PDA

View Full Version : DIY bi-wire speaker links

symon
14-03-2009, 18:46
I have discovered that I can't bi-wire out of my Quad 405 (speaker cable is too thick for the holes on the power amp). So, I need to make my speakers work without bi-wiring. Which is fine, but I don't have any links for teh speakers to overcome the bi-wire bit.

What can I use to bodge this for now until I can get some decent links?

symon
14-03-2009, 18:56
I really must learn to read before posting.
I've found suggestions that speaker cable will do the job perfectly well. But, how would I do this?

leo
14-03-2009, 19:43
Can't you use short pieces of cable (few inch) connecting HF to LF with the cable clamped under the speakers binding posts and use the non bi-wire cable from the Quad connected to the speakers using banana plugs if that makes sense

symon
14-03-2009, 20:02
Yes, it does Leo. The thing I couldn't picture was how to use the wire to connect the posts. I think I've got it now.

freddiecas
14-03-2009, 22:22
if the problem is the Quad has just 4mm sockets you can get stackable 4mm plugs to run 2 sets of cables from the amp outputs?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1442&C=Froogle&U=1442&T=Alias&MA=4mm%20banana%20plugs

foxysounds
14-03-2009, 23:38
Or would these be any good?
http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/view/313/ixos-204-banana-plugs
Each plug has both rear and side entry points but I can't tell from the description whether both can be used at the same time. If they can then this would be really useful for me too.

Anyone come across these before and know the answer?

Simon.

foxysounds
14-03-2009, 23:51
Or would these be any good?
http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/view/313/ixos-204-banana-plugs
Each plug has both rear and side entry points but I can't tell from the description whether both can be used at the same time. If they can then this would be really useful for me too.

Anyone come across these before and know the answer?

Simon.

Actually, now I look at these again, I think they're stackable. It looks like you fit the cable into the side of the plug and then if you want to you can plug another banana plug into the back of the first one.

Simon.

symon
14-03-2009, 23:51
The Quad 405 I have has push button connectors, so I don't think banana plugs are the answer.
I have tried to use speaker cable as links, but I must be doing something wrong. as it doesn't sound right yet.

freddiecas
15-03-2009, 23:38
Actually, now I look at these again, I think they're stackable. It looks like you fit the cable into the side of the plug and then if you want to you can plug another banana plug into the back of the first one.

Simon.

the problem with these is a live plug sticks out the side of the inserted plug, if the sockets are very close together the 2 plugs could rotate so that speaker + and - could touch shorting out the amp. If you look at the pic in my post above the second plug goes in the end of the first plug so that situation could not happen and everything stays insulated.

freddiecas
15-03-2009, 23:39
The Quad 405 I have has push button connectors, so I don't think banana plugs are the answer.
I have tried to use speaker cable as links, but I must be doing something wrong. as it doesn't sound right yet.

it depends on the series, Some Quad 405s had 4mm (banana) sockets for the speaker outs.

symon
16-03-2009, 00:35
The answer to diy bi wiring was speaker cable between the posts on the speaker itself. Seems to work just fine.

Thanks all for your help. Food for thought for improvements down the line.

foxysounds
16-03-2009, 13:29
the problem with these is a live plug sticks out the side of the inserted plug, if the sockets are very close together the 2 plugs could rotate so that speaker + and - could touch shorting out the amp. If you look at the pic in my post above the second plug goes in the end of the first plug so that situation could not happen and everything stays insulated.
The outside of the banana plug should be the ground connection so if they touched it shouldn't matter that much. You could always put a bit of tape around them.

The ones in your link don't look like they've been built with audio quality in mind :(

Simon.

freddiecas
17-03-2009, 09:45
The outside of the banana plug should be the ground connection so if they touched it shouldn't matter that much.

outside ground??
one banana plug is ground but the other is speaker hot, and the sockets on old Quads are so close together it is quite possible to short out with side inserted plugs.

Ali Tait
17-03-2009, 11:41
Are you thinking of an interconnect phono? :scratch:

foxysounds
17-03-2009, 12:11
Are you thinking of an interconnect phono? :scratch:
Oops! Yes I was. Sorry! :doh:

Simon.