PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Markiii
12-01-2013, 14:51
Afternoon chaps

My first post, but I've been reading since Christmas. Having found you during a search for like minded souls, fueled by that rare combination of free time and good beer which meant I was actually sitting and listening for the first time in ages.

My voyage into the world of hifi seems to have been my fathers fault who I remember from a young age having a very tasty Pioneer Turntable, Rotel Receiver and Wharfedale speakers. Strangely the more he has lost interest over the years the more I've swung the other way.

Having started off in my teens with what can only be described as a lo-fi Phillips midi system, I progressed through my uni years collected a pretty decent Technics seperates system (thanks mostly to 18th and 21st birthday presents) and then it seems dissapeared at a tangent into the world of AV where it took me a while to realise that what makes for a good AV system often makes for an average at best Audio system.

having moved house in 2003 I rather lost interest as the house was more building site than residence for a good 5 years. But I'd always promised myself that with a lounge worthy of doing things properly I would venture back into the world of decent sound

which leads me to where I am today which against all the rules of listen before you buy seems to have become assembled from a host of unmissable bargains that theoretically should work well together and to my ears at least have actually done so.

Streaming is taken care of by a Squeezebox ensemble consisting of a Transporter in the lounge, Touch in the Kitchen and office and an old iPhone running IPeng in the garage. All files ripped as FLAC using DBPoweramp

Additional main lounge sources by

Pioneer PDS904 running as a transport only (Personally I always rated Pioneers stable platter, but there Legato Link whilst well intentioned was often more miss than hit)

Technics SL1210 Mk2 with DIY modded IEC Power connecter and Gold Phono sockets, with an Audio Technica AT120E (Though I still lust after a Mk5G)

Very Early (read painfully slow operation but great quality) Sony 1st Gen Blu Ray Player

Sky+ HD2TB

Asus EeeBox system running XBMC for Movie streaming

Amplification is taken care of by an Arcam AV9 Processor (with Phono board) using its onboard DAC for all digital sources, and matching Arcam P7 7 Channel Power Amp

These powering Monitor Audio RS6 Fronts (Bi-Amped) with matching RS series centre and rears and a BK Monolith Sub

It was actually the search for Technics tweeks that drew me here and the most obvious (can't beleive I hadn't already done it) improvement has already been to setup the arm, height, VTF and anti skate. I do love free improvements, as always its a slipper slope as massive improvements from small things makes you wonder how big the improvements would be from big things.

The Grand Wazoo
12-01-2013, 22:24
Hi Mark,
What a great introduction - welcome to AoS from me.

Next step is to tell us a little about your musical proclivities & then a trip to the Gallery to show us some photos of your set-up!

Cheers

John
13-01-2013, 05:35
Great intro Mark I am looking forward to reading your posts in the future

MartinT
15-01-2013, 06:27
Hi Mark and welcome to AoS.

Very Early (read painfully slow operation but great quality) Sony 1st Gen Blu Ray Player

Yes - I had one of those. Very slow to boot up but great performance!

archiesdad
15-01-2013, 22:16
Howdy and welcome, think you'll like it here, I've not been here that long and it's a bonnie place to while away the hours.

Qwin
16-01-2013, 13:15
Hi, Mark and welcome.
New here myself, I also did the AV home cinema projection room thing before striving for a more purist aproach to audio. Also was attracted by the "Techie" threads. Looks like we will be checking out some of the same stuff. Frankyc2003 has a really good one going about moving the power suply external, with lots of pictures, I like pictures, less room for misunderstanding instructions. Check it out: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22954

Barry
19-01-2013, 02:12
Welcome to AoS Mark.

Nice introduction. We would love to see some photos of your set up and learn a little more about your musical tastes.

Enjoy the forum