PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New Delhi, India

virajsingh
09-01-2013, 13:49
Hi Guys,

My name is Viraj Singh and I am from New Delhi, India. I got introduced to the hi end audio equipment only in 2010, when I heard a EAR Acute > Bel Canto 500 > Usher Be718 setup at a friend's place and was left wondering how music could sound so good and involving. He also informed me about good quality tube gear and that is what one could aspire for if one had the cash.

Well I did finally get a tube amp, a 845 SET amp made by a local audio designer in New Delhi, Mr. Viran Bakshi of Lyrita Audio ( www.lyrita-audio.in )...I also bought his high sensitivity Amity speakers (which have a 6" Fostex full range driver and a 12" woofer in a back ported cabinet) and his phono stage.

Over time my equipment list has grown .... source is 840C CD Player from Cambridge Audio and a Technics 1210MK2 TT with Audio Technica 440Mla MM Cartridge....Amps are 840A from Cambridge Audio and Lyrita 845 SET Amp...speakers are Lyrita Amity and a DIY Fostex FE 203En-S full range driver in a back loaded horn.

My taste in Music is primarily rock from the 60-80s, western classical music as well as Indian classical, old film music and ghazals....

I would like to move up the food chain and hope to benefit from the advice of senior and more experienced members on AoS... Currently my wishlist includes an EAR preamp and a pair of Harbeth stand mounted speakers (M30/M30.1 or SHL5)...

I am traveling to London and Birmingham later this month (January 2013) and I hope to get lucky in finding a good bargain on a pre amp...Would appreciate your recommendations on what all should be looking out for.

Well that's me musically...Cheers and Happy New Year to all of you.
Viraj Singh

Tarzan
09-01-2013, 17:57
Welcome Viraj- Croft pre-amps simples for value for money.:)

TBL
09-01-2013, 17:57
Hi Viraj

Welcome to AOS I am a great fan of Viran's amplifiers and I did enquire about buying an 845 set some while back, sadly Viran was not set up to export to the UK so nothing came of it.

I can heartily recommend the Harbeth range of speakers, you might also like to consider Audio Note AN/E as well.

Good luck on your visit and hunt for a pre-amp. (have you not considered the Lyrita Pre?)

Regards

Ian

sidmini
09-01-2013, 18:25
Nice to see a high end audio store in India! fantastic..well there is a lot of money over there at the moment. Are there any good stores in Mumbai?

John
09-01-2013, 19:10
Hi Viraj

Welcome to AOS
I would also recommend the croft preamps
Thanks for the website link

daytona600
09-01-2013, 21:05
welcome to Aos viraj , another +1 for a croft preamp on your uk visit
back at home rethm in india make some superb valve amps & horns , use a pair myself
www.rethm.com

virajsingh
10-01-2013, 08:40
Thank you all for such a warm welcome and for your recommendations to help me in my search for a pre amp...I will surely check out the croft pre amp on the net and read up on them.

@TBL (Ian) - Viren's equipment is indeed very very good value for money...I got my 845 SET integrated for about 2 years ago for about 930 Pounds (Indian Rs 65,000/-). I have indeed contemplated getting Viren's DHT Pre amp as it sounds great and is also very affordable .... I would also like to try out some legendary classic hifi equipment from the UK especially the EAR, which I have heard so much about

@sidmini - not sure if there are any hi end audio designers in Mumbai, there is cadence in Pune (http://www.cadenceaudio.com/) which is quite close to mumbai ...for those of you interested in checking out the audiophile scene in India I would recommend the site www.hifivision.com ...

Cheers Viraj