PDA

View Full Version : Genesis 180grm vinyl issues for 2013

Rare Bird
01-01-2013, 00:55
Pre-order em today chaps, estimated release 18th Feb, 2013.

:yay:

Thing Fish
01-01-2013, 01:00
Think i'll wait and see if there are any issues with quality first.

Unless Amazon makes a another mistake with the price.

Sonority
01-01-2013, 11:33
I wonder if they may be the same as the ones from the (now unavailable) box set - ie the set minus the box..
I cant see them re-mastering yet again.
Why cant they let someone master and engineer the pressings that really knows what that should be like? Surely there is more than Steve Wilson that can do this?

prestonchipfryer
01-01-2013, 11:38
Pre-order em today chaps, estimated release 18th Feb, 2013.

GENLPY1: Tresspass
GENLPY2: Nursery Cryme
GENLPY3: Foxtrot
GENLPY4: Selling England By The Pound
GENLPY5: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

:yay:

Cheers for the reminder. But not Wind and Wuthering? or is that coming later, I wonder. :)

DSJR
01-01-2013, 11:44
Why not stick with the well remastered CD issues from ten or so years ago - the non-remixed ones?

Just 'cos it's on heavy vinyl and probably cut from digital sources (or re-doctored D-A ones) is daft IMO. Why add loads of extra losses in the cutting and pressing "just" to get it on vinyl? genesis LP's have VERY long sides. If you MUST bring out a vinyl one, why not do each track at 45 and do it properly over a few 12" 45's?

Rare Bird
01-01-2013, 11:51
Dave: some of use can't stand CD ;) i have piles of the best Japanese CD's but still hate em. I prefer Vinyl, These are most welcome in my collection..

Sonority
01-01-2013, 11:56
Wind & Wuthering (along with Trick) was just released in the latest box set - so it will not be long before it is also made available at a guess.

DSJR
01-01-2013, 11:58
I have a mate who's a huge Genesis fan with all early LP's bought at the time. There was no bass on these and the remastered CD's I refer to had this bass restored, giving far more scale to the sounds I thought. Virgin (Charisma) never had the earliest generation analogue masters anyway, the band did, and the remastering came from these better masters I understand.

I still don't know why some of you chaps have issues with CD reproduction, sorry... Maybe I'm just lucky to have a really good player that gives me everything a top vinyl source gives me and more besides on a decent mastering..... Neither of my main speakers lack treble either, but they do have well designed crossovers with no obvious phase-harshness up top. Maybe that's what it is? :scratch:

Audioman
01-01-2013, 12:00
Are these all analogue or taken from the widely disliked digital remixes of a few years ago? I have all these (except Tresspass) on the OOP Classic Records reissues which sound superb and lacking the surface noise of original Charisma pressings.

BTW the 2008 digital mixes have already been out on vinyl so these should be something different or aren't a new release. I see Dave at least liked the new mixes - they got a panning on Hoffman Forum when the CD/vinyl box sets were originaly released. Though digital on vinyl can be good I try to avoid if at all possible. In most cases it looses something against the best original pressings. New all analogue vinyl is pretty special when done right as the recent Pink Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Fog On The Tyne and Forever Changes show.

Mike - H
01-01-2013, 12:28
Strange! I have all the original vinyls, and have never noticed any of the mentioned problems, lack of bass or surface noise. I have CDs of Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme and still prefer the vinyl. Will have to go and listen, I could be gone some time :D

prestonchipfryer
01-01-2013, 14:18
Sometimes I have to have it, whether vinyl or digital. IYKWIM.

Bazil
01-01-2013, 14:53
Cheers for the reminder. But not Wind and Wuthering? or is that coming later, I wonder. :)

Maybe its just the Peter Gabriel era

prestonchipfryer
01-01-2013, 15:03
Maybe its just the Peter Gabriel era

Saw Genesis (Gabriel) in Bournemouth Winter Gardens, early 1970s. Made a lasting impression on me. :)

Mike - H
01-01-2013, 15:14
First went to see Genesis when they were the support band with Lindisfarne :eek: Saw them many times after that, my best mate did his ACL in playing football one Sat. afternoon, went to a Genesis concert at the Opera house in Manchester before going to A&E :mental:

