PDA

View Full Version : Sponsors Wanted Please... Fatty Needs Help!

Mike
14-03-2009, 19:05
I had my annual medical the other day as part of my 'blood pressure review', I do this every year as I suffer from high blood pressure.

Everything is up!... weight, blood pressure, BMI, and probably cholesterol too. But mostly my weight.

It's official. I'm a bloater. A veritable 'I-ate-all-the-pies fat bastard' weighing in at 17st 2lb!!!

As I'm now in the 'high risk' category for some form of cardiovascular disease I obviously need to do something about this...

So, my idea is a sponsored diet with money raised going to charity. I don't want anyone to send me any cash or anything like that, just to pledge as much or as little as you like to the charity of your choice.

My target weight loss is a rather substantial 28 kilo's (we're all metric these days ;)) and I'll sponsor myself to the tune of £5 per kilo which I will donate to my own chosen charity which is - http://www.macmillan.org.uk/

The plan so far is to get on the scales on the first of each month and report here whats happened, for every kilo I lose I'll donate £5, and for every kilo I gain I'll donate £20!

I aim to do this with a regime of sensible healthy eating and regular exercise, no fancy 'fad diets' or nonsense like that, and I hope to get down to (or as close as possible) my recommended (by the Doc) weight of twelve and a half stone in one year.

So!... please join in and do some good for charity and help me to become less of a lard arse, I could use the added incentive. General words of encouragement and/or mockery will be much appreciated! :)

Cheers...

Start Weight = 109Kg (Doc's scales)

Start Weight = 103Kg (Own scales) 14th March 2009

*Edit* - I've added what I weigh on our own scales too, as they're the ones I'll be using regularly, and we'll use that as the start weight. I'll be able the check the final weight when I have my next 'annual' which will be in, err, 12 months! :lol:

Beechwoods
14-03-2009, 19:16
You're a brave man, Mike, so bloody good luck to you. There's nothing like putting your money where your mouth is :)

Can we have a before and after pic :) Obviously you can wear a balaclava to protect your online anonymity :eyebrows: :lol:

Mike
14-03-2009, 19:20
Can we have a before and after pic :) Obviously you can wear a balaclava to protect your online anonymity :eyebrows: :lol:

Yeah, when I've had a hair cut!

Anonymity my arse! :mental:

anthonyTD
14-03-2009, 19:52
hi mikey,.
okay, i'll pledge £50-00 to my designated charity, which is the red cross if you lose at least 20 kilo's how's that?
come on guys, lets all give mikey the support he needs, and by doing so we will be doing our bit for the charities that do so much good in these trying times.:)
regards,anthony,TD...

Marco
14-03-2009, 20:11
I'll match Anthony's donation of £50, and it'll also go to MacMillan. Del lost her mother to cancer in 2003, and the nurses were superb, so it's a charity close to our heart, too.

Go for it, Mikey :)

Marco.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
14-03-2009, 21:50
Hi Mike

I'll do the same and donate £50 to the Parkinson's Disease Society.

By the way Mike haven't I just seen you at the Cream Cake stall in Tesco's today :lol: Good luck in your efforts.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
14-03-2009, 22:40
Good show chaps! :)

Roll up, roll up... There's plenty of room for everybody! :exactly:

Spectral Morn
14-03-2009, 23:09
Hi Mike

I need to lose weight too..... I had a bit of a heath scare in late 2007 and I went on a diet. Basically I cut out bread, cut portions down, ate more fruit, tried hard to do more walking (do a fair bit anyway) and cut down on eating (my weakness) sweets. I lost weight over a relatively short period of a few months. However I slipped back into bad habits and not working has put the weight back on me. I don't drink or smoke.

So, I too, will on the basis of your example undertake from today to try to go back to good habits. I don't need to be sponsored to do it, I just need to do it.

I spend a lot of money regularly in charity shops buying books etc, but I will put £20 in the next charity shop I go into. No purchase will be made just a donation.

I tell you one of the happiest times in work, was when I worked for a year for a cancer charity here in NI called Action Cancer. This was very rewarding indeed. I was the charities Stock Collector.

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Mike
14-03-2009, 23:16
Nice one Neil! :)

P.S. I've added an 'edit' to the original post everyone.

Beechwoods
14-03-2009, 23:25
I'll make my donation to Listening Eye (http://www.whitestick.co.uk/listen.html), a volunteer staffed helpline offering support to people suffering from visual impairment, which can often be extremely distressing and isolating, especially for those living on their own.

It's interesting how your scales are already flattering you Mike, where did you get them from ;)

Spectral Morn
14-03-2009, 23:34
Maybe he wasn't wearing his shoes/boots ;)

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Beechwoods
14-03-2009, 23:36
Maybe it was the simple power of positive thinking!

