PDA

View Full Version : Help! playing Beatles records

smudge314
12-03-2009, 18:28
Hi, New to the forum please help me solve this problem.
All my records play great on my turntable except original Beatles records. Does the problem lie with my speakers or is it my speaker cable.
When i play a Beatles record the vocals are low and the harmony is over played in parts, there is no problem playing them through my Grados.

My Kit: Cyrus 6vs,cyrus 6, Wharfedale Evo 8,Nad pp2,Silver Aniversary XT cable

Beechwoods
12-03-2009, 19:59
Hi there Smudge ;)

Stupid question, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you sure your speakers are in-phase? You say it sounds OK over your headphones. Phase issues could cause mono sources to sound diffused and wishy-washy. With mono sources (are your Beatles records mono?) the sound should be clearly located in-between the speakers. If they sound like they extend outside the speakers once speaker could be wired wrongly... Try putting your speakers close together and facing each other. Do they seem to get quieter (cancel each other out) as you move them towards each other...?

smudge314
12-03-2009, 20:11
Thanks for the reply.
It wasn't a stupid question. When i was checking the polarity i noticed an even stupider mistake. I was running my right speaker from the biwire output of the left speaker instead. The sound difference as you can imagine is massive. I thought i had a problem with my speakers and now it is like getting an upgrade.
Kind regards
Chris

Beechwoods
12-03-2009, 20:17
Excellent! I'm glad you got it sorted!

Do stick around, and if you're feeling up to it, say hello and a bit about your system in the 'Welcome' forum. It's always good to have a new member stop by :)

break-3
12-03-2009, 20:27
It's amazing how easily these things are done. :)

Alex_UK
13-09-2010, 06:01
Yes, I've done something similar - connected the interconnect the wrong way - took me a few days to realise what was wrong... :doh:

DSJR
13-09-2010, 08:50
Beatles' records are perfect for phase checking as so many mixes were exaggerated stereo. Rubber Soul in stereo was vocals on one channel and backing on the other..

spendorman
13-09-2010, 09:18
"Help! playing Beatles records"

I thought that it was the Beatles that played Help!

Sorry!

I have to admit that on occasions I have accidentally wired one speaker out of phase. Usually from using badly marked or non marked cables.