Mike

Rare Bird
02-01-2013, 16:18
I still don't know why some of you chaps have issues with CD reproduction, sorry... Maybe I'm just lucky to have a really good player that gives me everything a top vinyl source gives me and more besides on a decent mastering..... Neither of my main speakers lack treble either, but they do have well designed crossovers with no obvious phase-harshness up top. Maybe that's what it is? :scratch:

Just put it down to you being a bit def :D Joking aside i can't stand CD anymore period regardless of what it maybe, but i do find Digital Remasters good on Vinyl. Im missed out on the last Genesis '1970-75' box set so you can imagine how excited i was when i saw these for sale :)

I'll probably be selling off my Jap CDee's at some point, well when ive located new Vinyl reissues to replace em that is..

DSJR
02-01-2013, 17:44
Are you happy that these vinyls may be from remixed masters (better sound I'm sure but not the same as original)?

Give us first refusal on the CD's should you sell 'em as my few are mostly from original CD issue and not always very good...

Rare Bird
04-01-2013, 22:26
Emerson, Lake & Palmer are the best prog outfit easily IMHO :eyebrows: but i like Gabes Genesis a lot, exceptional.

Rare Bird
09-03-2013, 15:51
'Trespass' arrived today, good quality heavy vinyl, the cover quality is good & has the card insert. Only thing that puzzles me is why they used the Pink Hatter label, whats the logic in re-issuing a re-issued label!!

Audioman
09-03-2013, 16:10
'Trespass' arrived today, good quality heavy vinyl, the cover quality is good & has the card insert. Only thing that puzzles me is why they used the Pink Hatter label, whats the logic in re-issuing a re-issued label!!

Lack of attention to detail. Unforgivable considering the recent Fog On The Tyne reissue used pink scroll labels. Another problem with these is they are digital remixes. I recommend seeking out Classic Records reissues except Trespass which they didn't do. Mind they used blue hatter labels on the earlier titles!

Rare Bird
09-03-2013, 18:36
I'm aware they are 2008 jobbies but the Pink hatters i already have sound horrid.How can they not sound better in comparison?

daytona600
09-03-2013, 20:07
Emerson, Lake & Palmer are the best prog outfit easily IMHO :eyebrows: but i like Gabes Genesis a lot, exceptional.

genesis box set 76-82 on vinyl is still available if you know the right people
not played the new 180g genesis versions yet so can,t comment on sound quality

ELP alert super limited 5xlp picture disc box set of first 5 albums out in april in the states
have two on order

The first 5 ELP albums– Emerson Lake & Palmer, Tarkus, Pictures At An Expedition, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery – all picture discs – in a 5LP box set! (Limited edition indie store exclusive for Record Store Day 2013. Numbered edition of 1250.)

Rare Bird
09-03-2013, 20:08
I know about the ELP.

Don't do Genesis Post Gabriel :eyebrows:

daytona600
09-03-2013, 20:12
have two of the elp box sets spare if you want one rarebird

AlfaGTV
11-03-2013, 08:09
genesis box set 76-82 on vinyl is still available if you know the right people
not played the new 180g genesis versions yet so can,t comment on sound quality

I have both of the box sets, 70-75 issued by Rhino/Atlantic a couple of years ago and then the new one released 2013; 76-82 which does not hold the same quality as the first one. (Cant remember issuer?)
The sound quality on the later box is quite OK, but a little 'digital' to my ears. The Rhino box sounds beautiful though!

Not all reissues are bad though, have two copies of Three Sides Live on vinyl and then the digital remaster from 2008 on harddrive. The digital remaster stomps all over the vinyl issue. (there is NO bass on the live tracks on my swedish issues..)

Regards
/Mike

Rare Bird
11-03-2013, 11:49

Hi Scott

How you going to manage that they arnt out till late next month are they? :scratch:

daytona600
11-03-2013, 18:17
RSD record store usa releases andre , have them on pre-order
have pre-orders up to oct this year , 2x200g 45rpm amused to death anyone
sell lots of new vinyl if you need any

Haselsh1
11-03-2013, 18:31
Genesis post Gabriel...? Was there such a thing...? Sorry I thought it was a Phil Collins Genesis tribute band.