Mike
14-03-2009, 23:38
It's interesting how your scales are already flattering you Mike, where did you get them from ;)

Or maybe I've already lost 6Kg :confused:

Then again, I bet at the end my own scales will still show a lower weight... They're just crappy bathroom scales rather than the fancy stuff at the Doc's surgery. ;)

Beechwoods
14-03-2009, 23:40
Or maybe I've already lost 6Kg :confused:

Like I said, the power of positive thinking :) You'll walk it. You kicked the cig's in the butt. Now to kick the butt, in the butt!

Mike
14-03-2009, 23:43
Hmmm... next Saturday I'm going out with the lads, it's for a guy at work's 40th. That'll put a big dent in that 6Kg!!! :lol: :doh:

Spectral Morn
15-03-2009, 00:00
Just smile and say no thanks....;)

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Mike
15-03-2009, 00:08
Just smile and say no thanks....;)

mmmmmm.... I think not.

I'm not going on some sort of 'torture diet', I'm going to allow myself an 'occasional pleasure' you know! It's just that each 'occasional pleasure' could cost me £20/Kg.... :eyebrows: That should keep me on my toes and make sure it doesn't happen very often! ;)

snapper
18-03-2009, 19:32
Just bought nine albums @ 49p each.

Gave the nice lady £30.00 and told her to keep the change.She was a bit bemused,so I told her your story and she wishes you the best of luck.

One of my friends lost his wife (43 and non smoker) to cancer 3 weeks ago,so the money was donated to Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Marco
18-03-2009, 21:10
Nice one, dude :)

Where's Mikey boy away to I wonder? He's been very quiet... :confused:

Marco.

Mike
18-03-2009, 21:20
Never far away... ;)

Marco
18-03-2009, 22:03
LOL. You've not been posting much, dude. Wotcha been up to? Have you done any more work on your T/T? :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-03-2009, 23:16
I will have to restart my diet......no will power....:doh: :lolsign:

Regards D S D L -----Neil :)

Mike
19-03-2009, 12:18
LOL. You've not been posting much, dude. Wotcha been up to? Have you done any more work on your T/T? :)

Marco.

Not yet... just gathering riches before the next foray.

Mike
01-04-2009, 20:50
Well it's the 1st of the month and time for my 'weigh in'.

Just hopped on the scales and...

99Kg - Thats 4Kg lost and £20 for Macmillan Cancer Support! :)

Beechwoods
01-04-2009, 20:55
Well done Mike!

Marco
01-04-2009, 21:25
Way hey, some boy! :clap:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
01-04-2009, 21:30
Good going Mike...well done.

I am afraid I am still in the paddock.

Sweets...ummmmm.:doh:

Regards D S D L

Mike
01-04-2009, 23:04
Thanks guys, it's not a huge amount but it's in the right direction. ;)

If I can average 2kg/month or thereabouts I'll be on target for my 12 month goal, the weight comes off easily to start with but it gets more difficult toward the end. Not a bad start though.

Cheers...

Haselsh1
02-04-2009, 08:02
My new partner Janet was diagnosed with breast cancer after screening in August last year. In September of last year she had an operation to remove the growth. She then had to have another operation to remove her lymph nodes. After that one, she's had to have six months of chemotherapy. Now she's in the middle of three weeks of intensive radiotherapy. What happens then I can only think about. You ask me for money...? I'll give fifty quid whether you do it or not...!!! And, it'll go to Macmillan if that's OK with everyone else.

Spectral Morn
02-04-2009, 10:07
Sorry to hear that Shaun. I hope everything goes well for Janet. Thanks for your generosity.

Regards Neil

Haselsh1
02-04-2009, 10:58
Davros thank you for your thoughts. There seems to be an amazing little hotspot for cancers here around Pickering and everyone locally blames Fylingdales. I guess we've gotta blame something...??? That place kicks out very high energy ionising radiation. It does make us think...

Spectral Morn
02-04-2009, 11:16
Not to mention all the other possibilities. Magnetic fields from power cables, Radion and other natural radiation sources in the ground. But it does beg the question with the world now saturated in RFI and other particles not natural whizzing through our bodies what is this doing to us.

If Ferrite rings help with audio what should we use ?

I truly hope for the best for Janet.

Regards Neil

Mike
03-05-2009, 09:49
Oops... a bit late for my weigh-in this month!

98Kg

Thats a loss of a single measly kilogramme. Rubbish! :steam:

I'm blaming my holiday (aka 'feeding frenzy') for that, must try harder.

Another £5 on it's way to Macmillan.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
03-05-2009, 10:03
Mike

At least the weight is falling and not increasing :) keep the effort up.

