PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Amp - Hiss in left channel

RobbieGong
01-01-2013, 19:27
I picked a big Technics SU VX800 integrated amp recently to replace one I'd had which went into protection mode (Still being looked at) Anyway, this one is in fantastic spotless conditon so I'm well pleased to have nabbed it. Only thing is I've noticed an occasional hiss / buzz like interferance coming from the left channel speaker. Really dont want this one to fail, It' a great amp - What might it be ?? (Go gently now, no frightening me to death :eek: :lol: )

Dominic Harper
01-01-2013, 19:30
cheap first option would be to clean all switches and pots with spray contact cleaner.

chris@panteg
01-01-2013, 19:32
Servisol ?

walpurgis
03-01-2013, 16:54
My often stated warning. Be careful with Servisol and the like. Such cleaners can dissolve some plastics, so test it on a small area of any plastics it may come into contact with.

Mr Kipling
03-01-2013, 17:56
Do you get "Boo" out the right channel and "It's Behind You" from the rears?

jamesie
20-02-2013, 19:13
try a ground wire from the source to the amp ,, sometimes helps;)

nat8808
02-03-2013, 22:18
Do you get "Boo" out the right channel and "It's Behind You" from the rears?

:lol:

I think the left channel is just vocal about your taste in music.

nat8808
02-03-2013, 22:27
What is the "Adapter" connection on the back? Is it a pre/power separation thing via the button on the front but by another weird name? ?

If so, perhaps you could test whether it's the power section or the pre-section that is causing the noise?

If you could plug another pre-amp (or cd player with volume control or an iPod with volume control) into the adapter 'IN' and drive the power section from that instead, you would see if the noise is still there.

Obviously check what that "Adapter" business does first..

P.S. Here are some photos of one so that people know what I'm talking about:

http://www.hifi-leipzig.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p269_Technics-SU-VX800-Vollverstaerker-Bolide-mit-XLR.html

P.P.S

What is the Direct Drive about? Driving a sub or two for example at line level? Or amp in another room? Handy little feature, especially with balanced output.

istari_knight
02-03-2013, 22:40
Unfortunately I think the adapter sockets are a line level "loop through" for graphic equalizer's etc... At least they are on my Technics preamp.

This hiss/buzz could be all manner of things, have you tried using a different set of phono cables ? Also, if it has a mono switch try leaving that engaged then if the hiss/buzz comes from both channels its likely the preamp or if its still just the left then its likely the power amp.

Mr Kipling
02-03-2013, 23:13
:lol:

I think the left channel is just vocal about your taste in music.

Don't know what you mean, Nat. I listen to allsorts: rock/pop/r&b/indie/soul/jazz/easy listening/country/folk/ska/some classical/soundtracks/comedy.

Here's a classic for you. Great for zipping around the house to tomorrow dinner time:

FG-ZO26pnE8

It's all music. There's just good and bad.

nat8808
03-03-2013, 01:50
Don't know what you mean, Nat. I listen to allsorts: rock/pop/r&b/indie/soul/jazz/country/folk/some classical/soundtracks/comedy.
Here's a classic for you. Great for zipping around the house to tomorrow dinner time:

FG-ZO26pnE8

If you really like that (not sure if it was sarcasm - I do like it !) you should check out Trunk Records http://www.trunkrecords.com/intro.shtml and listen to Resonance FM's OST show on a Saturday afternoon plus a repeat during the week sometime:

www.resonancefm.com

Mr Kipling
03-03-2013, 10:39
What do you mean "If" I really like it? Nat! Nat! Nat! (Nat!). I am wounded! Of course I like it! Who doesn't? Classic soundtrack. A George Martin production, if I'm not mistaken. Like I say I listen to allsorts.

Here's another favourite.

Must go. Time for The Archers. I can see trouble brewing with Tom Archer facing conflict over his sausage-making enterprise and helping with milking after Tony's (his dad) recent heart attack scare.

P.S.
That's not to say that I'm not prone to sarcasm, Nat (!).nCsYKzoPQfU