:eyebrows:

sparrow
11-03-2013, 21:29
I love the early Genesis albums but equally what came after..Wind & Wuthering being my fave Genesis album of them all. :ner:

Rare Bird
11-03-2013, 21:35
:nocomment:

sparrow
12-03-2013, 11:07
:nocomment:

:eyebrows:

Rare Bird
21-03-2013, 14:33
I can't understand why 'Selling England By The Pound' keeps getting put back!! flaming early May now :steam:

Bazil
21-03-2013, 15:15

How much do they retail for ?

daytona600
22-03-2013, 04:09
£ 25 for selling england by the pound 180g
not may , mine are due 5th of april pre-order
+ sacd/dvd version if required

£ 110 for the ELP 5box picture disc , all sold out already
just one free one left , most are bought by collectors
due 22nd april

patricia Barber - Nightclub 2 x 180g £ 37
captain Beefheart - Safe as milk 2 x Lp £ 21
jeff Beck - Ther and back 180g £ 17
Bloodhound gang - one fierce beer coaster 180g £ 18
david Bowie - Heathen 180g £ 16

kate Bush - 50 words for snow 2 x 180g £ 19
kate Bush - the directors cut 2 x 180g £ 19
jeff Beck - jeff becks guitar shop 180g £ 19
anne Bisson - Blue mind £ 25
anne Bisson - Portraits & perfumes 180g £ 19

art Blakey & the jazz messengers - A night in tunisia 180g £ 17
jeff Buckley - Grace 180g £ 17
jeff Buckley - Grace 5 x lp box set £ 36
jeff Buckley - Mystery white boy 2 x Lp £ 21
tim Buckley - tim Buckley 180g £ 17

Burning spear - Marcus garvey 2 x Lp + dub lp £ 21
dave Brubeck - Time out 180g £ 17
miles Davies - Live in europe 1969 bootleg series two 4 x lp box set £ 40
miles Davies - Bootleg series 1 europe 1967 5 x Lp box set £ 60
brian Eno & david Byrne - my life in the bush of ghosts 180g £ 19
JJ Cale - Collected 3 x Lp £ 32

stanley Clarke - School days 180g £ 19
Clash - Clash + 7inch single £ 19
Clash - London calling 2 x Lp £ 20
Cypress Hill - Black sunday 2 x 180g £ 20
Cypress Hill - Cypress hill 2 x 180g £ 20
Cypress Hill - IV 2 x 180g £ 20
Cypress Hill - Temples of boom 2 x 180g £ 20
donald Fagen - Morph the cat 2 x 180g £ 20
donald Fagan - the Nightfly 180g £ 18

Dr john - Dr johns gumbo £ 18
Dead can dance - the Serpents egg 180g £ 18
dave Gilmour - Arnold lane with bowie 10inch single £ 7
Gladiator - OST soundtrack 2 x 180g 45rpm £ 50
al Green - Lets stay together 180g £ 15

Jazz at the pawn shop - 2 x 180g £ 37
King crimson - in the court of the crimson king 200g £ 23
Led Zeppelin - the song remains the same 4 x 180g box set £ 42
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One more for the road 2 x 180g £ 28
robert Plant & allison Krauss - Raising sands 180g £ 15

Metallica - Ride the lightning 180g £ 16
Metallica - Metallica ( black album ) 4 x 180g 45rpm box set £ 43
Metallica - Master of puppets 180g £ 16
Queens of the stone age - queens of the stone age 2 x 180g £ 19
Queensryche - the warning £ 21

Spirit - Spirit 180g £ 19
Steely Dan - Gaucho 180g £ 19
Steeley Dan - Aja 180g £ 25
Traffic - the low spark of high heeled boys 180g £ 16

Yes - Relayer 180g £ 19
Yes - Going for the one 180g Blue vinyl £ 23
Yes - Tales from topographic oceans 2 x 180g £ 25
Yes - Time and a word 180g £ 19
Yes - Close to the edge 180g £ 21
Yes - 90125 180g £ 21
Yes - the Yes album £ 15

MartinT
22-03-2013, 08:01
Regarding the Gabriel/Genesis era, I do agree that the Gabriel period Genesis is one of the peaks of the prog era. However, there are two exceptions to that:

Seconds Out is one of the best live albums ever made (have you listened to the live versions of The Cinema Show and The Carpet Crawlers?)
A Trick of the Tail - simply fabulous songs and exceptional recording that delivers a powerful blow to heart and mind. Dance on a Volcano alone is demonstration quality and a really interesting song.

