PDA

View Full Version : Garrard motor partial service

wiicrackpot
12-01-2013, 09:57
Just snatched a very early flat strobed 401 cheap through the festive period and very nice condition it is too,
pictured lurking at the back on wooden stilts held with duck tape of my Ditton 44 pics.

Now the question, while i cleaned all linkages of old gunked up grease and serviced the bone dried bearing now running like a sweetie,
is there a way to partial oil service to the motor?, don't have the nerve to give it the full dismantle,
i am thinking there must be a way to loosen somewhere and poke a syringe through to drop some oil in.

Thanks in advance.

Rare Bird
12-01-2013, 10:01
I think just popping some oil down the shaft might do it.

wiicrackpot
12-01-2013, 10:04
Thanks RB, will i need to take the fly wheel off?, i'll need to see how difficult it is to access the the shaft under the fly wheel if not.

oldius
12-01-2013, 10:34
There are holes in the flywheel that are specifically for lubricating the motor. If you have a look on vinylengine you will be able to download or view the section of the 401 manual that refers to this.

I am a technical numpty so I do not speak with any authority whatsoever but this is something that I understood and was able to do as I was fearful also of taking the motor apart. Fortunately Dominic Harper had serviced my 401 so I knew that a couple of drops each year should keep the motor happy.

Natalie NWA
12-01-2013, 10:41
Just snatched a very early flat strobed 401 cheap through the festive period and very nice condition it is too,
pictured lurking at the back on wooden stilts held with duck tape of my Ditton 44 pics.

Now the question, while i cleaned all linkages of old gunked up grease and serviced the bone dried bearing now running like a sweetie,
is there a way to partial oil service to the motor?, don't have the nerve to give it the full dismantle,
i am thinking there must be a way to loosen somewhere and poke a syringe through to drop some oil in.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andy, lubing the motor will only lube the top bush, the motor need stripping down to flush out all the old oil.

Cheers Natalie

Wakefield Turntables
12-01-2013, 11:16
Stripping down the motor is actually very easy. You will need a copy of the excellent garrard tt manual. If you are feeling feint hearted then yes send it to Nwa is heartily recommend them.

wiicrackpot
12-01-2013, 13:56
There are holes in the flywheel that are specifically for lubricating the motor. If you have a look on vinylengine you will be able to download or view the section of the 401 manual that refers to this.

I am a technical numpty so I do not speak with any authority whatsoever but this is something that I understood and was able to do as I was fearful also of taking the motor apart. Fortunately Dominic Harper had serviced my 401 so I knew that a couple of drops each year should keep the motor happy.
Geoff, heard it said before but i can't for the life of me see where the lubricating holes are when i look through the holes,:scratch: so that makes me a super numpty. :doh:

Hi Andy, lubing the motor will only lube the top bush, the motor need stripping down to flush out all the old oil.

Cheers Natalie
Hi Nat, thanks for the input, i'd really like to flush this one out going by the condition of the bearing and greases that i cleaned off,
but it shows the quality build of these old Garrards when the little i've done has brought it back to immaculate working condition,
bang on speed with speed dial set to middle and 1.5 revolution to speed stability, it's just really peace of mind for my need to clean and oil the motor. :)

Stripping down the motor is actually very easy. You will need a copy of the excellent garrard tt manual. If you are feeling feint hearted then yes send it to Nwa is heartily recommend them.
Andrew, i've no problem taking it apart i think, but it's the putting it back together thats giving me the shakes,
i have never seen it asked about a part service for the motor, it's all or nothing jobs.

oldius
12-01-2013, 14:05
Rotate the wheel until they line up with the holes beneath. You may need a bright light to see.

wiicrackpot
12-01-2013, 14:39
Is it the 3 small rivet like holes?, if it is i always thought they were just rivets. :scratch:

Canetoad
12-01-2013, 16:21
I saw a article on another site (can't remember which) by Paul (Reffc) on servicing his Garrard 401. Drop him a PM and get the link. I'm sure he'll be happy to help. :)

wiicrackpot
12-01-2013, 17:00
I saw a article on another site (can't remember which) by Paul (Reffc) on servicing his Garrard 401. Drop him a PM and get the link. I'm sure he'll be happy to help. :)
Thanks Bernie, been pointed by PM to Chops54 photo tuition on the job, might give Paul a PM in due course if i take a brave pill,
done a lot of maintenance work throughout my TT owning days so not exactly a dunderheid. :o

Moko
13-01-2013, 00:00
This is a really good guide to servicing the motor http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5167-Servicing-the-Garrard-401

I had never done much mechanical stuff before and managed to do mine fairly easily, just make sure you don't lose any of the clips & springs when you dismantle the motor support.

walpurgis
13-01-2013, 00:14
My motto is 'nothing designed and made by another person, can't be taken apart and put back together (and maybe improved) by me'. Be confident and have a bash, if you are practical in nature, you won't go wrong, electric motors are pretty easy to work on as a rule.

wiicrackpot
13-01-2013, 07:59
Thanks guys, looked into the link and am sure i could do it. :)