PDA

View Full Version : Water for cleaning?

alcarmichael
04-01-2013, 17:13
I've got an Okki Nokki on the way; I've ordered my 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and some Ilford's Ilfotol photographic wetting agent. What type of water do I need? Distilled, de-ionised or purified? Or does it not really matter and they're all pretty much the same thing?

Mike g
04-01-2013, 18:06
Distilled- it's what Okki Nokki recommend (just bought one myself) and will ensure that there is no crud left behind. If you are using IPA you will also need a couple of drops of fairy liquid etc as a wetting agent.

If you can't get distilled water locally (I couldn't much to my annoyance) try http://apcpure.com/products.php?product=27 I just ordered some from them and arrived next day (got 5 litres to keep me going).

Canetoad
05-01-2013, 13:21
How much wetting agent (fairy liquid) by volume should be used? How many drops per Litre?

The Grand Wazoo
05-01-2013, 13:25
Oh, about two.

Barry
05-01-2013, 17:12
You can get distilled water from your local hardware shop (it is used in steam irons) or perhaps from your local car accessory outlet (used to top-up car batteries, though modern ones are sealed).

Photographic wetting agent is preferable to washing up liquid, as the latter contains salt.

alcarmichael
05-01-2013, 18:01
I know Halfords sell de ionised water. Sounds like I need distilled though

I have ordered the photgrophic wetting agent.

Barry
05-01-2013, 18:05
I know Halfords sell de ionised water. Sounds like I need distilled though

I have ordered the photgraphic wetting agent.

I wouldn't worry whether the water is distilled or de-ionised; it makes little difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Water

Haselsh1
05-01-2013, 22:46
Washing up liquid also contains a lot of glycerol which would definitely leave a deposit on your precious vinyl. Deionised water is water that has been passed through a deioniser rather than boiled and condensed. It has very little in it in the way of impurities.

Rare Bird
05-01-2013, 22:50
S'ok Shaun i deleted my posts on the subject becuase a certain person thought they Knew better. I would'nt use washing up liquid if it was the last thing.

Haselsh1
05-01-2013, 22:53
Andre you are so right. Washing up liquid is far from being just surfactants. It contains all kinds of shit for making your hands nice and soft. Also, Propan-2-ol is definitely not to come into contact with your stylus according to manufacturers. It dissolves the glue that holds the diamond in place or so I was told many years ago.

Rare Bird
05-01-2013, 22:57
I use this

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-photo-flo-16oz-470ml-592-p.asp

Haselsh1
05-01-2013, 23:01
What a fine place to buy REAL photography

walpurgis
06-01-2013, 00:11
Pure detergent is what you need as a wetting agent.

Only tiny amounts are needed to break the water surface tension. Pressure washer degreasing agents work well and if you can find 'Golden Drops' detergent general cleaner that is good too. There are many commercial products that fit the bill also and they are cheap, but tend to come in larger volumes. If you visit £1 shops, the yellow squirt bottle kitchen degreaser is basically pure detergent too.

Rare Bird
06-01-2013, 00:17
That stuff i ointed out is about a fiver a bottle, a few drops is way cheap enough

Audioman
06-01-2013, 10:18
'Battery' water is not good enough. Should use purified water (medical grade). Your local chemist is your friend here. 5 litre bottles work out fairly cheaply. If buying an Okki Nokki mix with supplied concentrate. This does a very good job and doesn't leave a deposit like L'art du Son etc. You can then experiment with other products or home made solutions.

Mike g
06-01-2013, 10:51
As an alternative to messing out with washing up liquid you could just use okki nokki cleaner- £7.99 for 50 ml and add to 1 litre distilled water. I then put about 100ml of IPA in to help cut thru any crud which is hard to shift- get the best of both worlds. The bottle it comes in is also useful for applying the cleaner to the record- if you fill it up then it is an eat to use wee bottle which can put a few drops on at a time.

I've used the above mix for the last few days since I got my ON- seems to be working very well and when I spoke to the ON importer who cleans lots and lots of records he recommended TV above mix.

Haselsh1
06-01-2013, 11:02
Degreasing agents contain d-Limonene which may well damage your vinyl. Wetting agents only contain surfactants which certainly won't.

walpurgis
07-01-2013, 00:23
I then put about 100ml of IPA in to help cut thru any crud which is hard to shift- get the best of both worlds.

Remind me, IPA is a beer is it not?

Barry
07-01-2013, 00:40
'Battery' water is not good enough. Should use purified water (medical grade). Your local chemist is your friend here. 5 litre bottles work out fairly cheaply. If buying an Okki Nokki mix with supplied concentrate. This does a very good job and doesn't leave a deposit like L'art du Son etc. You can then experiment with other products or home made solutions.

Which grade is that? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Water

Also what mix of IPA to water do members use? I have seen ratios varying from 50:50 to 90:10 IPA/water.

tommy6206
07-01-2013, 12:51
I use a 75/25 mix of distilled water £3.99 5lts from Halfords and IPA 99.999% around £10 5lts from the bay and a few drops of fairy liquid per 4ltr mix. As this is normally a one off clean its more than good enough..
I have even use hot soapy water and the RCM for really grubby ones and they come up like new.
As I say its normally a one off thing so no build up of minerals and all the other crap you hear about..

alcarmichael
08-01-2013, 09:27
I've managed to get myself some purified water. I'm assuming this will be perfectly suitable?

Beechwoods
08-01-2013, 11:00
That's what I use. It has all the minerals etc removed and so should leave the least residue when dried.

trio leo
08-01-2013, 11:33
I got some purified water from my local chemist, it was cheap enough, though I believe you can buy super purified water, ( the name eludes me) from an aquarium shop.

Must get me an O-N

regards Al