PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from Australia

icecream boy
14-01-2013, 00:17
Hey folks, greets from Australia.

I'm a young one just starting out with my first system. I've been into music for years, though I thought record collecting and listening would be a fun hobby. I'm a fan of old school metal and rock like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath, as well as some prog like Pink Floyd and King Crimson and a lot of new bands such as Eagle Twin and Baroness.

Been browsing here for a short while, though I still get lost with a lot of the terminology. You will probably see me post minimally, I've always been a better listener than speaker.

Obviously I'm low on cash, so my setup is minimal.

-Sansui FR-1080 turntable
-Teac A-105 cassette player
-Bravo V2 AU1 headphone amp
-Sennheiser HD 201 headphones
-Sherwood Piccollo 4" Bookshelf Speakers

Hoping to learn a lot from you guys, I'll be posting another thread in the Blank Canvas section asking for setup advice later on today.

Thanks

The Grand Wazoo
14-01-2013, 00:28
Hi Steve,
Welcome to The Art of Sound, it's great to have you here.
Don't worry too much about the terminology - you'll pick it up pretty fast. Don't be afraid to ask anything - we all love to help.
If you still feel shy, there's still help at hand in the AoS Library - 'The Knowledge', which you now have access to (one of the privileges of membership). We have a couple of things there that will help you out - stick 'em in your bookmarks!

The AOS Glossary of Hi-Fi Parlance (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3260)

Audio Abbreviations (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19962)

As well as an incredible source of knowledge & experience on the subject of hi-fi, there are some truly extraordinarily knowledgeable music fans of all types here too. If you want a recommendation on what to buy, you'll not go far wrong asking on AoS.

Cheers

icecream boy
14-01-2013, 01:01
Cheers Grand Wazoo, I'll have a look through those links some time today :)

Hardware recommendations and clarifications are what I'll be looking for mostly, there are a million and one different results on google which can be a bit daunting.

John
14-01-2013, 05:11
Hi Steven
We have a few old school metal fans here I come from that kind of background and still like my music quite heavy at times and lucky to have a system that really gives this justice
Hope you enjoy your time

Beechwoods
14-01-2013, 07:43
Welcome to the forum, Steven, I look forward to seeing you around.

MartinT
14-01-2013, 11:59
G'day Steven and welcome to AoS :)