Andy - SDDW

spendorman
14-06-2009, 11:15
I am no expert on nutrition but a good friend of mine is a Professor of Nutrition, he knows his stuff. Some years ago Radio 4 got him to talk on the subject.

His advice is to have a good breakfast with a big bowl of porridge or muesli (low sugar type of course). Into that bowl some extra dried fruit nuts and a chopped banana and milk.

This is slow release food and will keep you going for ages without the need for snacks.

He says that most people don't eat enough green leafy vegetables. Oily fish is useful too.

Homemade soups are very good as again they will keep the stomach feeling full for longer than just food. Something to do with the way the stomach processes foods and liquids.

Oh I forgot, exercise of course. This friend practices what he preaches (well he doesn't really preach) he does cycle everywhere and is very healthy and trim.

Mike
03-08-2009, 20:31
I've not bothered looking for a while because the lack of progress was pissing me off.

So I thought I've better check and give an update.

95Kg fully clothed with a pocketful of change. And that's after a week off work stuffing me fat face and necking booze!

Still going down. But why don't I look or feel and different!?!? :scratch: :steam:

Oh well, must carry on... :confused:

Alex_UK
08-08-2009, 23:03
Hi Mike, was just checking your profile after reading the weight loss thread - I gave up smoking 3 stone ago, and am now trying to lose some of my 16st 8 lbs :-( Anyhow, we share the same birthday - 17th feb - though I'm a '69 model, anyway, another £50 pledged to McMillan Nurse from me to help you to your goal.

Mike
09-08-2009, 08:39
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the support, top man!

I know exactly what you mean about quiting smoking, after several stalled attempts, and many pies, I found myself a biscuit or so away from 17st. :doh:

Sub 15 now and another two and a half (or so) to go. I hope! :)

Cheers...

The Vinyl Adventure
09-08-2009, 09:45
£50 to the alzheimer's society - dad... good luck!! this is a really good idea

DaveK
09-08-2009, 10:57
Hi Mike,
I am ashamed to say that, when I first read the title of your initial post on this thread, my 'grumpy old man' reaction was, "Oh stop bleating and just get on with it!" - SORRY!
Don't know why but last night I got round to reading the entire thread - must have been bored :). Suffice it to say I am moved enough to contribute to the McMillan fund. I lost a lifelong friend (we started work together at the same place over 50 years ago) who died of bladder cancer a few years ago and the McMillan nurses did a great job in his final, painful, weeks.
My contribution will be £1 per Kg lost (but I don't want it back if you gain :lol: ), starting from day 1, so I owe something already - how much?
How do I pay, to you or direct to the fund - I thought that if I paid you it might be a little more encouragement for you and it would make it more difficult for me to forget - senior moments!! :lol:.
To Shaun all I can say is that I am not much one for praying but my thoughts are with you and your partner. Seems strange to talk about luck in these circumstances but I hope you get lucky, very lucky :) .
Cheers,

Mike
09-08-2009, 11:39
Hi Dave,

I'd rather people donated directly rather than send money to me, please. http://www.macmillan.org.uk/

I chose MacMillan because without their help my mother would have spent her last days in a hospice rather than at home. She passed away on the August bank holiday 2004 from pancreatic cancer, so five years this month.

The idea of this thread is as much to keep me 'at it' with my diet as it is to raise a few quid for charity, any charity. Anyone is free to chose whichever one they prefer.

Total loss so far is 8Kg, which is a bit behind schedule, so I need to get off my (still ample) arse and do more exercise TBH! I think I'd better get myself down to the local swimming baths regularly as well as walk the dog more oftern... Of course the sea is nearby too, but I'm a bit worried that if I go swimming there I might not get out again. I fear Greenpeace might try and push me back in again thinking I'm one of those large sea mammal things trying to beach itself! :doh:

Cheers... ;)

Rare Bird
21-10-2009, 13:27
Good going, god i've put loads on about 18.5 stone again, was 16 stone last year, i'm gonna have to cut the booze out.

Might sound sad but i pump donated money to animal cruelty instaed of human needs!I get on with pussies better than humans

Themis
17-12-2009, 20:09
A Mahnamahna to encourage you, Mike !!! :kiss:

YXrU1GFqYEU

goraman
03-03-2010, 02:16
look at the cabbage soup diet my wife lost 12 pounds in 7 days!
Do it for 1 week then just eat sensably and it's not so hard.
It's just a jump start to lose weight,It has totaly encouraged my wife,she put on some pounds after haveing our son and she has lost another 8 pounds since last month when she did the soup diet.
http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/

Just print the reicipe and the 7 day plan make some soup and fallow the plan.

It works fast as hell! the last 3 days the weight just dumps out!