PDA

View Full Version : Arcam????????

Floyddroid
29-12-2012, 16:49
I don't see many posts about Arcam gear on the forum. I have been hearing some good things about it too.

sparrow
29-12-2012, 19:37
I use an Arcam amp...does what it says on the tin 8 years old and never had any problems. It's on all day sometimes.

DSJR
29-12-2012, 19:59
SOME Arcam is very good indeed, but I have too many memories of the WTF-tuned amps that won loads of five-star reviews (Alpha 8 and Delta 60 amps for example) and these were horrible, harsh and nasty. Apparently some of the amps that got great reviews in WTF had some slight instability/ringing deliberately applied to make the sound more "exciting!"

On the other hand, some of the later Arcam amps sounded lazy and under-supplied! I remember comparing the similar looking A80 to the A90 IIRC the numbers, the bigger one having far more capability.

I'll happily share my experiences if you find one that looks interesting. At their best, they're very good indeed, as said above, and should be easy to service.

hifinutt
29-12-2012, 20:11
enjoyed arcam gear many times
from the supersmooth cd23 cd player to the mighty P1 monoblocks with c31 pre amp
great service and back up from a great company

sparrow
29-12-2012, 22:23
I have noticed their gear is now very expensive...way out of my league..My amp cost £600 eight years ago...don't think I could afford even that much these days.

synsei
30-12-2012, 11:19
I've owned an Arcam CD72 cdp for just over a year and I am very happy with it. Bought it from ebay so I don't have a clue how old it is but it sounds wonderful and hasn't missed a beat. I used to run it through the Caiman until I discovered it sounded far better running straight into the DR5. I guess the onboard DAC must be pretty good...

DSJR
30-12-2012, 12:08
I'm very interested in their cheap "R" series. I bet this is where most of their business is these days..

Clothears
30-12-2012, 14:46
great service and back up from a great company

+1

Recently had a problem with my 18 month old CD17 that developed a fault loading discs. Went back to Arcam under warranty (I am not the original buyer BTW) and to cut a long story short they replaced it with a brand new unit, no hassle.

jon1
30-12-2012, 15:00
I have a alpha 5 plus cd player just as a spare transport:)

jon