AlfaGTV
22-03-2013, 08:06
+1 to those MartinT
//Mike

Rare Bird
22-03-2013, 13:45
What label/cat No is the YES 'Topographics', 'TheYes Album' & 'Time & A Word'? & the Spirit LP?

I personally so absolutly no use for the ELP box set except for just for the sake of collecting.

Bazil
22-03-2013, 19:03
Regarding the Gabriel/Genesis era, I do agree that the Gabriel period Genesis is one of the peaks of the prog era. However, there are two exceptions to that:

Seconds Out is one of the best live albums ever made (have you listened to the live versions of The Cinema Show and The Carpet Crawlers?)
A Trick of the Tail - simply fabulous songs and exceptional recording that delivers a powerful blow to heart and mind. Dance on a Volcano alone is demonstration quality and a really interesting song.

I would add Wind And Wuthering to those two Martin, then Steve Hackett left and it became the Phil Collins Show :(

Rare Bird
22-03-2013, 19:14
Yeh 'W+W' is really the last i can take :lol: However i though Steve Hackett's 'Voyage Of The Acolyte' was ok.. Mike Rutherford & Phil Collins are on the album anywayz loike.

Bazil
22-03-2013, 22:24
Yeh 'W+W' is really the last i can take :lol: However i though Steve Hackett's 'Voyage Of The Acolyte' was ok.. Mike Rutherford & Phil Collins are on the album anywayz loike.

If only PG had been on it :D

Spectral Morn
22-03-2013, 22:35
I love the early Genesis albums but equally what came after..Wind & Wuthering being my fave Genesis album of them all. :ner:

Trick of The Tail for me, my fave Genesis album :sofa:

Stratmangler
22-03-2013, 22:40

Same for me, however I do remember the sense of anticipation/trepidation on the day of release - could they recover from PG's departure or not.

IMO a resounding success :)

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 00:28

Ive had a drink but i'll be back too morrow :lol:

Bazil
23-03-2013, 09:22

Its a very good album and we all have our favorites but Genesis without PG is just not a (proper) Genesis album, its like Queen without Freddie, The Stones without Jagger, all IMO of course :D

Now if you had said Selling England, I have bought you a drink but you didn't so :ner:

MartinT
23-03-2013, 09:39
Selling England is definitely mine. Where should I go for that drink? ;)

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 10:04

Ok i'm back

Um 'Trick Of The Tail' You know Phil Collins was an exceptional Drummer but his Drum rolls get up my back at times :eyebrows:

Trk.1 ''Dance On A Volcano''.. Is a agood trk but Drum Rolls Philip :steam: So good technical Brand X type drumming is always good.Has a lot of good prog moves in it it like constant time changes & all that stuuf.

Trk.2 ''Entangled'' - is a loverly track, think Tony Banks shows some great Mellotron work here..

Trk.3: Love the way this track quickly switches from 'Entangled'..Anyhoots ''Squonk' Phil no no no not those Tom Toms again :doh: It's an ok track but i don't like the sound Peter Banks creates, it's very Genesis sound to come.

Trk.4: ''Mad Man Moon'' - I like this track a lot, reminds me a bit of ''More Fool Me'' in places...

Trk.5: "Robbery, Assault & Battery" - I don't like the feel of the beginning of this track, Phils Cockney Accent is funny tho, i laugh when i hear him doing it live..The track quickly picks up..love the technical drumming half way thru, around the Tony Banks solo & there after, absolutly fantastic Drumming + Mellotron work. Well i never fancy using the 'B' wurd Phil :D

Trk.6 "Ripples..." - Love the 12 string Guitar work, reminds me a bit of 'Trespass' LP..All in all another loverly track..Paticuly like Tony's Synth work as always good.But Phil just had to throw in a couple of thos drum rolls :steam:

Trk.7 "A Trick of the Tail" Dislike this Trk completely probably cos it was a commercial hit.I seem to remember a miniture Phil walking along a keyboard on the music video :lol:

Trk.8 "Los Endos" This is a good track, Phils drumming again reminds me very much of his work with Brand X! Fantastic keyboard work, the mellotron is really good..

