PDA

View Full Version : Boxed set Beethoven symphony 78s

Westyman
14-01-2013, 16:43
I hope this is near enough the right area - mods move if not.

In my recent Welcome drivel I mentioned some vintage equipment that was going on eBay found when clearing out my Mother's house after she died.

We also found some 78 recordings. Some local enquiries suggested they were landfill fodder and to an extent I can understand that.

BUT there was a complete Beethoven symphony (5 I think) in a faded leather cloth folder conducted by Toscannini that I thought maybe wasn't landfill fodder. I'm not bothered about making any money on it but it would be a shame to chuck it if someone wanted it. The records looked in fine condition, knowing my Dad whom I presume was the original purchaser, that doesn't surprise me.

Any thoughts? I do not have immediate access to them as they are in Suffolk and I'm not.

jostber
15-01-2013, 16:18
Sounds like fine stuff. What was on the other 78s? Jazz and blues 78s in fine condition can get some good prices at eBay.

shane
15-01-2013, 22:18
That's what got me into all this in the first place. Dad had Beethoven's 6th on five 78s, conducted by Toscanini on HMV, and I can't remember ever not knowing it note for note. Even now if I listen to the 6th I twitch involuntarily when it should be time to get up and put the next record on, and I've yet to hear an interpretation I like as much.

Sadly, they're not going to make you rich. Get hold of a 78 turntable and enjoy them yourself instead.

Westyman
16-01-2013, 20:51
Now there's an idea.....

....except I've been out of the analogue loop for so long, I'm not sure what could play them. Don't you need a rose thorn to play 78s?

Are stylii still made for 78s? Who? Would any modern era pickup arm give enough tracking weight.....

Oooooo....a new avenue of research here :-)