decided to make a short stopover, while I wait on some piece of documentation here at work. Just a quick comment on the value of Stan's DACs -- not only did his Bushmaster help me reach the final destination in chasing the high quality sound reproduction, it was also extremely easy for me to sell his older DAC (Caiman) at practically no loss. Put it up on craigslist, and it was gone in a jiffy! (some people still seem to know the power of bang-for-the-buck;)

So the value of these products continue to shine. The re-sale value seems solid too. The only (potentially) bad thing for the manufacturer is that I (and perhaps some others too) don't think I'll be purchasing any other DACs any time soon. Even if Stan decides to improve on his Bushmaster (hard for me to envision how would that be even possible, as this is the most neutral sounding DAC I've ever heard), I think I'd have to give it a pass. I am extremely pleased with the sound I'm getting out of this DAC, so much so that I feel any attempts to better this would merely verge on neurosis.

It's never too late to stop!

AlanS
14-01-2013, 22:38
Have you tried other suppliers dacs recently? You might get even more of a surprise. Take a punt.

magiccarpetride
14-01-2013, 23:25
Have you tried other suppliers dacs recently? You might get even more of a surprise. Take a punt.

What would you suggest?

Covenant
15-01-2013, 12:46
Well I am desperate to hear the Venom mod Bushmaster but it looks like its a low priority for Stan at the moment. So my uber modified Caimen is also doing great service in my main system and an el-cheapo Sabre dac doing very good service attached to my computer.
The only improvement I would wish for dac-wise is a bit more depth to the soundstage.

AlanS
15-01-2013, 14:34
Anything in the same price range. I read a review of 6 DACs one of which was a B model - it came about 4-5 th IIFC.

I just use a cheap £40 dac from a general electronics store. Perhaps you could find something like that.

BTW your endless reporting of improvement/burning in of that last model over weeks really put me off them. I mean who wants something that is either for ever changing or takes so long to get used to. It put me off Mr B products ever since. Don't get me wrong if someone left one on my doorstep I'd try it otherwise my curiosity is well done in.

Be open minded. It pays

synsei
15-01-2013, 14:53
It all depends on ones budget Alan, for the price the Bushmaster would be hard to beat on performance I'd wager.

roob
15-01-2013, 15:09
I have heard of a couple of people saying the Teac dac is a worthwhile improvement over a Caiman for £150

synsei
15-01-2013, 15:21
At £150 the Teac DAC is a bit special however it is an end of line item and therefore is being discounted to shift the remaining stock. I believe its full RRP was closer to £300. That's not to say you shouldn't buy one of course as there is nothing on the market at that price that can compete with the spec, the Teac even supports asynchronous USB.

Theadmans
15-01-2013, 16:28
At £150 the Teac DAC is a bit special however it is an end of line item and therefore is being discounted to shift the remaining stock. I believe its full RRP was closer to £300. That's not to say you shouldn't buy one of course as there is nothing on the market at that price that can compete with the spec, the Teac even supports asynchronous USB.

...I am currently pondering whether to buy a Bushmaster or this Teac at £150. It would be nice to try the asynchronous USB with my Squeezebox Touch. However, I do not want to get too hung up on the technology - at the end of the day which gives the nicer sound the Bushmaster or the Teac? I do a lot of headphone listening so which DAC of the two would give better sound through the headphone amp (using Sennheiser HD650's) ?

synsei
15-01-2013, 16:35
I can't speak from experience Adam but there are many very satisfied Bushmaster owners out there who confidently state that the BM outperforms DAC's more than twice the price, and many of them regularly use the BM's headphone stage so I'm guessing it ain't too shabby ;)

Theadmans
15-01-2013, 16:53
I can't speak from experience Adam but there are many very satisfied Bushmaster owners out there who confidently state that the BM outperforms DAC's more than twice the price, and many of them regularly use the BM's headphone stage so I'm guessing it ain't too shabby ;)

...yes that's what I thought too having read through these forums. In a way it is a point in the Bushmaster's favour that there is a forum like this for the DAC. I also kind of prefer buying a DAC from a chap like Stanley than some faceless corporation like Teac. If I buy the Teac and get problems I doubt I will be able to pick up the phone and talk to anyone at Teac about it !

AlanS
15-01-2013, 17:11
...yes that's what I thought too having read through these forums. In a way it is a point in the Bushmaster's favour that there is a forum like this for the DAC. I also kind of prefer buying a DAC from a chap like Stanley than some faceless corporation like Teac. If I buy the Teac and get problems I doubt I will be able to pick up the phone and talk to anyone at Teac about it !

If you buy the Teac you wont get problems.

StanleyB
15-01-2013, 17:15
I bought the TEAC DAC to compare against the BM. All I can say is that I have nothing to worry about.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/BMT.jpg

synsei
15-01-2013, 17:33
If you buy the Teac you wont get problems.

I've had my Caiman for over two years and the only problem I've had during ownership was due to the Gator board not working properly. I reverted back to using the standard board, albeit with a few mods, and it sounds wonderful now.

magiccarpetride
15-01-2013, 17:38
Anything in the same price range. I read a review of 6 DACs one of which was a B model - it came about 4-5 th IIFC.

I just use a cheap £40 dac from a general electronics store. Perhaps you could find something like that.

BTW your endless reporting of improvement/burning in of that last model over weeks really put me off them. I mean who wants something that is either for ever changing or takes so long to get used to. It put me off Mr B products ever since. Don't get me wrong if someone left one on my doorstep I'd try it otherwise my curiosity is well done in.

Be open minded. It pays

It is true that, in my experience, those DACs did take their sweet time to bed in properly. But hey, it was definitely worth the wait (especially for the Bushmaster!) The melange of sounds on Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" only now makes sense.

If I ever get a second stereo system in my house, I'll definitely go for other DACs in the similar price range (out of curiosity). But for now, I'm all set and all the audioholics paranoia and neuroses are thankfully behind me:)

Canetoad
15-01-2013, 18:06

You won't have any problems with Stan on service and after sales support. I can vouch for that personally! I sent it on Friday and received it back the following Monday! :stalks:

Jonboy
15-01-2013, 18:33
I am considering trying a bushmaster to see what all the fuss is about, already have a gaitored Caiman but my Tubehunter built valve dac leaves it standing, the other thing is it dosn't have usb so that leaves me with looking for a usb to coaxial/optical converter :scratch:

RochaCullen
15-01-2013, 18:46
Where is the Teac currently selling for £150?

synsei
15-01-2013, 18:47
Richer Sounds I believe ;)