It's a LP defo on par with 'Selling England By The Pound'

All in all a very well produced LP, Superb tight deep bass.. beautiful Cover art in which the characters depicts the songs very well, Some of Tony Banks finest work imho..however i would rather listern to some of these tracks on the 'Seconds Out' LP.

Audioman
23-03-2013, 12:40
Trk.7 "A Trick of the Tail" Dislike this Trk completely probably cos it was a commercial hit.I seem to remember a miniture Phil walking along a keyboard on the music video

Andre, Would agree with most of this but 'Trick Of The Tail' single was not a commercial hit. 'I know What I Like In Your Wardrobe' (no 21) was Genesis only Gabriel 'hit' and 'Your Own Special Way' from 'Wind and Wuthering' landed just outside the top 40. Their next and first major hit was 'Match Of the Day' from 'Spot the Pigeon' EP (14) followed by 'Follow You Follow Me' (7) which I unapologetically think is great even though yourself and others hate it. It's between 'Trick' and 'Selling England' for my favourite album though.

MartinT
23-03-2013, 12:48
Follow You Follow Me is a great track. Wasn't Many Too Many also a charting single?

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 12:55
Paul
The last time i looked ''Trick Of The Tail'' Single reached No.3 in the UK charts with accompanying Video makes that a hit in my book.

btw: i don't hate the LP on the contrary.

Martin: Yes it was

Audioman
23-03-2013, 13:26
Paul
The last time i looked ''Trick Of The Tail'' Single reached No.3 in the UK charts with accompanying Video makes that a hit in my book.

btw: i don't hate the LP on the contrary.

Martin: Yes it was

I think you are confusing the album with the single.

Follow You Follow Me is a great track. Wasn't Many Too Many also a charting single?

Only 43.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_discography

Rare Bird
23-03-2013, 14:51
I think your right, i stand corrected however is does sound to me very commercial hit material type song & was obviously intended to be so.

Rare Bird
24-03-2013, 21:16
What label/cat No is the YES 'Topographics', 'TheYes Album' & 'Time & A Word'? & the Spirit LP?

Scott please??

daytona600
29-03-2013, 15:43
Sorry rare bird , just noticed this post
all three yes albums you list see below , recent usa pressings
not had a chance to play them yet
have all the new yes albums i stock & Sacds + small selection of japanese blu spec cds + shm-cd

Spirit Spirit are MOV sony/music on vinyl , not played yet but do own dozens of Mov myself

Featured in Michael Fremer's Heavy Rotation in the September 2010 Issue of Stereophile!

180g Audiophile Vinyl Mastered by Friday Music's Joe Reagoso & Capitol Records' Ron McMaster From Original Atlantic Records Tapes!

Fans have been requesting this title for the audiophile format for years...and Friday Music is much honored to oblige.

Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Peter Banks, Bill Bruford and Tony Kaye created this masterpiece in 1970. The stunning musicianship partnering with the voice of Jon Anderson truly made this one of the more memorable albums from that decade.

With such concert and fan favorites like the smashes Sweet Dreams, Then, and the pivotal ballad Time And A Word, this album was not only a prog-rock pleaser, but an all around classic rock event, which has stood the test of time to this day.

Stephen Stills' classic Everydays gets the five star treatment from this English quintet, plus the all time Yes track Astral Traveller is also featured on this stunning release.

Mastered from the original Atlantic Records tapes by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music Studios and at Capitol Records with Ron McMaster, Time And A Word also includes for the first time in North American gatefold the original rare U.K. album artwork, as well as a poly sleeve for the LP and a poly sleeve for the album jacket to protect your recording for years to come.

Features:
• Limited Edition
• 180g Audiophile Vinyl
• Mastered from Original Atlantic Records Tapes
• Mastered by Joe Reagoso & Ron McMaster at Friday Music & Capitol Records

yes - the ladder 2x180g , limited edition 1000 copies is on eagle rock i think