PDA

View Full Version : Peachtree DAT.iT

ReggieB
07-01-2013, 21:41
I've been looking around for a new DAC to replace my Musical Fidelity V-DAC (original version). I was thinking about pushing the boat out and trying either an Audiolab MDAC or a Rega DAC. I was also considering staying with Musical Fidelity and upgrading to the M1.

Then I came across some reviews of the Peachtree DAC.IT (here (http://www.stereophile.com/content/peachtree-dac149it-da-converter) and here (http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?133568-Entry-Level-DAC-Comparison-Results) for example). It turned out that AudioAffair (http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Peachtree-Audio-DAC-IT/product_6173) had an ex-demo one, and I couldn't resist. It arrived today, and I'm having the pleasure of listening to it now.

The DAC is a more substantial unit than the V-DAC. it has a very solid feel to it. As one of the reviews states, it looks and feels like the original Mac Mini. However, the power supply is a crappy little wall plug unit.

I am using it as the DAC for both my TEAC VRDS 7 (coax input) and an ASUS netbook (one of the originals with the 2Gb solid state hard drive, playing music from a NAS box - connected via USB). The peachtree has a remote control, so I can switch between sources without my fat arse leaving the settee.

First track on was "The choir of young believers" 'Hollow talk', which was the theme music to 'The Bridge' Danish crime series, played on the CD player. I was immediately struck by the extra detail. However, the sound seemed a little thin.

I switched to USB and the 'Angus and Julia Stone' album 'A book like this'. The subtly of tone with Julia's singing in the 'Hollywood' track was wonderful. Compared to the V-DAC, everything seemed finer detailed, as though it had been painted with a thinner brush. Switching back to the VDAC, it feels less like the Peachtree is thin, but more that the VDAC is bloated in comparison.

I thought I'd try something with some alternative background sounds. On went 'The Art of Noise' 'Ambient Collection'. This has all sorts of things going on in the background - particularly in the transitions between tracks. With the Peachtree, they sound so much more natural and detailed. I swear I can hear the sound of change in someone's pocket as they climb stairs at the end of 'Opus of 4'. Before it has just been footsteps climbing stairs.

I've now moved on to Verdi's 'Simon Boccanegra' (Claudio Abbado). This is just fabulous. Such a live sound. So much expressiveness in the voices. Even out breaths seem to have more expression.

As I'm listening I'm finding myself increasing the volume. With the V-DAC, this wasn't always a pleasant experience. There is a sheen that becomes more apparent with extra volume. With the Peachtree, the music seems to fill out more. I'm not one for playing music very loud, but whereas I usually listen with my Audiolab 8000S volume knob at 9 O'clock, I'm now at about 10 O'Clock and my KEF iQ 30s are singing beautifully.

One of by best musical experiences of recent years, was listening to 'The Sixteen' sing at Hereford Cathedral last year. Switching to their album, 'Great British Choral Works', and I'm back in the pews with a smile on my face.

So at the moment I am feeling very pleased with my purchase. Over the next couple of nights I'll play some more - do some straight comparisons between CDs and their ripped flac equivalents. But for now, I'm happy just to work through some favourite albums and enjoy myself.

ReggieB
02-08-2014, 13:59
I've recently upgraded the power supply for my DAC-IT with a Regulated Linear Power Supply from MCRU (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/linear-power-supply-selector/525-regulated-linear-power-supply-selector.html#/colour-silver/select_your_item-peachtree_dac_it). It has been a very worthwhile upgrade. Everything sounds just that little bit tighter. I think spacial representation is the biggest benefit. Each instrument and singer seems to be more solidly positioned within the sound stage. Wonderful stuff!